Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 09:37 PM

294 posts, read 990,133 times

Advertisements

Will be in town first week of January with wife and 2 kids. We have been down multiple times and covered some of the main sites such as Zoo, camelback hike, south mountain lookout, sedona, science center, mystery castle, wild horse pass, Mill ave, cracker jax, westgate, dolly steam boat, etc

We are into sight seeings, shopping and huge foodies and came up with the below itinerary. Would appreciate your help tweaking it.

Wed Jan 01
LUNCH: Culinary drop out
Shop Scottsdale fashion square, Scottdale Quarter and Kierland Dinner: Mastros Ocean Club or Ocean 44 or Durants

Thu Jan 02
LUNCH: In-N-Out or The Stand for burgers
Tempe town lake/Tempe Beach park - rent scooters
Double Butte loop and Hole in the Rock trail - Papago Park Desert Botanical Garden
Dinner: Hana Sushi or Nandini

Fri Jan 03
Tanger outlets Glendale
LUNCH: Hot N Juicy Crawfish or Monroes Hot Chicken
First Friday Rooselvelt Row - street festival
DINNER: Pizzeria Bianco

Sat Jan 04
Great Wolf Lodge

Sun Jan 05
Top Golf
LUNCH: Jalapeno Bucks or Nogales Hot Dogs

What would you suggest for pizza? steak? burgers? middle eastern/indian food? Thai or vietnamese?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 11:56 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,974,718 times
I have been living in Thailand for six years, and when I lived in Phoenix, I really liked Thai Lahna, which is northern Thai at approx 38th St and Indian School. Another one that had a great lunch menu is Thai Rama at 12th Ave. and Camelback, which is also very close to some well known Viet places..that others have mentioned.

https://thailahna.com/

Thai Rama | Authentic Thai Cuisine

Old 12-29-2019, 06:23 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,526,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamteam View Post

What would you suggest for steak? burgers?
Steak;
Durants

Burgers;
https://www.wildhorsewest.com/

Old 12-29-2019, 06:53 AM

383 posts, read 635,449 times
I hope it warms up. The temp in midtown Phoenix this morning is 33 degrees.

Old 12-29-2019, 07:18 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,993,050 times
If your itinerary does not include Chino Bandido your itinerary is wrong.

Old 12-29-2019, 10:07 AM

640 posts, read 958,177 times
Steaks: As a foodie, you might be disappointed in Durants. Don’t get me wrong, it is one of my favorite restaurants, but that is because they get extra credit for the atmosphere and history. Food is good, but you can get a better steak (and sides)at Dominicks or Steak 44 (same ownership). I’d recommend either of those.

Unless you need to go back to your hotel before dinner, since you are planning to be at Kierland/The Quarter already that afternoon, I would go with Dominicks.

Burgers: Highly recommend Cold Beers and Cheeseburgers. Great burgers and atmosphere.

Pizza: really depends on what type of pizza you are looking for because you can get every style imaginable. Spinatos is my favorite by far. Oreganos is second. If you like Neapolitan, Pomo is very good. Mora is great Italian (owned by the Pomo people) and is another great option.

Old 12-29-2019, 10:23 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times
Isn’t Mora Scott Conant’s? Did the people behind Pomo team up with him? Either way, it’s a very good spot. Great recommendations, but I cannot stand Spinato’s because their sauce is so sweet. Some like that, but just FYI in case one doesn’t.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:55 PM

640 posts, read 958,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Isn’t Mora Scott Conant’s? Did the people behind Pomo team up with him? Either way, it’s a very good spot. Great recommendations, but I cannot stand Spinato’s because their sauce is so sweet. Some like that, but just FYI in case one doesn’t.
Not sure and I could be wrong, but had heard somewhere that they are connected.

Old 12-30-2019, 05:25 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,171,717 times
Quote:
Will be in town first week of January with wife and 2 kids. We have been down multiple times and covered some of the main sites such as Zoo, camelback hike, south mountain lookout, sedona, science center, mystery castle, wild horse pass, Mill ave, cracker jax, westgate, dolly steam boat, etc

We are into sight seeings, shopping and huge foodies and came up with the below itinerary. Would appreciate your help tweaking it.

Wed Jan 01
Shop Scottsdale fashion square, Scottdale Quarter and Kierland Dinner: Mastros Ocean Club or Ocean 44 or Durants

Thu Jan 02
Double Butte loop and Hole in the Rock trail - Papago Park Desert Botanical Garden

Fri Jan 03
Tanger outlets Glendale

Sat Jan 04
Great Wolf Lodge

Sun Jan 05
Top Golf

What would you suggest for pizza? steak? burgers? middle eastern/indian food? Thai or vietnamese?

* I've been to Pizzeria Bianco a few times. We bought a few different versions and shared some slices. It's good pizza but highly overrated. I bet you will agree it's 80% hype (groupthink). The vibe of the area beats the food. I'm not saying it isn't good pizza. It is. I'm saying the accolades are unwarranted according to my taste buds. Try it and post your subjective opinion. Like you, I HAD to see what all the hype is all about. Conclusion: hype. Maybe order a small pie to share. If it's "good", consider it an appetizer and save the real estate in your stomach for something better. If your head snaps back and you think the reviews are warranted, buy another. We expect some honest feedback.

* In and Out Burger? A waste of time as it is a B caliber burger (better than average for a chain which isn't saying much). I eat at In and Out. But I'm indifferent between the Culver's, Smash Burger, and Freddie's chains. One of 300 local restaurants can beat them. Since you are in the area, give Zinburger a try. Maybe buy one burger to share in order to check it off the bucket list.

* Hot N Juicy Crawfish?? We are in a desert. Save it for New Orleans.

Finally, the outlet malls near Westgate are fine and all. It's just another Tanger outlet. I'm not a shopper. But others can point you to a unique experience unless you have a specific reason why you want to travel from out of state to visit another outlet mall. YMMV of course.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 12-30-2019 at 05:35 AM..

Old 12-30-2019, 06:06 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,456,233 times
Quote:

Wed Jan 01

Thu Jan 02

Fri Jan 03
Tanger outlets Glendale

Sat Jan 04
Great Wolf Lodge

Sun Jan 05
Top Golf

The only critique I have of your proposed itinerary is that Day 3 has you making a long trek to the west side for factory outlets that you can find anywhere. I'm not sure it's worth the trip unless you do something else there. A hike at White Tank Mountain Regional Park or a visit to the World Wildlife Zoo might be good.

Some specific suggestions in response to your questions:

Pizza -- I think Pizzeria Bianco is as good as its reputation, especially now that there are no longer waits of multiple hours to get a table. Adding lunch hours and a second location fixed that problem. I prefer the Heritage Square location, and that address definitely makes sense if you'll be nearby for First Friday. In downtown Phoenix, I also like Pomo and La Piazza. Both serve the traditional Neapolitan style. If far north Scottsdale, I like LAMP. It's near some good hiking trails in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve, if you are looking for something to combine with your meal. A new arrival for pizza that is getting a lot of favorable reviews is Myke's Pizza. It's housed inside Cider Corps in downtown Mesa. You could combine that with a visit to the Arizona Museum of Natural History, the i.d.e.a. Museum, or the Mesa Center for the Arts.

Steak -- I'm loyal to Durant's and the Stockyards. Both offer steak with a side of history. The Stockyards is situated closed to the Desert Botanical Garden, the Phoenix Zoo, and Tempe Town Lake.

Burgers -- The Chuckbox for an informal, backyard cook-out like experience in downtown Tempe. Arizona Wildnerness Brewing Company on Roosevelt Row in Phoenix for good burgers with craft beer in an outdoor atmosphere.

Middle Eastern -- Phoenicia or Haji Baba in Tempe for familiar Lebanese foods. Mandhi House, also in Tempe, for Yemeni rice dishes.

Indian -- Indian Delhi Palace is near the zoo and botanical garden. You'll also find Udupi nearby for vegetarian food of southern India

Thai -- Thai Rama on Camelback, Wild Thaiger on Central, Thai Lotus on 19th Ave, and Thai Lahna on Indian School are among my favorites. Glai Baan on Indian School is getting a lot of attention for offering a street-food menu that is an alternative to the usual green/red/yellow curry options.

Vietnamese -- I like Pho Thanh in central Phoenix and Kai Hoan in Tempe; however, the deepest dive into Vietnamese food can be found at Mekong Plaza in west Mesa. Up front, you'll find UnPhoGettable, which is a solid pho joint. Go into the food court however, and you'll be rewarded with places like Hue Gourmet, which offers regional specialties from central Vietnam not usually found in most restaurants. If you're looking for a destination to combine with Mekong Plaza, I'd suggest Riverview Park a mile-and-a-half to the north. It has impressive climbing structures, along with access to the Rio Salado Path for bicycling or walking.

Of course, I've just scratched the surface and probably omitted a thousand things. Enjoy your visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area