Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2019, 05:59 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times

Advertisements

The NWS confirmed three tornados yesterday. There were two in Queen Creek and an EF1 in Paradise Valley. We are becoming Oklahoma. Multiple tornadoes are not unheard of but not common either.

And FWIW, I and others have taken the NWS to task for over-predicting storms, but in fairness, I have to hand it to them. They got these last two storms nearly perfectly predicted. This second was a bit late, but otherwise they called it right.

And we have had a couple of soakers that we really, really needed. Let's keep it up, mother nature. To heck with the snowbirds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2019, 06:00 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Here in NE Texas we are supposed to get that weather today - like you, I'm saying BRING IT ON!

Old 11-30-2019, 06:05 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,456,233 times
I'm glad there were actual tornadoes to justify the 4 AM alert on our mobile phones. It was definitely an interesting way to wake up way too early on a day off.

Old 11-30-2019, 02:30 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,730,458 times
All the action happens when I leave town!

Old 12-03-2019, 06:30 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,301,155 times
One of them went through my neighborhood.

At exactly 4 AM I was woken by a very loud sound, it sounded like 40 huge trucks speeding down my street at once. I very loud rumbling, but worse than that. Hard to explain. I couldn't figure out what the heck was happening! I sleep with a fan on year round so I normally don't hear anything outside, so it had to be loud for me to be able to hear it, let alone wake me up!

I had no damage at my house, but a couple of blocks away an AC unit and part of a roof was blown off a building and dropped in someone's yard. Lost of uprooted trees not far away, too.

I just think it is funny that I live in the Midwest, in Tornado Alley even, for my entire life before moving here and this is the closest I have ever been to a tornado. In Arizona!

Old 12-03-2019, 06:40 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,171,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
One of them went through my neighborhood.

At exactly 4 AM I was woken by a very loud sound, it sounded like 40 huge trucks speeding down my street at once. I very loud rumbling, but worse than that. Hard to explain. I couldn't figure out what the heck was happening! I sleep with a fan on year round so I normally don't hear anything outside, so it had to be loud for me to be able to hear it, let alone wake me up!

I had no damage at my house, but a couple of blocks away an AC unit and part of a roof was blown off a building and dropped in someone's yard. Lost of uprooted trees not far away, too.

I just think it is funny that I live in the Midwest, in Tornado Alley even, for my entire life before moving here and this is the closest I have ever been to a tornado. In Arizona!
When did you figure out it was a tornado?

Old 12-03-2019, 06:53 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,301,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
When did you figure out it was a tornado?
Well, I had a good idea when I checked my phone right away and there was a tornado warning. The warning pinpointed exactly where the threat was using cross streets and it was close.

I then pulled up the radar on my Weather.com app and could see where it likely was. Living in the Midwest and watching enough severe weather reports has taught me what possible tornado rotation looks like, and I could see the hint of the "hook" the radar shows when there is rotation. At that point I didn't completely think it was a tornado until later in the day when the NWS confirmed that there was, then I was able to piece it all together. As the day went on Friday I learned about damage in the area from posts on Nextdoor.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:54 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,958,501 times
The one in the San Tan Mall Area went right over my house. I got the alert 5 minutes after it had passed over. The wind sounded different than a regular microburst or monsoon storm. Damage was slightly different too. Only real damage was a few downed trees in the path and a few neighbors shade structures. I had a few things in the back yard that looked picked up and moved, but not blown over. Wierd. I heard it was an EF0 so we have probably had worse wind speed wise during the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area