Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 12:33 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times

Advertisements

From what I've seen the big seller is Martinelli's which I've had many times and is excellent. They make a line of several such products with my fave being the cran-apple, followed by the apple-grape.

I drank a ton of Welch's Grape Juice as a kid, loved it.

As Wit-Nit said, shelf space is a constant hot issue in supermarket management. Slow sellers are replaced in favor of what sells better; IIRC they have many metrics on $ of revenue per sq ft of floor space or shelf space. Supermarkets are a low-margin business, often netting just 1% per year on sales and with such razor thin margins you can be sure that every inch of shelf space is considered a dear asset. Producers of food often give discounts (or outright kickbacks) to get their products on the shelf, with the ideal location being face-high to get the most eyeballs on the product and into your cart.

I see this as a continuing trend where the Amazon model could be a solution. Their huge warehouses could stock a lot more products than a local supermarket and as the years go by this is where I think we may find our special items. I already have to order on-line via Wal-Mart for Aunt Jemima Whole Wheat Blend pancake mix and I often have to visit 3-4 stores to find certain items the others don't stock. When it gets bad enough I may start ordering whole lists of items from Amazon, depending on what they offer.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-07-2020 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 01:59 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,344,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
From what I've seen the big seller is Martinelli's which I've had many times and is excellent. They make a line of several such products with my fave being the cran-apple, followed by the apple-grape.

I drank a ton of Welch's Grape Juice as a kid, loved it.

As Wit-Nit said, shelf space is a constant hot issue in supermarket management. Slow sellers are replaced in favor of what sells better; IIRC they have many metrics on $ of revenue per sq ft of floor space or shelf space. Supermarkets are a low-margin business, often netting just 1% per year on sales and with such razor thin margins you can be sure that every inch of shelf space is considered a dear asset. Producers of food often give discounts (or outright kickbacks) to get their products on the shelf, with the ideal location being face-high to get the most eyeballs on the product and into your cart.

I see this as a continuing trend where the Amazon model could be a solution. Their huge warehouses could stock a lot more products than a local supermarket and as the years go by this is where I think we may find our special items. I already have to order on-line via Wal-Mart for Aunt Jemima Whole Wheat Blend pancake mix and I often have to visit 3-4 stores to find certain items the others don't stock. When it gets bad enough I may start ordering whole lists of items from Amazon, depending on what they offer.
Unfortunately, I live in QC and Amazon doesn't offer grocery delivery where I live and I am not sure if they ever will. We are lucky enough to at least get Same-Day Prime delivery by Amazon, but the next ZIP code over to the south in STV does not. Not sure will ever get grocery delivery (and I don't mean just Whole Foods).

Old 03-07-2020, 02:17 PM

45,422 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Is it me, or are fewer and fewer supermarket chains now carrying the Welch's Sparkling grape juices? It seems the only three that now carry it are Fry's, Walmart, and Target. Albertsons/Safeway and Bashas' no longer seem to carry it. I wonder, is their competitor Martinelli's paying incentives to these supermarket chains to carry their product exclusively at the expense of Welch's? I much prefer Welch's, especially the Sparkling Rosé grape juice.

Has anyone else noticed a similar trend?
Are you sure they're not selling it and instead you can't get it just because people are panic buying because of the corona virus?

Old 03-07-2020, 03:34 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
Quote:
I have some doubt this is the reason, because during the holiday season Walmart and Target had loads of the Welch's sparkling grape juice, and last spring/summer Target was heavily promoting the Rosé. I find it more likely that Martinelli's might be paying some incentive to Albertsons/Safeway and Bashas' to only stock their product. Remember how the supermarket business works - it operates on a "pay to stay" model.
In the end, it doesn't really matter why. Some of the stores that still carry it have a lot more space, though. You have a few choices. See if Albertson's will order it for you, they used to do special orders,
maybe they still do. From Amazon's website, it does not look like this item is considered "grocery." Many edible items on Amazon are not "grocery". If for some reason it is grocery, have it shipped to a friend or relative who lives in a grocery delivery area; if not, ship it to yourself and enjoy.

Old 03-07-2020, 04:54 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,649,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Are you sure they're not selling it and instead you can't get it just because people are panic buying because of the corona virus?
Since it’s common for paranoid people to stock up on sparkling rosé grape juice during a pandemic? Vodka, perhaps.

Old 03-07-2020, 05:06 PM

45,422 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Since it’s common for paranoid people to stock up on sparkling rosé grape juice during a pandemic? Vodka, perhaps.
There's no accounting for taste.

Old 03-07-2020, 09:43 PM

640 posts, read 958,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I picked up a couple extra bottles of Tito’s last week. Can’t be too careful!

Old 03-08-2020, 08:24 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,167,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
I picked up a couple extra bottles of Tito’s last week. Can’t be too careful!
Before you buy any more, do some blind vodka taste tests. While I can taste a massive difference in the blind between tequila brews, Vodka is much more subtle. We did some blind taste tests in MN, and a lot of Tito fans either didn't care or picked another brand. Surprisingly, Phillips Vodka won over a lot of taste buds?! I now buy Costco's cheap 1.5L 5x filtered. It was way too close to worry about.

Old 03-08-2020, 01:41 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,990,673 times
Quote:
I have some doubt this is the reason, because during the holiday season Walmart and Target had loads of the Welch's sparkling grape juice, and last spring/summer Target was heavily promoting the Rosé. I find it more likely that Martinelli's might be paying some incentive to Albertsons/Safeway and Bashas' to only stock their product. Remember how the supermarket business works - it operates on a "pay to stay" model.
Because that's when it sells. I had Welch's Sparkling juices twice a year growing up: Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Target at Christown stocks them as of 10 AM today.

Old 03-08-2020, 01:50 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,899,609 times
It might be a regional thing.

Martinelli's is based in California and Welch's is headquartered in Massachusetts with the main production facility located just east of Erie, PA.

I've never seen Martinelli's in a grocery store here outside of places like Whole Foods but Welch's is everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area