Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is a possible housing value correction coming to Phoenix
Yes there will be a correction 50 42.37%
No prices will always go up in Phoenix forever. 18 15.25%
I hope they go down because I want to buy a house 18 15.25%
There will be a correction eventually but it will be "A SOFT LANDING"-ALAN GREENSPAN 32 27.12%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 09:10 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times

Advertisements

Re: a correction (which would have NOTHING to do with the OP's post). If we get a bad 2nd wave with COVID (we are in the 1st wave still) it could knock the legs out of part of the PHX RE market. The 2nd wave could start in October(ish). And it is normally worse. Also, people aren't thinking about the 3rd wave. For whatever reason, it is often the worst and longest wave.

If we have a 3rd wave and is bad and lasts a long time, we will all be in a world of hurt Personally, I think the stock market didn't anticipate properly. RE included.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:14 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Re: a correction (which would have NOTHING to do with the OP's post). If we get a bad 2nd wave with COVID (we are in the 1st wave still) it could knock the legs out of part of the PHX RE market. The 2nd wave could start in October(ish). And it is normally worse. Also, people aren't thinking about the 3rd wave. For whatever reason, it is often the worst and longest wave.

If we have a 3rd wave and is bad and lasts a long time, we will all be in a world of hurt Personally, I think the stock market didn't anticipate properly. RE included.
Many doctors are saying that the first stage of a vaccine will start being given to elderly and first responders in as soon as September or October. If that's the case and one or two of the vaccines are working by then, I'm not going to worry about a third wave. At least not right now.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:05 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Many doctors are saying that the first stage of a vaccine will start being given to elderly and first responders in as soon as September or October. If that's the case and one or two of the vaccines are working by then, I'm not going to worry about a third wave. At least not right now.

There is no guarantee that a vaccine will be ready as soon as September. That is way ahead of all the timelines I have read. And anyone giving specific months of when a vaccine will be available is just doing wishful thinking.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:26 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
There is no guarantee that a vaccine will be ready as soon as September. That is way ahead of all the timelines I have read. And anyone giving specific months of when a vaccine will be available is just doing wishful thinking.
Nowhere did I say there is a guarantee, try reading the words on the screen. I merely said I'm not going to be concerned about a "third" wave at the moment. We're currently in the first wave and companies are busy making vaccines with the earliest possible dates in September or October.

Old 06-26-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Nowhere did I say there is a guarantee, try reading the words on the screen. I merely said I'm not going to be concerned about a "third" wave at the moment. We're currently in the first wave and companies are busy making vaccines with the earliest possible dates in September or October.
For all of our sakes, I REALLY hope we get something by around the 1st of the year that works. Not many experts are thinking that a "sterilizing" vaccine will ever happen. i.e., like polio or 100% cure. Rather, at best, a measle like a vaccine. So down the road when you get COVID, the impact will be minimized. Here is a great article that discussed what I just mentioned. It's worth the read https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/22/...g-their-power/ Statnews is a trusted source.

As I have mentioned before in earlier posts, I cater to technical customers. Coincidentally, I was talking to a new customer on Wednesday who is a scientist that use to work with the development of vaccines. I asked what his former colleagues think will happen with the vaccine. His personal opinion was there was no chance of a sterilizing vaccine. And the article I linked seemed to agree. He said that most people who are closer to this assumption that the absolutely earliest worthy vaccine will be February. These are nothing more than educated guesses. But it got me thinking a little differently. My customer was also the person who introduced my brain to the 3 waves which I've never thought about before. And according to him, there will be three waves. The question will be if the 3rd wave will be minimized because of a decent vaccine. This is way over my paygrade, but I thought I would share.

So like the Harvard researchers that were in the linked article, he also suspects it's going to take two rounds of development. If round one gets close to make an impact by even Feb, he thinks we will be lucky. Fingers crossed.

Next, I was talking to a customer that is the VP of credit at a large international bank. The kind of guy who says, SWA would have to approve loans to say SWA or other big companies. We were talking about what airlines are modeling for revenue and he said they assume terrible travel for at least 12 months. His POV was the stock market euphoria is banked on 2 things. 1. A fairly fast working vaccine and 2. fed policies that continue to fund the crippled economy. Fr one prediction, he said that United will go down for the count. He thought Delta and SWA will survive. But wholly crap...
If big names tank, that will be some blow to the economy. Obviously the stock market assumes that we will climb in any amount of debt that it takes too. Probably so....

My point in all of this is that we agree, the economy and housing to some degree will be hinged on this vaccine. A whole lot of people are blindly assuming it's easy. I was in that camp until I did a little more reading on the topic. I'm glad I'm more liquid. Cash flow has been known to kill a lot of businesses. Which he mentioned they are concerned a lot of bankruptcies are coming this fall. It's going to get interesting and we all have a front-row seat.

Old 06-26-2020, 11:32 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Dr. Fauci said in an interview that he hoped there would be some vaccines by the 1st of the year and that they would be experimental and the people getting the vaccine would actually be guinnea pigs testing the formulas to see what actually works, and that it would probably be a year or more before a successful vaccine would be available for everyone.

Old 06-27-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Dr. Fauci said in an interview that he hoped there would be some vaccines by the 1st of the year and that they would be experimental and the people getting the vaccine would actually be guinnea pigs testing the formulas to see what actually works, and that it would probably be a year or more before a successful vaccine would be available for everyone.
If you happen to locate that interview, I would like to see it. It sounds like every technical mind is in an agreement. The politicians are giving us warm and fuzzies that September or January 1st is “hopeful”.

Old 06-27-2020, 07:56 AM

148 posts, read 151,452 times
For a virus that has a mortality rate less than 1 percent people should remember that. Yes it is horrible that anyone should lose their life over a disease that spread from China. But herd immunity and a vaccine should eliminate this soon. As far as vaccines go, will every one get it or will they shun it like they do the flu vaccine?

Old 06-27-2020, 10:44 AM

962 posts, read 468,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbound621 View Post
For a virus that has a mortality rate less than 1 percent people should remember that.

Mortality rate doesn't matter unless we get the spread under control. One percent of Americans, one percent of Arizonans, one percent of Phoenicians, or even just one percent of the people on my block is too many. And it's not just mortality. Many survivors, even those with mild symptoms, are suffering serious damage to their lungs and other organs. I suspect that in 30 years or so we'll be seeing a lot more people around town with oxygen tubes.

Quote:
Yes it is horrible that anyone should lose their life over a disease that spread from China.

I, for one, would gladly die as long as I could catch something that originated right here in the Good Ol' U S of A.

Quote:
But herd immunity and a vaccine should eliminate this soon.

We're a long way from herd immunity and the only way to get there is to sacrifice a lot of people. Neither herd immunity or a vaccine will eliminate this. More likely they will lessen the spread and the impact and the disease will settle in as a nasty flu-type thing that makes the rounds annually.

Quote:
As far as vaccines go, will every one get it or will they shun it like they do the flu vaccine?

There are many right here on C-D that have stated they will not get a vaccine. At least one person here even bought into the "just an excuse to inject us all with tracking chips" thing.

To get back to the topic at hand - I have many investments and my house isn't one of them. Don't care if I over-paid at peak and the market craters and the place is only worth pennies when I die from the Cleveland Flu. It's my home.

If you need to move for work or family or whatever and you are going from a down market area to a hot one, or vice versa, that's a situation that will always exist and you just need to deal with it.

If you're a real estate investor you take your risks and ride the cycles the same as with any other investment (or you get big enough for the Fed to bail you out when the market tanks).

Old 06-27-2020, 11:50 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,268,254 times
I won't get the vaccine. Sorry, I don't put things in my body that haven't had years of testing. I don't even get a flu shot. I know plenty of people in my camp on this issue. And it has nothing to do with Christianity or political ideology. A lot of natural (hippy type) people who typically vote to the left of center also won't get it. You know the type; people who use essential oils to treat strep throat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area