Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 06:49 PM

8 posts, read 23,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hark View Post
Peoria all the way. My wife and I are both teachers and that would be where we would want to teach if we weren't already in Deer Valley.
Since you and your wife are teachers- would you have any input for a mom of a soon-to-be 8th grader? We are moving out to Phoenix for hubby to go to MMI and hope to make it permanent (providing job outlook is good after graduation). I was VERY active in the PTO all through elementary school and have found our middle school is frustrating. How is parental involvement/inclusion??

I have specifically looked into both Peoria and Deer Valley as our target school zones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 08:55 AM

13 posts, read 35,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkatskid View Post
Since you and your wife are teachers- would you have any input for a mom of a soon-to-be 8th grader? We are moving out to Phoenix for hubby to go to MMI and hope to make it permanent (providing job outlook is good after graduation). I was VERY active in the PTO all through elementary school and have found our middle school is frustrating. How is parental involvement/inclusion??

I have specifically looked into both Peoria and Deer Valley as our target school zones.
You can't go wrong with either of those districts. However, the A+ school awards just came out and a Deer Valley middle school just won it. It's like being honored as one of the few top schools in the state. That same school also has earned Excelling from the state every year since the labels started.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:13 PM

4 posts, read 11,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyk View Post
dysart is a good district but my cousin went to school in the district and they make the kids were uniforms
The Dysart district no longer requires uniforms. That ended the beginning of the 2007/2008 school year. We live a bit to the west of Valley Vista high school out in Surprise Farms. I love our community and we've been very happy with the school too. The lower housing prices are a plus too though then your husbands commute would be longer.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:35 PM

92 posts, read 311,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkatskid View Post
I was VERY active in the PTO all through elementary school and have found our middle school is frustrating. How is parental involvement/inclusion??
Hello koolkatskid -- I'm a high school teacher and, sadly, I have to tell you that school encouragement for parents getting involved is frowned upon at a lot of secondary schools, especially high schools. My friends who teach elementary school have parent volunteers, parent readers, parent classroom celebration planners, etc. At the high school level, none of that exists on a day-to-day basis (maybe band boosters, football boosters). There's no real place for parents to get involved at the HS level

Old 04-28-2008, 10:06 AM

611 posts, read 2,309,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmsie View Post
I am finishing my student teaching at a local high school this semester and have been interviewing over the past few weeks. The good news is that I now have three job offers! The bad news is that I do not know which one to take. I have only been in Arizona for 4 months, so I am still learning about the area. I am married with a pre-school child, so community and elementary schools are important. Hubby works at Loop 101 and Glendale.

I have been reading the posts and while there is some good information, I would like to know how you think the following three schools compare:

Valley Vista HS, Dysart District
Estrella Foothills HS, Buckeye District
Raymond S. Kellis HS, Peoria District

I would appreciate any advice you can provide about the districts, communities, etc. We are looking for a place to settle down, but I have to make a decision by Wednesday! Please help!
I don't know about the specific schools you are asking about; however, I can share that we chose to buy a home in Peoria because of the great school district. Our schools are Vistancia Elementary, Liberty, and Sunrise Mountain High School. All are "excelling" schools. We are very pleased with the teachers, programs, and parent involvement. Best wishes in your decision.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:05 PM

71 posts, read 211,141 times
Congratulations on the offers. I would be happy with just one.
I'm trying to get into the Peoria District in the elementary schools. I have an open invitation to visit Buckeye schools just waiting to here from at least one more district before I come out there.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:02 PM

3 posts, read 10,188 times
Thank you to everyone who offered their opinions and advice. I made the decision last week and decided to go with Estrella Foothills. I am thrilled about the decision and am excited to get started down there. The final factors were: 1)high level of support and enthusiasm from the principal/district for my content area and 2) great community to raise our daughter.

Best of luck to all of you other teachers!

Old 05-06-2008, 09:40 AM

39,100 posts, read 51,306,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmsie View Post
Thank you to everyone who offered their opinions and advice. I made the decision last week and decided to go with Estrella Foothills. I am thrilled about the decision and am excited to get started down there. The final factors were: 1)high level of support and enthusiasm from the principal/district for my content area and 2) great community to raise our daughter.

Best of luck to all of you other teachers!
Good decision. Welcome to the neighborhood. Make sure you get involved in community goings on at the parks and residents center. It the best way to get to know people and make your life enjoyable.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,820 times
I have taught in Deer Valley and Peoria districts. Both are good. Deer Valley has an almost full inclusion policy for students with special needs. That is good for most students with special needs but I felt other choices were needed for students with severe intellectual disabilities. I wondered why there were no classes specifically for these students who desperately needed life skills.
I am all for inclusion, if it is looked at on an individual basis.
If your child has any type of severe cognitive disability, Peoria offers more choices on the continuum of services required by IDEA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area