Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 11:58 AM

8 posts, read 8,723 times

Advertisements

I'm currently crashing a friend's couch, but am looking to move out and live on my own (or with a roommate).

I did find a part-time waitressing job (having had previous serving experience) pretty quickly, and can probably afford ~$500/month (give or take an extra $100).

I work in Old Town Scottsdale, so would prefer something within relatively short commuting distance. Is DT PHX the only place that would work?

I'd prefer to live somewhere with others around my age (mid-20s) with some things to do at night. I don't need clubs or anything like that, just maybe some cute neighborhood bars/cafes/restaurants. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 12:45 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,108,645 times
Downtown Phoenix will almost certainly be too expensive for anything remotely decent or safe. At that price point your best bet is an older student apartment building within a mile or so of ASU. You should be able to find that to split with a roommate for $500/mo and you'll be around people your age, not too far from Old Town, and still walking or easy biking distance to everything there is to do in downtown Tempe/ASU area.

Old 02-25-2020, 01:07 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,863,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Downtown Phoenix will almost certainly be too expensive for anything remotely decent or safe. At that price point your best bet is an older student apartment building within a mile or so of ASU. You should be able to find that to split with a roommate for $500/mo and you'll be around people your age, not too far from Old Town, and still walking or easy biking distance to everything there is to do in downtown Tempe/ASU area.
If you are looking in this area where I currently live you are better off with a house that’s not under rentmeasu (that landlord is known to sue and evict a lot of tenants). I pay $630 with two roommates for a house, before utilities. The apartments cost quite a bit more than my historic house, especially the closer you are to Mill Ave and just west of Mill (in Maple-Ash).

I live east of ASU by about a mile and it’s still fairly expensive but a lot less so. DT Tempe next to ASU and Old Town are the two most expensive neighborhoods, with DT Phoenix probably tied, so you’ll never be able to afford your own place in these areas. 1 bedrooms average $1400/month before utilities around these parts, with nothing to write home about garden style apartment complexes in south Tempe closer to 1k/month before utilities (market rate for one bedrooms metro wide).

Old 02-25-2020, 05:41 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,463,135 times
Personally I would look into renting a room from someone right there in Scottsdale.

Old 02-25-2020, 07:28 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,492,772 times
Yeah, look into renting a room in someone's home to be able to stay within that price range. Or split a cheap apartment with a roommate.

Old 02-26-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
I was just in Tempe today to check it out and it does look pretty great!

Since I don't have a car yet, I liked that there was a bus #72 that shoots straight up to Old Town. Commute time is maybe ~30 minutes. I'll start looking here. Thanks for suggesting!

Old 02-26-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
If you are looking in this area where I currently live you are better off with a house that’s not under rentmeasu (that landlord is known to sue and evict a lot of tenants). I pay $630 with two roommates for a house, before utilities. The apartments cost quite a bit more than my historic house, especially the closer you are to Mill Ave and just west of Mill (in Maple-Ash).

I live east of ASU by about a mile and it’s still fairly expensive but a lot less so. DT Tempe next to ASU and Old Town are the two most expensive neighborhoods, with DT Phoenix probably tied, so you’ll never be able to afford your own place in these areas. 1 bedrooms average $1400/month before utilities around these parts, with nothing to write home about garden style apartment complexes in south Tempe closer to 1k/month before utilities (market rate for one bedrooms metro wide).
Thanks for your thoughts. 630 would be out of my budget range sadly. I'm wondering if maybe I can hit my target if I split a 3 or 4 bedroom place there?

Old 02-26-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
Personally I would look into renting a room from someone right there in Scottsdale.
The first group of people I asked were my co-workers, only 1 of whom lives in Scottsdale and she's a bartender making enough money to afford it.

The rest actually commute in from kinda far away because they live at home with parents. At 24, I'm actually on the older side lol. Most of these girls are 20, 21. They do have cars though, which is nice.

Old 02-26-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
[mod cut - deleted post]
()
I've been working and paying my own way forward pretty much since I was 16 due to having unstable parents and home life. I don't want anything more to do with them or the abusive strings they attach to their promises of financial help.

I honestly wish people could work a job like waitressing/bartending/something where you are on your feet all day before blurting out the whole "well just work a second job" platitude

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 02-27-2020 at 11:33 AM..

Old 02-26-2020, 01:17 PM

113 posts, read 105,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGirl_24 View Post
I've been working and paying my own way forward pretty much since I was 16 due to having unstable parents and home life. I don't want anything more to do with them or the abusive strings they attach to their promises of financial help.

I honestly wish people could work a job like waitressing/bartending/something where you are on your feet all day before blurting out the whole "well just work a second job" platitude
I agree with you, some of these people think it's so easy to just get another job. I work in produce at a grocery store and people think it is so easy, well it's not. And I'm already killing myself at this job, I don't need another. Because no job, no bill or anything else is worth it when it comes to your health overall.

I've been reading along with the posts, I wish you could find something for $500. When I first moved here in 2014, you could have found a studio for that but now you really can't. I wish you luck! And I'm sorry about how your parents are, that's not how they are supposed to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area