Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 07:42 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Exactly, I love driving my Camaro SS, I don't want that taken away from me to be shuttled in some electric self driving Prius or whatever
Taking off for a weekend fun drive is one thing. Wasting my time sitting at the wheel fighting traffic to get to somewhere I need to be is another. I'd love to be able to summon a car, tell it where to take me, and then sit back and read, work, watch TV, sleep, drink, whatever until it gets me there. If it breaks, I summon another. If it needs maintenance, let someone else worry about it. If it gets a ticket, oh well!

It'll be a while before there is enough self-driving cars that there'd be limitations on human-driven cars creating problems. Not sure how that'd be addressed. Even though I believe self-driving cars are a certainty and will be here much sooner than many believe, I don't expect to have to worry about this during my lifetime.

Fact is, more and more and more people is a problem. And that problem will be addressed, and probably badly, by governments. No getting away from that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 08:55 AM

13,689 posts, read 7,976,787 times
The light rail runs alongside street traffic so depending on where you get on it can take a long time to to reach downtown Phx.

Traffic is on going to get worse in the coming years but I'm not sure what can be done... outside of expending freeways.

The only other option I see is to spend an endless amount of money and create (over the next 15-20) years a train system which runs on its own track away from city traffic.

But this would never be approved by votes. So, you will need a car if you're gong to live in the Phx. metro.

And it better be in good running condition.

Old 03-05-2020, 09:40 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,268,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Taking off for a weekend fun drive is one thing. Wasting my time sitting at the wheel fighting traffic to get to somewhere I need to be is another. I'd love to be able to summon a car, tell it where to take me, and then sit back and read, work, watch TV, sleep, drink, whatever until it gets me there. If it breaks, I summon another. If it needs maintenance, let someone else worry about it. If it gets a ticket, oh well!

It'll be a while before there is enough self-driving cars that there'd be limitations on human-driven cars creating problems. Not sure how that'd be addressed. Even though I believe self-driving cars are a certainty and will be here much sooner than many believe, I don't expect to have to worry about this during my lifetime.

Fact is, more and more and more people is a problem. And that problem will be addressed, and probably badly, by governments. No getting away from that.
Yeah, as a die-hard automotive enthusiast, I'm going to agree with you on this one. Driving is fun and I love it. But driving here during rush hour is a miserable time. And I drive a stick shift, so it's about 10x worse.

Old 03-05-2020, 11:33 AM

1,607 posts, read 2,013,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Yeah, as a die-hard automotive enthusiast, I'm going to agree with you on this one. Driving is fun and I love it. But driving here during rush hour is a miserable time. And I drive a stick shift, so it's about 10x worse.
I drive a manual here also. Rush hour traffic is getting worse, but for NOW at least it's MOVING albeit slowly. So I can keep it in first gear pretty much without doing too much shifting.

Old 03-05-2020, 12:18 PM

872 posts, read 999,037 times
I just love, "I come from place X and Phoenix should do what X does becuase it's better" threads

Old 03-05-2020, 02:43 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,340,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
I just love, "I come from place X and Phoenix should do what X does becuase it's better" threads
While I get your point - there should not be a reason that we are not open to better ideas that have been testing and learned from elsewhere.

Not to do it just for the sake of - but be open to it.

Old 03-05-2020, 04:14 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
I drive a stick shift (both in my car, and my semi-tractor at work) and I don't complain

Old 03-05-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
While I get your point - there should not be a reason that we are not open to better ideas that have been testing and learned from elsewhere.

Not to do it just for the sake of - but be open to it.
I think Phoenix has grown to be a much better place in the 19 years I've lived here. When I first moved here, the good weather was one of the only positives. A lot of amenities were lacking. That has filled in with time and growth though

Old 03-06-2020, 07:27 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,268,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I drive a stick shift (both in my car, and my semi-tractor at work) and I don't complain
I'm not complaining. I won't drive anything but a stick (which is why I bought one). Saying something is not very enjoyable is not the same as complaining. So, no, it's not very enjoyable to drive a stick stopping and going at 5 mph. But I still would not do it any other way.

Old 03-06-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I'm not complaining. I won't drive anything but a stick (which is why I bought one). Saying something is not very enjoyable is not the same as complaining. So, no, it's not very enjoyable to drive a stick stopping and going at 5 mph. But I still would not do it any other way.
It's actually easier driving my semi in stop and go traffic than my car. The semi has so much torque (almost 1,900 ftlbs!) that I only have to leave the transmission in 1st gear (or Low gear if facing uphill) and just let out the clutch (no throttle pedal needed)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area