Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 09:44 AM

2,807 posts, read 3,189,757 times

Advertisements

Overall, our rubber car parts hold up better than I thought. Things like tires and engine mounts break faster, but everything else seems to hold up really well. The one thing I would do (not that that's a problem for most people anyways) make sure that at least once a month you drive your car at highway speed for 30 minutes, with AC on. A lot of rubber parts get lubed by engine oil or transmission fluid etc. and if the car just sits they may dry out. We have a minivan that I have to move around some months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 10:03 AM

13,947 posts, read 8,127,167 times
Three times a week my wife takes the 60 west towards Phx. maybe a twenty minute commute during rush hour. Almost daily she can see a car parked on the side of the freeway because of a problem. The last thing I want is for my car to break down on a freeway esp. during the summer months.

My car and the AC in the house... I make sure I check and maintain both.

My wife and I enjoy living in he Phx metro but the sun can be deadly.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:26 AM

2,807 posts, read 3,189,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Three times a week my wife takes the 60 west towards Phx. maybe a twenty minute commute during rush hour. Almost daily she can see a car parked on the side of the freeway because of a problem. The last thing I want is for my car to break down on a freeway esp. during the summer months.

My car and the AC in the house... I make sure I check and maintain both.

My wife and I enjoy living in he Phx metro but the sun can be deadly.
I'm the same way, but even more for my wife and kids. I can deal better with this crap, but my wife would completely freak out if she was stranded or hot in the house. Every winter I do preventative maintenance on cars and AC and I have all kinds of spare parts on hand in case of a break-down. I even installed an additional mini-split AC so we can cool one room when the central AC goes. OK that was probably too much.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:20 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,600,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
I'm the same way, but even more for my wife and kids. I can deal better with this crap, but my wife would completely freak out if she was stranded or hot in the house. Every winter I do preventative maintenance on cars and AC and I have all kinds of spare parts on hand in case of a break-down. I even installed an additional mini-split AC so we can cool one room when the central AC goes. OK that was probably too much.
That was actually a great idea. One day it will happen. It's inevitable and during the peak months, you likely won't be able to get an AC guy out right away.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:52 PM

2,774 posts, read 906,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
I always go for the mileage warranties on tires and car batteries, those warranties are not adjusted for Arizona

My 65k tires went about 45k, I got a $50 credit per tire when buying new tires.

If you buy a car battery with at least a 3 year or better warranty, your next battery is free, guaranteed
I second the advice on batteries. I'm not certain but I sometimes think the cheapest and most expensive battery of the same brand (i.e. Duralast) are the same batteries with different labels. The last two I purchased for our two Hondas that take the same battery, I got their top of the line. They didn't last any longer than the cheap ones, but I've replaced both of the "premium" batteries at no cost.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:45 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,305,059 times
I have a two year old car which recently had its regular 5,000 mile oil change & inspection at the dealer. Everything checked out in the green, except the tires. It's not an urgent matter to have them replaced at this time, but it was a cautionary advisory that the tread is starting to wear, and replacements could be needed on a future visit.

This is what I mean about having regular maintenance. I'm sure the service department desiring some extra bucks could be a factor, but I'd rather pay for new tires than be driving around on worn tires & take a chance on them failing ... especially with summer approaching!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area