Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2020, 09:19 PM

20 posts, read 22,730 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a move to the Phoenix area from Colorado. Based on time spent driving around the Phoenix area and researching online, McDowell Mountain Ranch in Scottsdale seems to be our best option. I would love feedback based on the criteria I've laid out below...

Why are we considering a move? We both work from home so we have a lot of flexibility. We enjoy trail running and mountain biking. Colorado has a great climate with lots of sun, but it's colder than we'd like and our trails are snow covered or wet for many months of the year.

Budget: Around $900K

Must haves:
* Family friendly neighborhood with a well regarded elementary school within the neighborhood so our kids can walk or ride their bikes to school.
* Neighborhood access to both paved and hiking/mountain bike trails. We enjoy being able to get out and ride/hike without needing to hop in a car.

Concerns:
* Air quality. From what I've seen the air quality in Phoenix is not great. Is it better in MMR and the northeastern suburbs?
* Gated community. I've never lived in a gated community and I don't like the idea of friends coming to visit and having to go through a gate. Seems pretentious. Do "normal" people live in gated communities in the Phoenix area? Maybe it's just a local thing and I'm making too big of a deal about it. I drive a 17 year old Honda Accord and don't care all that much about "prestige". With that being said, we want a nice house in an area with good schools and neighborhood access to mountain bike trails. Based on my research, Scottsdale and specifically MMR seems to be best based on those requirements. I'm hesitant to go further north into North Scottsdale or Fountain Hills because I'd still like to be somewhat close to the city for the occasional night out and don't want to be in a bedroom community with 50% retirees or snowbirds.

I know there are a million "I'm moving to Phoenix" threads, but I'd appreciate input based on my specific thoughts above. I tried to provide as much info as possible to prevent the thread from going sideways. And yes, we know Phoenix is hot in the summer!!

Last edited by Wags627; 01-26-2020 at 10:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2020, 09:29 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,284,926 times
There's non gated areas of McDowell Mountain Ranch but the nicer houses in MMR are behind the gates (100 Hills, Cimmaron Hills, etc). I think that area has what you're looking for and Maybe also consider Scottsdale Mountain, Hidden Hills.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:42 PM

720 posts, read 735,611 times
When we moved back in 2013 we bought in 85259 zip code, close to MMR but further east off via linda. We fell in love with the location backing into McDowell Mtn and our views are amazing; close to trails and kids can walk to the schools. I regretted for a long time not buying in MMR however, because my twins felt "stuck" in the home in the summer living very reclusive lives. My daughter freaked out initially because I wouldn't let her ride her bike on Via Linda - sorry it's like a friggin highway - they were very active where we lived in NJ and all of a sudden they just spent most of their time in their rooms - we built a pool but it was boring for both of them not surrounded by other kids. Also I have to make that trip to the 101 a couple times a day and that gets old real quick being 6+ miles away - scottsdale mountain and hidden hills mentioned above arefurther east and longer trips to the 101.

MMR is much closer to the 101 and the kids of MMR have community centers to collaborate and go swimming year round at the community pools; walk; bike; play basketball etc. have fun together - MMR doesn't have a public HS so the kids would get bussed to Desert Mountain HS unless they go private or charter. The issues I hear lately with MMR is that it's getting pretty crowded especially when there are events at Westworld or the Phoenix WM open - also if you're not used to desert "NAOS" and smaller lots with similar style homes it does get some getting used to.

Me personally coming from a green state with older homes - I enjoy McCormick Ranch - it is our little green oasis in Scottsdale with lakes and 11miles walk/bike greenbelt to satisfy that activity for adults and kids to venture on their own. I also like homes by Eldorado Park in the 85257 zip code - beautiful areas very close to Tempe and lots of new development along with older more custom style homes. Lots of other areas of course to cover here in this thread.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:55 PM

90 posts, read 69,629 times
85255 here.

Gated communities are sort of a pain in the ass. I live in one. It's hard with early morning ubers to the airport. I use Uber Eats and it's always a pain, too.

Do not like constantly lugging a gate key around. It definitely reeks of 'I'm important' but if you were important, you wouldn't be in Arizona. lol

The area is very nice, however. Lots of bike lanes up here, people aren't as pretentious as below the 101. Not as 'try hard' as those below Bell. Signature Frys are nice, AJs food, great hiking options.

My office has a 2nd floor patio that faces the McDowells and I get coffee and watch the sunrise every morning. You cannot beat that.

Old 01-27-2020, 06:41 PM

20 posts, read 22,730 times
Thanks to all for the thoughtful responses.

ASUfan: I'll check out those neighborhoods within MMR next month when we're down in AZ again.

SmoochAZ: Thanks for the McCormick Ranch suggestion. We'll check it out in February. I think we want to be closer to natural trails and just not paved trails, but it's definitely worth a look.

NewToaz: Good to hear from someone within one of the gated communities in MMR. Also good to know the people behind the gates can be level headed as well. I guess the gates are not that big of a deal and it's something I could overcome. It's just different from my current situation and what I was used to growing up.

Any thoughts from anyone on air quality? The air quality in Denver is awful, but we're 1,000 feet higher in Golden so it's not as bad. Wondering if the same can be said for the MMR area since it looks to be ~600 feet higher than Phoenix.

Last edited by Wags627; 01-27-2020 at 07:34 PM..

Old 01-28-2020, 10:01 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,279,811 times
I live in a gated community. I don't find it to be a pain at all. It's pretty much a non-issue. It's also nice if you have younger kids, because you know they are contained to one area, more or less. Plus, the wife seems to think it keeps us safer. I don't really buy into that, but if it helps her feel safe, then so be it.

As to air quality, we have quite a few days in the summer with unhealthy air. I don't have any breathing issues, so I honestly never notice a difference. I think it has to do with all of the air getting trapped in the valley. Someone much smarter than me could probably speak more on this topic.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:10 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,987,524 times
Here's the current air quality in the Phoenix metro (includes Scottsdale):

https://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm?act...city&cityid=33

And here's Denver:

https://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm?act...city&cityid=39

I think you and your family will love everything Scottsdale has to offer. There's always something going on.

Old 01-28-2020, 12:40 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,869,504 times
Youd have to live in the non gated portion of MMR in order to reasonably expect to walk or ride bikes to school. Like pretty much only live in the neighborhood right next to their schools.

I was in the same desires and priorities as you and heavily researched all the areas around there. A lot of the neighborhoods just didn't feel like communities to me. Many with no sidewalks, just desert rocks and pavement. Summers were not looking great for outdoor activities other than pool swimming (and your kids will love it for about a month). McCormick Ranch felt better to us too. I need trees, not everyone does... In the end, we found what we were looking for X 100 the next state over. Good luck!

Old 01-28-2020, 04:49 PM

472 posts, read 349,070 times
Grew up near here. Loved it. Went to Laguna elementary school, off lakeview near there. It was a great place to grow up. It is a lot bigger and busier now. Still seems like a great place though when I go back and visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area