Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2020, 12:10 PM

22 posts, read 22,755 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I've browsed around to get an idea of where I should be looking in regards to a home search, but I'm going to create my own thread since I'm apparently not falling into any popular category...

Originally from Iowa, but lived in Chicago (the city) for 8 years. I moved to Tampa, FL last year, but it's just crazy hot, lots of rain, and I can't bring myself to buy a place that might be threatened by hurricanes. Phoenix seems to have better weather with lower humidity, although nearing the temperature of the sun lately...it still seems nice overall, year-round. And, my sister lives there.

I'm 44, female, no kids, never married, and like to do stuff... non-chain restaurants, bars (where one can talk w/o yellling), gyms!!, bike/running trails, cultural stuff, etc. I want to live in a place w/like minded people....those open to meeting new friends, dating, etc. Basically I want a warmer Chicago without the crazy taxes, ha! (I know Phoenix is not Chicago.) I don't want to be out in BFE surrounded by pastures and/or families with "kiddos" where I'll be bored to death. I also don't want to be surrounded by college kids.

I know, that's a lot. Be glad you're not me. I'm thinking of the Scottsdale area based on all of my research, specially South Scottsdale, even more specifically Summerfield, since I've found a townhouse there which looks great, and under $250k.

Am I on the right track? Are there other places I should be open to?

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by tasnell76; 09-11-2020 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 04:19 PM

2,785 posts, read 7,446,240 times
I'd never heard of Summerfield until know, but I see it's located near the Indian Bend Wash, which is Scottsdale's longest trail for bicycling and running. Traveling one mile west on Roosevelt Street would connect you to the path at Vista del Camino Park. There are connections to similar paths in Tempe and Mesa to the south, so from a recreational point of view, it might be a good location. It's also situated fairly near Old Town Scottsdale, Tempe, and the Arcadia neighborhood of Phoenix, all of which have abundant non-chain restaurants.

Old 09-11-2020, 05:18 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,638,101 times
I think downtown/central Phoenix may be a better fit. More young professionals, less kids, more dining and socializing options.

Old 09-11-2020, 05:57 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times
I'll second DetroitN8V on the downtown Phoenix suggestion, I really love the area around Roosevelt myself but you should definitely come here first and rent for a while to see what you like.

Some will tell you that Tempe is too college focused but I disagree, I'm a bit younger then you but find it fits the bill really nice. I'd say check that out too, with the sheer number of companies in and around Mill Ave/Downtown Tempe area it's grown up quite nicely in my opinion and is one of the older, more mature parts of the metro. You've got trails all around Tempe Town Lake that connect east to Mesa, West to Phoenix and North to the Scottsdale Greenbelt, so tons of recreational opportunities. It's also one of the least car centric areas, you could live in one of the condos near Mill/University and walk to Whole Foods for groceries, movies at Harkins, tons of non-chain dining and lots of entertainment be it ASU sports or shows at Gammage.

Of course nothing is the same right now during COVID but you'll still get a general feel fore the area if visiting soon.

Old 09-12-2020, 03:18 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,641,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasnell76 View Post
Hi All,

I've browsed around to get an idea of where I should be looking in regards to a home search, but I'm going to create my own thread since I'm apparently not falling into any popular category...

Originally from Iowa, but lived in Chicago (the city) for 8 years. I moved to Tampa, FL last year, but it's just crazy hot, lots of rain, and I can't bring myself to buy a place that might be threatened by hurricanes. Phoenix seems to have better weather with lower humidity, although nearing the temperature of the sun lately...it still seems nice overall, year-round. And, my sister lives there.

I'm 44, female, no kids, never married, and like to do stuff... non-chain restaurants, bars (where one can talk w/o yellling), gyms!!, bike/running trails, cultural stuff, etc. I want to live in a place w/like minded people....those open to meeting new friends, dating, etc. Basically I want a warmer Chicago without the crazy taxes, ha! (I know Phoenix is not Chicago.) I don't want to be out in BFE surrounded by pastures and/or families with "kiddos" where I'll be bored to death. I also don't want to be surrounded by college kids.

I know, that's a lot. Be glad you're not me. I'm thinking of the Scottsdale area based on all of my research, specially South Scottsdale, even more specifically Summerfield, since I've found a townhouse there which looks great, and under $250k.

Thanks for any advice!
I am from AZ but lived in FL for over a decade. I also went to college in the midwest as an undergraduate (Bueller? - lol). The pragmatic choice is Scottsdale. Near the Fashion Park Mall there is a "town" type of setting. But you also mentioned running/biking. Scottsdale has many options for that. Fort McDowell Park is nearby, and there are many parks, trails, etc. for running or biking. The people who recommended downtown Phoenix are overlooking the biking/running aspect. Downtown Phoenix is not very ideal for that compared to Scottsdale. That price you mentioned for the townhouse is good considering the real estate prices shot up dramatically the past decade. When I moved to FL in 2002 the prices were probably less than half of what they are now in many parts of Metro Phoenix. That means the "option" you found may be gone soon due to demand. Better act fast if you really want it.

Old 09-12-2020, 11:27 AM

38 posts, read 27,225 times
I am also a single professional female in her mid-forties who moved here from the east coast 2 years ago. I live near the Acacadia area where there is no shortage of nice restaurants and things to do. When I first moved here I was pleasantly surprised to discover that there were plenty of singles around my age and that it was fairly easy to meet people. Obviously I haven't had much of a social life these past 6 months with COVID but I'm looking forward to heading out and exploring again especially now that the weather is starting to cool down.

Best of luck on your move! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions or want more info on the area.

Old 09-14-2020, 01:15 PM

53 posts, read 45,606 times
Scottsdale is more vibrant, cleaner, and more upscale than downtown Phoenix. Many of the people here have moved from the Midwest so you should have no problem meeting like-minded folks. There’s even several Chicago restaurants that have opened a branch here in Scottsdale because there are so many transplants in the area.

Old 09-14-2020, 04:41 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,638,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBPACKERS1200 View Post
Scottsdale is more vibrant, cleaner, and more upscale than downtown Phoenix. Many of the people here have moved from the Midwest so you should have no problem meeting like-minded folks. There’s even several Chicago restaurants that have opened a branch here in Scottsdale because there are so many transplants in the area.
Cleaner and more upscale, perhaps, but Old Town Scottsdale is certainly not more vibrant. Much of the area is lined with tired gift shops and galleries that are anything but vibrant. It’s more kitschy and touristy, but that also makes much of it quite dead during the off-season, where downtown Phoenix feels more like an actual city year round.

Old 09-14-2020, 09:15 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,258,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasnell76 View Post
Hi All,

Thanks for any advice!
South Scottsdale is something to keep in mind, but it's generally not as nice or attractive as the areas further north. With that said, it's close to Old Town, which is great for singles in your age range, being that it's ripe with bars, restaurants, and shopping. You might also look into the Kierland/Scottsdale Quarter area, which is further north and more expensive, but it has some of what you're looking for. If you want something more urban, definitely look into downtown Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area