Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 02:41 PM

586 posts, read 542,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Understood, but I never called that area "BFE". I believe another poster called it that, but I have admittedly referred to it as exurban & far flung, among other things. Obviously, there are quite a few of us who see it that way because it's inconvenient for a good share of the population. At least I'm glad you can agree that Westgate is in a poor location. That's why I stand by my argument that if it was put in a more established area with infrastructure already in place, the financial mess wouldn't have happened. Relying on new growth to spur economic activity is too risky, and it's baffling to me why we never seemed to learn from this mistake.

The Coyotes were fine in their downtown location. Nothing wrong with sharing an arena with another pro team. Granted, ice hockey doesn't have a huge attendance here no matter where the arena is, but the best place to put these things always has been and always will be in a centralized area more than an exurban area.
The Coyotes weren't fine downtown,a quarter of the seating had a blocked view. And FTR the Coyotes draw within a 1000 of the Suns most years and that has been without an owner, going bankrupt, and apparently having an arena in a terrible location.

Old 01-03-2020, 04:07 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,929,435 times
and, when they win the Cup this year, it will be whole different story!

Old 01-03-2020, 08:25 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
The Coyotes weren't fine downtown,a quarter of the seating had a blocked view. And FTR the Coyotes draw within a 1000 of the Suns most years and that has been without an owner, going bankrupt, and apparently having an arena in a terrible location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
and, when they win the Cup this year, it will be whole different story!
If they have a chance at winning the Stanley this year, maybe they'll finally get enough of an attendance, resulting in more revenue from ticket sales so that the league & the sponsors can support the team on their own without having to sponge off the taxpayers any longer. Wishful thinking, right?
()

Old 01-03-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
If they have a chance at winning the Stanley this year, maybe they'll finally get enough of an attendance, resulting in more revenue from ticket sales so that the league & the sponsors can support the team on their own without having to sponge off the taxpayers any longer. Wishful thinking, right?
()

They really should just be paying their own way like the Suns!! Oh wait??

Old 01-03-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
()
I thought I read they averaged over 11000 fans per game last y ear..not bad for a hockey team in the desert..

and, all that will change if and when they can win a cup..

look at how exciting the Cardinals were this year, after just winning 2 more games than last y ear; just wait until they go 8-8!!

Old 01-04-2020, 06:43 AM

717 posts, read 1,060,316 times
The coyotes and suns should have made a deal to retrofit the downtown arena for hockey. We don’t need separate arenas for both- that’s stupid and wasteful. Not even famed franchises like the bruins, blackhawks, or rangers have separate arenas. Furthermore, hockey is better off in central city, not in some exurban cotton field or off on an Indian reservation.

Old 01-04-2020, 07:03 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,285,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
The coyotes and suns should have made a deal to retrofit the downtown arena for hockey. We don’t need separate arenas for both- that’s stupid and wasteful. Not even famed franchises like the bruins, blackhawks, or rangers have separate arenas. Furthermore, hockey is better off in central city, not in some exurban cotton field or off on an Indian reservation.
I couldn't agree more. They should have created something similar to the Staples Center in LA or Little Caesars Arena in Detroit. Mix-use arena housing basketball and hockey in a prime central location. That would have been amazing.

Old 01-04-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
I thought I read they averaged over 11000 fans per game last y ear..not bad for a hockey team in the desert..

and, all that will change if and when they can win a cup..

look at how exciting the Cardinals were this year, after just winning 2 more games than last y ear; just wait until they go 8-8!!
They averaged just under 14,000 last year and are up about 600 per night so far this year. Attendance is always better after Christmas.

Old 01-04-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post

I also agree but you can thank the Sun's Owner for refusing to cooperate.

Old 01-04-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
They averaged just under 14,000 last year and are up about 600 per night so far this year. Attendance is always better after Christmas.
more proof that if you put a winning team out there, the fans will come in large numbers, even for "hockey in the desert"..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area