Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 07:00 AM

9,823 posts, read 11,216,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Some people pick fights over things that are beyond their control. What the woman should have argued about was how Fry's limits their checkout aisles, and even shuts down rows of SELF checkouts to where customers stand in long lines. If the experts are correct about "keeping a distance", then Fry's and other supermarkets aren't doing their part when they don't have their self checkouts open like they should.

I have an elderly parent who lives with me, and I was considering taking advantage of Bashas' senior only hours on Wednesdays. Seniors can be accompanied by a caregiver, and a valid photo ID must be presented. Every other time I go to any grocery store, it's the same story: aisles of paper products & cleaning supplies are out of stock. If we go at 5 AM on Wednesday and discover that the same aisles are bare, I'm going to be convinced that it may be more of a problem with distributing & restocking than the hoarding.
Washington State is a couple weeks ahead of us. Our daughter said it will slowly get back to normal. Still, TP and hand sanitizer can get hit and miss, but she does see it. HOPEFULLY we will follow. But things around us are changing by the week.

Re: stocking. The Store manager told me that their local distribution center is tapped/empty. So it's not as if the stockers cannot keep up. He said they have 2X more on order on various items but the supply has not been filled yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 01:46 AM

2,075 posts, read 1,651,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
I do know many people who get up at what I'd consier an ungodly hour, which I'm sure is a habit they've acquired due to our summer heat.

But now, with all the bare shelves in supermarkets due to hysterical people snapping up everything in sight due to the coronavirus fear-mongering, two markets have told me that people are lining up outside at 6:00am to rush in, and one market was opening at 5:30 to accommodate elderly shoppers. Presumably the shelves are bare again by maybe 8:00am.

This seems not only crazy, but is a terrible handicap for anyone leading a "normal" life. What about people who have to get to work? What about a single parent who can't leaving their sleeping children alone?

Why can't these markets put out half the product in the morning, and then the other half in the late afternoon?
You just have to ask around. There are deliveries that happen later in the day. I asked about the "paper supplies" (you know what I mean) that often get sold out. The clerk told me there was a delivery late that morning. So I came in a few hours later and got one of the last items on that shelf. Timing is key.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:42 AM

872 posts, read 1,002,154 times
Lots of memes and jokes about the hoarding of TP but if you see someone in real life doing that, you need to call them out and public shame them as well as report them. Not sure if rationing and making special hours helps that much since people still find way around it.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:05 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,738,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
Lots of memes and jokes about the hoarding of TP but if you see someone in real life doing that, you need to call them out and public shame them as well as report them. Not sure if rationing and making special hours helps that much since people still find way around it.

I don't think having people run around the store looking into each other's carts is a good idea.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:01 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,880,254 times
I assumed this was a heat related thread. I dont know about 5am but in the summer I definitely do all my errands before about 9:30am.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:17 AM

4,615 posts, read 6,402,081 times
"The early bird gets the eggs, fresh meat, TP, and isopropyl alcohol."....when I was living in Yuma, and particularly during the snowbird season, I'd be waiting for Smart & Final to open at 7am on Sunday morning, then I'd go to my other stops, and be home before the grayhelmets were up and around...nothing was more aggravating (to me) during shopping than to find two snowbirds clogging the aisle with their carts, getting reacquainted after the summer break.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 03-31-2020, 07:56 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,750,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
I assumed this was a heat related thread. I dont know about 5am but in the summer I definitely do all my errands before about 9:30am.

Opposite for me, in the summer months (June-Sept) I'm on the trails early in the morning hiking/biking and will usually hit a movie or something like that in the afternoon. The rest of the year I'll hit the trails in the afternoons to catch sunset hour, by far my favorite time of day to enjoy the outdoors.

I've found running errands around, like the grocery store, at 4-5pm or even a bit later on Sunday is a great time to go. The store is fairly quiet, re-stocking from the weekend rush has already started, and I'm indoors so I don't care much if it's hot outside. On my way to/from the store it's warm but I'm in my car and the sun angle is well pass the peak for the day at that point.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:20 AM

10 posts, read 5,972 times
i'm considered elderly but refuse to wake up early and stand like sardines with other seniors. i'll take my chances when the regular people shop.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:31 PM

966 posts, read 1,352,506 times
I get up at 350am, and I would normally go to Winco on the way to work on Monday to get my lunches for the week.

Old 04-02-2020, 05:50 AM

23,269 posts, read 29,122,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Many grocery stores are allowing "Seniors Only" at 6am to 7am that's probably why the long line up.

I was in Fry's the other evening at 8pm and they had just started stocking TP so I got my one allocation.
I'm a night owl, don't get up until noon, so last week I sent my roommate over there at opening, 50 people waiting to get in, and? No paper products at 7am!

I know a Wal-Mart stocker that goes to work at 4am and he even has difficulties getting toilet paper.

I wasn't planning on going to Wal-Mart at night, given my last visits at night with bare shelves, but tonite I accidentally stopped there around 7:30pm and surprise, surprise! Racks of chicken thighs (normally only chicken wings) and 2 packages of rice, comparing that to finding a hundred dollar bill on the sidewalk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area