Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2020, 01:13 PM

2 posts, read 624 times

Advertisements

ON A FIXED INCOME NEED HELP AFFORDING TO FIX CATS I TOOK IN

Hello all,

I am a retired senior that took in a pair of feral cats that turned out to be both pregnant! They each had three kittens so all of a sudden I found myself with eight cats! My wife and I don't mind them as we love animals. The feral moms have become pretty domesticated over time and one now seeks us out to jump on our laps to be petted and spoiled. The other mom won't allow us to handle her but still comes to us to get treats and scraps. The kittens are all used to being handled and petted.

THE PROBLEM:

We want to get them all fixed but found out that the price makes it impossible for us to afford. I am on a fixed income and my wife is not able to work. So far we just got a quote from the humane society that comes to over $400 for three cats including the e-collars plus more if we have them vaccinated.

Are there any programs to help with the cost of doing this? Otherwise we will not be able to afford it and my fear is that they will start inter breeding and before you know it we will have a house full of cats.

I called a number the humane society gave us but they have not called back after several messages.

Anyone know of a solution to this dilemma? All help, suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 01:40 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,197,898 times
Hi Therrera --

Some of this information is from 2019, and things may likely be quite different this year, but there is enough here to get you started. I hope you can find a place to help the cats.

-- Hollyhock

https://azpetproject.org/services/spay-neuter/

Old 07-21-2020, 01:58 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,120,998 times
If they are outdoor/feral cats and not domesticated pets, you can get them fixed for $25 each via the Trap-Neuter-Return ("TNR") program. https://adlaz.org/spay-neuter-hotline/outdoor-cats/

The only catch is that you have to trap them in one of their approved traps (which can be borrowed for free), you can't just pick up the cat and put it in a little carrier of your own to bring in.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 624 times
thanks for the suggestions. I left message with the Trap Neuter Return number and sent an email. The humane society said they have a program that does the neutering for $25 so we made appointments for three of our cats. Then the rest will follow.

Thanks for the help,

Old 07-21-2020, 08:50 PM

525 posts, read 541,902 times
You can also try Kitt's Kitten Rescue. Home

Old 07-22-2020, 07:09 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,292,524 times
Or people can stop feeding/caring for/taking in feral cats. All they do is breed. They are pests. Would you take in a raccoon too?

Old 07-22-2020, 11:56 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,120,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Or people can stop feeding/caring for/taking in feral cats. All they do is breed. They are pests. Would you take in a raccoon too?
I get them fixed, it is more responsible than just ignoring them.

Old 07-22-2020, 11:59 AM

130,951 posts, read 12,226,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
I get them fixed, it is more responsible than just ignoring them.

Thank you. ITA.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:34 PM

416 posts, read 540,735 times
There used to be a Spay-Neuter Clinic at 16th st and Bell. Sounds like you have the problem solved. Racoons make the best pets. Had one for a long time. Watched TV. Loved to ride in the car. Very smart. Misunderstood animals. Used to sit outside by the front door. No one every tried to get close to the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area