Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 02:23 PM

154 posts, read 74,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommythomeland View Post
Black family of 4. Married with a 10 year old and a 6 year old, looking to start over and a change of scenery. I have a good paying job now making $20+/hr and live very comfortable but I’m stuck on nights and I’ve really been wanting to get away from the snow and storms. How are the jobs in Phoenix and do they pay well enough to live comfortable? Knowing it’s a desert, is it kid friendly with no grass backyards to play in? I hate tarantula and have a phobia of them as well.

$20/hour is good-paying?
You're raising a family of 4 on that salary? How? Do you live in a tent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 02:26 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,611,388 times
OP can easily live on $20/hr with a family of 4 if he/she's in a rural or low cost area (I can think of several - AL, MS, OK, WV, etc). It's not possible in most of the large metro areas though.

Old 02-23-2020, 12:47 PM

113 posts, read 103,501 times
I just wanted to confirm what others have said. It's not really affordable to live here anymore, there isn't any affordable apartments because they are all full or you have to be put on waiting list that is 5 years! Also, people are being evicted left and right. A lot of people are struggling to make ends meat here because everyone keeps moving here which drives up the cost of living. And the apartments that are being built are luxury apartments that nobody can afford.

I also moved here because of weather, and as soon as I did I wanted to go back!! So don't move somewhere just because of weather alone. I didn't listen to what other people said about this place and I wish I had.

Old 02-23-2020, 01:21 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,256,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommythomeland View Post
Black family of 4. Married with a 10 year old and a 6 year old, looking to start over and a change of scenery. I have a good paying job now making $20+/hr and live very comfortable but I’m stuck on nights and I’ve really been wanting to get away from the snow and storms. How are the jobs in Phoenix and do they pay well enough to live comfortable? Knowing it’s a desert, is it kid friendly with no grass backyards to play in? I hate tarantula and have a phobia of them as well.
This is going to sound harsh, but I don't care. We don't need people like you moving to Phoenix, and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with being black. It has to do with the fact that we don't need more low skilled, low income types moving here just because they want better weather or nicer scenery. Those are b.s. reasons to move anywhere! If you consider $16 to $20 per hour as "good paying", and have no intention of getting anything better, then please either stay where you are or find a place that has a cheap cost of living. Sorry to say, Phoenix isn't cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia616 View Post
I just wanted to confirm what others have said. It's not really affordable to live here anymore, there isn't any affordable apartments because they are all full or you have to be put on waiting list that is 5 years! Also, people are being evicted left and right. A lot of people are struggling to make ends meat here because everyone keeps moving here which drives up the cost of living. And the apartments that are being built are luxury apartments that nobody can afford.

I also moved here because of weather, and as soon as I did I wanted to go back!! So don't move somewhere just because of weather alone. I didn't listen to what other people said about this place and I wish I had.
Thank you! This entire post speaks the truth ... although, I personally consider the rise in housing costs & rental units to be more positive than negative for different reasons. Mainly, it's because of what I said before: we don't need cheap people moving here for cheap reasons. We've had more than enough transplants only moving here for the weather, which as you found out, is not a good reason to move anywhere. Other things like jobs & income take priority, especially when moving to a large city.

Old 02-24-2020, 09:03 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
This is going to sound harsh, but I don't care. We don't need people like you moving to Phoenix, and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with being black. It has to do with the fact that we don't need more low skilled, low income types moving here just because they want better weather or nicer scenery. Those are b.s. reasons to move anywhere! If you consider $16 to $20 per hour as "good paying", and have no intention of getting anything better, then please either stay where you are or find a place that has a cheap cost of living. Sorry to say, Phoenix isn't cheap.

Thank you! This entire post speaks the truth ... although, I personally consider the rise in housing costs & rental units to be more positive than negative for different reasons. Mainly, it's because of what I said before: we don't need cheap people moving here for cheap reasons. We've had more than enough transplants only moving here for the weather, which as you found out, is not a good reason to move anywhere. Other things like jobs & income take priority, especially when moving to a large city.
Of course the weather is a good reason to move somewhere. If you hate cold and snow, or have seasonal depression, no amount of trying to delude yourself or look at the brightside will make a cold climate warmer or less snowy

I had enough winter weather to last a lifetime after the 18 years I lived in NY. I don't complain about our weather at all here, even in summer

Old 02-24-2020, 09:36 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,256,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Of course the weather is a good reason to move somewhere. If you hate cold and snow, or have seasonal depression, no amount of trying to delude yourself or look at the brightside will make a cold climate warmer or less snowy

I had enough winter weather to last a lifetime after the 18 years I lived in NY. I don't complain about our weather at all here, even in summer
It goes beyond this. The OP indicated that a salary of $20 per hour is "good paying" and he has no intentions of seeking anything other than entry level at $16 per hour if he moves here. If he's supporting a family on that kind of income, he's not going to do well here at all. Phoenix is no longer an inexpensive place to live, and it shouldn't be. We don't need cheap minded people to keep moving here mainly for sunshine or scenery. There are small rural towns which would fit the OP's needs better if that's all he's moving for.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:11 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
It goes beyond this. The OP indicated that a salary of $20 per hour is "good paying" and he has no intentions of seeking anything other than entry level at $16 per hour if he moves here. If he's supporting a family on that kind of income, he's not going to do well here at all. Phoenix is no longer an inexpensive place to live, and it shouldn't be. We don't need cheap minded people to keep moving here mainly for sunshine or scenery. There are small rural towns which would fit the OP's needs better if that's all he's moving for.
$20/hr is good if you get regular OT, like in my field. It adds up

Old 02-25-2020, 07:53 AM

113 posts, read 103,501 times
Quote:

You're welcome. I agree with what you said as well, it's perfectly fine to sound harsh because people need to hear the truth. That's the point of making posts on here is to hear the truth from the people who live in other cities. I disagree with the cost of living, because with the cost going up a lot of people are becoming homeless in a place where you can't get any help of getting into an apartment. Which also looks really bad on the city and state as well. Most of the homeless are families and senior citizens who live off of disability and can't afford the rising costs. Just look at this website.

https://phoenixrescuemission.org/homelessness/

And to the OP, you have a stable job where you're at why do you want to risk that just for better weather?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: