Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 9,319 times

Advertisements

I am currenty living in Orange County, California and it is getting really expensive to live here. Gas is at $3.99 a gallon. The cost of housing is through the roof and I was thinking about moving to Gilbert, Arizona this summer. Can anyone give me any information on the Islands in Gilbert and how much it will cost to rent a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house there? By the way, How much is a gallon of gas going for in Gilbert and how hot does it get in the summer? How are the Middle and High Schools there. I have a child that is going into 8th grade. And what is the minimum wage in Arizona?

-Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 9,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattfromCalifornia View Post
I am currenty living in Orange County, California and it is getting really expensive to live here. Gas is at $3.99 a gallon. The cost of housing is through the roof and I was thinking about moving to Gilbert, Arizona this summer. Can anyone give me any information on the Islands in Gilbert and how much it will cost to rent a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house there? By the way, How much is a gallon of gas going for in Gilbert and how hot does it get in the summer? How are the Middle and High Schools there. I have a child that is going into 8th grade. And what is the minimum wage in Arizona?

-Thank You
where is my thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:18 PM

92 posts, read 349,723 times
I am currently living in the OC also and want to move to Arizona this summer, I hope you get some reply's so we can both find out together

Old 05-01-2008, 08:44 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,400,689 times
Gas isn't too much cheaper here. Gilbert is a quiet suburb, family town.

It is the opposite of OC. I would recommend listing what you hate about OC and what you love about it. Then asking, compared to your list, how Gilbert, AZ compares.

Home prices are falling here, but they are also falling in CA, no? The Inland Empire is experiencing huge price falls too. You can't find anything in CA in your price range?? Another county perhaps??

Minimum Wage in AZ is: $6.90

Last edited by Jaded; 05-01-2008 at 09:03 PM..

Old 05-01-2008, 09:00 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,171,289 times
Quote:
where is my thread
LOL. I moved it from AZ to Phoenix, so that's where you are.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:47 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,092,300 times
Didn't you hear?

Arizona is now closed to Californians.

Ya see, we carry guns here, don't surf, and lettuce wraps, fish tacos, and tofu are not in vogue here.

Geez, I can't even smoke a cigar on the restaurant patio closer than 30 feet...what else are y'all gonna do to us?

Besides, didn't you hear?

It hits 150 degrees here from February to November....ultra right wingers every where ya turn....you just wouldn't fit in.

All in jest, my friend. You'll dig it out here.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:01 AM

919 posts, read 3,396,740 times
Gas is $1.39

You can buy a house for what you pay to rent a 1 bedroom apartment in SoCal.

Nobody works for minimum wage unless you are 16 or illegal.

Phoenix is pretty much LA/OC, but inland. Same shops, malls, eateries.

The main differences being a much hotter summer and a longer trip to see the sea. But we're also well positioned to visit not just OC within a few hours, but NM, CO, Mexico, etc.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:47 AM

611 posts, read 2,308,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Didn't you hear?

Ya see, we carry guns here, don't surf, and lettuce wraps, fish tacos, and tofu are not in vogue here.

Geez, I can't even smoke a cigar on the restaurant patio closer than 30 feet...what else are y'all gonna do to us?

It hits 150 degrees here from February to November....ultra right wingers every where ya turn....you just wouldn't fit in.

Really? We've lived in quite a few different states, and this is the first state with most of the mex restaurants having fish tacos on their menus. We never heard of them before moving here. I now understand they must be a menu item from CA. I don't like them, but our daughter does.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:01 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,059,053 times
Quote:

-Thank You
Right now there are two, 3 bedroom, 2 bath rental homes in The Islands - $1200 - $1250 for 1,600 - 1,700 sq. ft.

You can check out schools at GreatSchools.net

Gilbert has a very low crime rate.

When I met my husband, he lived in Orange County. We had to decide if he would move to Gilbert, or if I would move to CA. It was a no brainer....he moved here! As far as the heat....the first summer he was here I had to keep telling him, "remember, it's a DRY heat!" The good thing is, we have several friends in OC, so we can visit and enjoy the benefits of So CA...without the expense of hotels.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:21 AM

943 posts, read 2,521,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Didn't you hear?

No fish tacos? Are you kidding? We just got a Rubios down the street (Goodyear) and can't stop eating the fish tacos. Why did you have to make me hungry?????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: