Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 10:37 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times

Advertisements

For the past 50+ years living in the Phoenix area and the vehicles always being garaged I've gotten between 55,000 and 65,000 mile on tires with normal city driving. My tires are Michelin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 09:16 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
As a general rule . . .

Most "Tire and Safety Experts" recommend tires should be changed after six years regardless of the mileage or appearance for SAFETY. Read the Manufacture Date required on all tires.

Another one of those "NOT WORTH THE RISK" considering a new set of tires is chump change compared to the cost of even the most basic accident due to tire failure.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:48 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,910,231 times
Coming from the midwest it was and still is shocking to me how hard this climate is on not only tires, but just about all rubber and plastic in general. I build and drive hot rods and at the first sign of a miss or a rough idle the first thing I check are the vacuum lines as they generally only last a couple years in this climate. Back east this wasn't even a consideration. Same with tires, if they had tread you were good. He're I've learned to inspect the sidewalls for cracking as that is generally where they will fail. So yes, the climate is harder on tires, but as stated above, if your vehicle is garaged and you drive it often it will make a huge difference.

So my advice would be to go with a shorter mileage tire if you are not going to be driving much.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:57 AM

13,741 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
Coming from the midwest it was and still is shocking to me how hard this climate is on not only tires, but just about all rubber and plastic in general. I build and drive hot rods and at the first sign of a miss or a rough idle the first thing I check are the vacuum lines as they generally only last a couple years in this climate. Back east this wasn't even a consideration. Same with tires, if they had tread you were good. He're I've learned to inspect the sidewalls for cracking as that is generally where they will fail. So yes, the climate is harder on tires, but as stated above, if your vehicle is garaged and you drive it often it will make a huge difference.

So my advice would be to go with a shorter mileage tire if you are not going to be driving much.

That's good to know.

Thanks

Old 04-14-2020, 04:58 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,148 times
I always go for the mileage warranties on tires and car batteries, those warranties are not adjusted for Arizona

My 65k tires went about 45k, I got a $50 credit per tire when buying new tires.

If you buy a car battery with at least a 3 year or better warranty, your next battery is free, guaranteed

Old 04-14-2020, 09:38 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Another one of those "NOT WORTH THE RISK" considering a new set of tires is chump change compared to the cost of even the most basic accident due to tire failure.
Absolutely, Bummer. I can't begin to count the number of times I've had to steer clear of what could have been accidents because of shredded tire remains on the streets or freeways. Hit one of those, and it can knock the remains into another lane & cause some significant damage to other vehicles. Even just running over it can wreck havoc with the alignment on an average car. In most cases, simple maintenance could have prevented these tires from falling apart.

Old 04-14-2020, 10:41 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,178,395 times
Good thing you guys reminded me to buy new tires for our car. Thanks for this thread, appointment made!

Old 04-15-2020, 12:00 AM

10,560 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
As a general rule . . .

Most "Tire and Safety Experts" recommend tires should be changed after six years regardless of the mileage or appearance for SAFETY. Read the Manufacture Date required on all tires.

Yeah, good idea.

I bought some used tires for $100 8 years ago for a 4Runner in Hawaii that lives in a carport and sees little action, no doubt less than 10K miles over those 8 years. The tires have shown very little to no dry rot. However, I finally got around to reading their date of manufacture this past fall and they were 28 years old!
So, they were 20 years old when I bought them, no wonder the good price. I decided to get new tires, just for the heck of it.

I don't subscribe to the six years and change regardless, though maybe it's advisable in Phoenix.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:54 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post

Are vacuum lines unique to hot rods or are they on all cars? My car is about 15 years old now, all here in PHX, and I never recall changing this.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:05 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Absolutely, Bummer. I can't begin to count the number of times I've had to steer clear of what could have been accidents because of shredded tire remains on the streets or freeways. Hit one of those, and it can knock the remains into another lane & cause some significant damage to other vehicles. Even just running over it can wreck havoc with the alignment on an average car. In most cases, simple maintenance could have prevented these tires from falling apart.

I've heard these referred to as gators before because of the way they pop up when you hit them on the road. They can do immense damage to your car, I hit one about 3 hours outside of Reno in the middle of the night. A trucker heading in the opposite direction flashed his lights at me a few seconds before but I had no idea what he meant but it at least caused me to slowdown. I still hit the tire treads which ripped the entire front bumper off the car we were driving, luckily the damage was cosmetic and we were able to keep driving but it was thousands in repairs to the vehicle.

I've never hit one around Phoenix but I do see them all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area