Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is a possible housing value correction coming to Phoenix
Yes there will be a correction 50 42.37%
No prices will always go up in Phoenix forever. 18 15.25%
I hope they go down because I want to buy a house 18 15.25%
There will be a correction eventually but it will be "A SOFT LANDING"-ALAN GREENSPAN 32 27.12%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 09:32 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,029,735 times

Advertisements

The Scottsdale winter luxury home buying season kicks off in a week or so with Barrett-Jackson and the other collector car auctions. There are several palatial remodels within walking distance of my home. Should be interesting to see what interest and prices they command.

Old 01-03-2020, 09:52 AM

4 posts, read 2,848 times
I think if someone is moving to the Phoenix area it is "relative"
from what City they are moving from, especially if they are older, and retired. We are selling our house in Northern CA., (which is not priced as high as most of CA. south of us.) Our house will probably sell for $430K to $450K, the most it has been valued since we bought it 20 years ago. And we plan on buying a smaller house in SunCity West for $250K to $270; less Taxes and over head to maintain it. So even if the house in SunCity goes down in value our house in No.CA. will go down more, I believe. At this point there are more people leaving CA. then moving here and with all the Fires, causing House Insurance to continue to go up and PG&E shutting off our Utilities, more people will be leaving in the coming years.

Old 01-03-2020, 12:29 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,292,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman1 View Post
Housing is still too “cheap” here compared to LA, SD, Denver, Seattle, Dallas, etc. Pricing is definitely not inflated in comparison.
It's "too cheap?" I think the market dictates the prices, not you.

Old 01-03-2020, 12:30 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,852,098 times
The downside to all of this is if there’s a downturn in the market it will be worse economically for a lot of people than in the past, because renting if not buying needs even more of a correction. One bedrooms in Mesa for $1400/month? I mean come on. I’d never pay that much to live in Mesa. Rents starting at 1000 and steeply climbing in Ahwatukee? Close to 2000 in Downtown and Scottsdale?

Rental companies are committing highway robbery. I rent a SFH from a landlord and it’s a significantly better deal than any apartment can get me. I’d do even better with a condo rental from a landlord. These rental management companies need to be reigned in....

As a public sector employee I make a fair amount of money, not a whole lot. If I had a decent down payment I’d be way better off buying here. The downside? I don’t have the down payment. And with rents like this I’ll never be able to have one.

Old 01-03-2020, 04:02 PM

381 posts, read 346,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
It's "too cheap?" I think the market dictates the prices, not you.
My point is that it is inexpensive in comparison to surrounding metro areas and thus pricing is not likely to decline significantly. I’m not saying prices should be higher.

Old 01-03-2020, 05:34 PM

81 posts, read 74,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
The downside to all of this is if there’s a downturn in the market it will be worse economically for a lot of people than in the past, because renting if not buying needs even more of a correction. One bedrooms in Mesa for $1400/month? I mean come on. I’d never pay that much to live in Mesa. Rents starting at 1000 and steeply climbing in Ahwatukee? Close to 2000 in Downtown and Scottsdale?

Rental companies are committing highway robbery. I rent a SFH from a landlord and it’s a significantly better deal than any apartment can get me. I’d do even better with a condo rental from a landlord. These rental management companies need to be reigned in....

As a public sector employee I make a fair amount of money, not a whole lot. If I had a decent down payment I’d be way better off buying here. The downside? I don’t have the down payment. And with rents like this I’ll never be able to have one.
Prickly Pear, you don’t even need that much of a down payment to buy a home. For those of low or moderate income, you possible need NONE. But you can get a conventional 3% down. If you’re a first time buyer cash out your IRA.

Old 01-03-2020, 07:31 PM

87 posts, read 44,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate2345 View Post
Prickly Pear, you don’t even need that much of a down payment to buy a home. For those of low or moderate income, you possible need NONE. But you can get a conventional 3% down. If you’re a first time buyer cash out your IRA.
Cashing out an IRA to pay for an overvalued asset is not a smart decision. If you need to purchase soon, I would wait until you have at least 10-20% to put down on a property before buying. You may have to move to a lower cost area in order to achieve this.

Don't let others convince you that asset prices can keep increasing irrespective of wages in the long term. Debt can fill in the gap, but only so long.

Last edited by DatBoiLavoi; 01-03-2020 at 07:55 PM..

Old 01-03-2020, 07:47 PM

13,977 posts, read 8,140,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post

The property management company recommends a rent but the owner makes the final decision.

However, I agree it's best to rent direct. You meet the owner, they meet you.

My renters call me up for something and I'm over there within a hour. In turn I expect them to abide by the terms of the lease agreement.

I've got my own bills to pay so I insist rent be paid on the 1st of the month.

If I have to chase down the rent, find out AC filters aren't being changed or someone is living there who shouldn't be the lease will not be renewed.

Out you go.

On the other hand I won't raise much assuming I do if renters pay on time and take care of my property.

It's not rocket science. I was a renter for over 30 years. I paid on time and took care of the apartment. Always got along with the owner.

Old 01-03-2020, 09:24 PM

1,336 posts, read 934,073 times
This is sounding like talk we had in SF Bay Area in the early 2000s... look where that ended up.

Old 01-04-2020, 06:40 PM

81 posts, read 74,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoiLavoi View Post
Cashing out an IRA to pay for an overvalued asset is not a smart decision. If you need to purchase soon, I would wait until you have at least 10-20% to put down on a property before buying. You may have to move to a lower cost area in order to achieve this.

Don't let others convince you that asset prices can keep increasing irrespective of wages in the long term. Debt can fill in the gap, but only so long.
I think the financial advantage to owning a home isn’t increasing equity but because you freeze your rent. Most people can’t save 20% of anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area