Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 08:25 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

My large back yard has a nice variety of appropriate cacti and other plants for this region. I have 3 orange trees. One too close to the house, and I'm tired of picking up oranges off the ground every few days, especially when I don't eat oranges or drink orange juice (triggers my acid reflux something awful).

So I want to cut down two of the trees, but would then like to plant over the old root system some of those yellow flowering shrubs that are fairly common here. Is that going to be possible? Or is the orange tree root system too dense? And how would it be done?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2019, 10:25 AM

720 posts, read 733,642 times
Wish I had your problem - I have those flowery bushes and wish I can switch them with your orange trees! Buying mature citrus is so costly - why don't you go to a local nursery or ask your landscaper - they may pay you good money for it?

Old 11-22-2019, 11:31 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,722,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
My large back yard has a nice variety of appropriate cacti and other plants for this region. I have 3 orange trees. One too close to the house, and I'm tired of picking up oranges off the ground every few days, especially when I don't eat oranges or drink orange juice (triggers my acid reflux something awful).

So I want to cut down two of the trees, but would then like to plant over the old root system some of those yellow flowering shrubs that are fairly common here. Is that going to be possible? Or is the orange tree root system too dense? And how would it be done?

Thanks

In my experience here (5 sissoo, 1 palo verde, 1 ficus I think), the tree root system is going to depend on how the tree has been watered.
If the tree has been heavily watered near the base and the roots haven't been forced away from the trunk, you may have a nice "fist" of roots that can be dug up after cutting the tree down. If watered to the edge of the canopy, the roots might be more spread out.

I'm not sure how soon I would plant on top of any recently removed tree or shrub, I personally wait a year, but that's just me and not based on any science.

Old 11-22-2019, 11:47 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Thanks
Like smoochaz said, I wish I had your problem.

Old 11-22-2019, 03:20 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
How about giving them away to neighbors or posting on NextDoor?

Old 11-22-2019, 05:56 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
How about giving them away to neighbors or posting on NextDoor?

THIS is the way to do it; several people in our area do this all the time with lemons/grapefruits/oranges, etc, and the neighbors love it..

Old 11-22-2019, 06:20 PM

81 posts, read 73,827 times
I third these ideas of not wasting mature citrus. Even baby citrus trees cost $150. You’ve got something valuable.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:22 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,722,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate2345 View Post
I third these ideas of not wasting mature citrus. Even baby citrus trees cost $150. You’ve got something valuable.

Removing and replanting? Good luck with that. Most likely a huge waste of time and money and you'll most likely end up with a dead tree.

Old 11-23-2019, 09:49 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Removing and replanting? Good luck with that. Most likely a huge waste of time and money and you'll most likely end up with a dead tree.
I think you're right on this. These are fairly big trees. As far as giving away the citrus...so many people do that here in Sun City West that it mostly gets tossed anyways.

I do appreciate all the responses, though.

Old 11-23-2019, 10:56 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
No one is going to hand dig out mature orange trees to transplant without a costly mechanical tree spade service.
Have a gardener cut the trees down as far as possible, then hire a tree grinder service to take out the stump and the surrounding cut roots. Back fill hole with good growing soil then plant whatever you want that fits the area. If you're going to plant cacti there then fill with a cacti mix for good drainage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area