Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 11:22 AM

22 posts, read 74,116 times

Advertisements

IS anyone else seeing a possibly price correction looming in the R.E. market particularly in areas like Lincoln, Wellesley, Dover, Concord, Sudbury and in the over $1.2 million bracket? Feels like it's more than a seasonal slow down. One realtor told me that the millenials eschew the over $million large suburban homes and prefer renting or smaller more urban style places under a million. And many empty nesters are the same. Anyone have stories to support this? I've found several articles projecting a correction or very worse in the coming year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 01:31 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,236,397 times
The towns by 495 have not had the appreciation of towns along or inside of 128 since the recession.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:42 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,326,179 times
Doesn't surprise me if this is true. For years ive felt these areas seemed like a rip off. Sounds like other people feel the same as i do.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:54 PM

I think those towns are expensive because of all of the office building/businesses/labs in Burlington and Waltham. That's not changing.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:15 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,701,405 times
You see the same thing happening in Sharon. There is a ton of inventory but houses over $800k or so aren't moving nearly as fast, if it all.

The issue is deeper than Millennials not wanting these homes- they simply can't afford them.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:29 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,930,102 times
I think anecdotal explanations are best for describing trends, not predicting them. There will be a correction at some point. The market is always one recession away from a correction and there will be another recession. That's just the way it works. If you can predict when you'll be able to make a lot of money.

At some level there's only so much room for a certain price segment of given market to come down, namely the segment below. As long as there is still upwards pricing pressure in a town at the entry level, its tough for bigger houses to fall that much as the segments can't cross. People may prefer to pay less for a smaller house, but they won't pay more (at least in the same town). So I'd be less worried about the $1m range in Wellesley where a starter home is in the $800-900k anyway. There may be a correction, but it will likely be at all levels.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:02 PM

652 posts, read 750,978 times
There isn't anywhere near enough starter or middle-income housing in desirable locations for people in their 20's and 30's within 128.

How are you supposed to afford a million dollar house, or really any house in the area on a median household income of 67k?

Old 07-18-2017, 10:08 PM

193 posts, read 279,148 times
I would argue that it is not millennials but Asians who are driving the markets in at least some of the towns you mentioned.

The school systems are also rock solid.

Finally, more and more jobs are cropping up along the 128 corridor.

Frankly, if the markets overall continue to advance, then both Somerville and the towns you mentioned will do well. With how hot Somerville has been, I think the time for huge gains has already passed. That said, Somerville is still probably a pretty good investment.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:33 PM

I don't understand why somerville is so expensive. East Somerville basically looks the same as somewhere like Everett. Yet it costs twice as much. I don't get the allure.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:31 AM

880 posts, read 820,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwbms28 View Post
I would argue that it is not millennials but Asians who are driving the markets in at least some of the towns you mentioned.

The school systems are also rock solid.

Finally, more and more jobs are cropping up along the 128 corridor.

Frankly, if the markets overall continue to advance, then both Somerville and the towns you mentioned will do well. With how hot Somerville has been, I think the time for huge gains has already passed. That said, Somerville is still probably a pretty good investment.

The driving factor is the high paying jobs, those who work in tech with 5+ years experience usually have incomes around 120k-160k. If both spouses are in the same field a 300k HHI can easily support a 1M+ house (if they think both jobs are secure).

In many cases, a 10+ year experience in a top tech firm can yield 200k base salary with ivy credentials or high skills

Until these jobs are threatened, houses in very good school districts close to tech companies will be somewhat stable...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts