Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2020, 10:49 AM

66 posts, read 57,747 times

Advertisements

We have been apartment living in Phoenix near 101 and Cave Creek for 3 months now and have made frequent efforts (particularly pre-virus) to get out, drive/hike around, and check things out. We are not in a hurry to buy a house, but we have engaged a buyer's agent and have pre-qualified in the case we see a house we like.

There is a house we might like almost right in the middle of 85032, a few blocks south of Greenway & 51. The crime maps looked fairly clean. We have empty-nested, so school systems are valued by us to only a general level of consideration. Like the area we live in now, there is a mixture of upgraded houses and downgraded houses. With that knowledge already baked in, would there be anything more subtle that would be worth knowing about that area - such as: plans to widen 51 could definitely be impactful - I see no nearby lakes that would house an unusual amount of mosquitoes (I hate mosquitoes) and assume the builds are old enough that scorpion swarms are long gone - I have no ideas about water quality history, past toxic waste sites, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 11:14 AM

915 posts, read 1,190,178 times
I live in 85032. I'm unaware of any of the issues you listed. Generally speaking the neighborhoods get nicer as you move east towards 85254 (Tatum is the boundary between the zip codes).

I've heard there are long term plans to turn PV Mall into an outdoor shopping center similar to Desert Ridge. It's been in decline for years and this covid situation might be the final nail in the coffin for the anchor stores.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...ll-rumors.html

I would expect a development like this to be good for property values in the area.

Old 04-21-2020, 12:13 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
There is an area known as the Square that has issues..I believe it is that zip. My three homes were in North Central, and I never had much reason to become familiar with that area, but there is definitely a fairly crappy area of Paradise Valley that is not as nice as 35th Ave and Cactus, or area around Bellhaven golf course..west hell road..give us your budget and location needs and you will at least get some comparable suggestions.

Old 04-22-2020, 12:17 PM

Hello, Hal Roach. I have definitely been scanning areas within my projected commute distances (I work at various places) for many months and don't want to load you all down with searches, but I will also respect your offer and give some details below.

I will go today for a walk-thru. I went yesterday for a walk through the neighborhood. There is definitely some road noise around the area, so I'll take some SPL readings while I am there. The house looks pretty great, surrounding houses hit or miss, and then the noise factor - could be a toss up.

We are 2 people, empty-nesters. For my own desire to place a limit on the expense/investment/etc, I have a cap around 320K, but generally would not expect to find something below 260 that would be a fit. Less than 1750 sf and ideally around 1350 sf and down to maybe 900 sf in the ideal floorplan would help keep expenses and upkeep/cleaning efforts in check. Can't be a fixer-upper. Should look reasonably pleasant to to be in/around (mind-reading may be required here). Most likely work locations could include near 101&17 and near 101&Bell, with a possibility, maybe, you never know of some in Chandler. A few more details in addition to these are embedded in my MLS search tool.

Old 04-25-2020, 08:48 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEngineer View Post
Hello, Hal Roach. I have definitely been scanning areas within my projected commute distances (I work at various places) for many months and don't want to load you all down with searches, but I will also respect your offer and give some details below.

I will go today for a walk-thru. I went yesterday for a walk through the neighborhood. There is definitely some road noise around the area, so I'll take some SPL readings while I am there. The house looks pretty great, surrounding houses hit or miss, and then the noise factor - could be a toss up.

We are 2 people, empty-nesters. For my own desire to place a limit on the expense/investment/etc, I have a cap around 320K, but generally would not expect to find something below 260 that would be a fit. Less than 1750 sf and ideally around 1350 sf and down to maybe 900 sf in the ideal floorplan would help keep expenses and upkeep/cleaning efforts in check. Can't be a fixer-upper. Should look reasonably pleasant to to be in/around (mind-reading may be required here). Most likely work locations could include near 101&17 and near 101&Bell, with a possibility, maybe, you never know of some in Chandler. A few more details in addition to these are embedded in my MLS search tool.
Are you familiar with the Royal Palm neighborhood? Could likely get a smaller house there under 320k.

Old 04-25-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Are you familiar with the Royal Palm neighborhood? Could likely get a smaller house there under 320k.
I am not familiar - is that Royal Palm Vista, Royal Palm Estates, etc?

Thank you.

Old 04-26-2020, 04:38 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,256,544 times
85032 isn't exactly a "central" area. As far as the quality of houses, it's very mixed as far as what you'll find. Neighborhoods full of older John F. Long Homes from the 1960s & 1970s are in close proximity to better quality neighborhoods ... and then there's Greenway Square (as another poster mentioned), which is a lower income section. For better neighborhoods overall, try looking into nearby 85028. It tends to be an older area, but generally better quality as far as the homes are concerned.

Old 04-29-2020, 06:55 PM

125 posts, read 105,884 times
We lived in 85032. I'd agree with Valley Native's assessment above. Our street was fine, but there were problems blocks away, which was unnerving. 85028 is a bit better, especially east of 40th street. If you do choose 85032, steer clear of the square, as well as Cave Creek Rd.

Old 05-02-2020, 03:22 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,740,560 times
We lived in 85032 for 23 years. Between 44th St. and Tatum it's indistinguishable from 85254 without the premium for the zipcode. In our subdivision the zoning was R1-14 which is roughly two homes per acre. As you get west of 44th St. it starts to deteriorate.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:46 PM

102 posts, read 111,239 times
Default 85032

85032 is a great area. It definitely has its variety. I have not heard of water issues. But each subdivision and area could be different
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area