Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2020, 08:02 PM

2,394 posts, read 2,739,722 times

Advertisements

New Times lists some options for you.

The 12 Best Record Stores in Metro Phoenix

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/musi...ctors-11263390
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 05:50 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,392,897 times
Thanks, been meaning to hit a couple of those shops up.

One thing that sucks is the garbage quality of most new vinyl.

Old 10-29-2020, 12:37 PM

912 posts, read 1,737,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post

Really? I'm by no means an expert on vinyl, but I thought the 180g wax most new releases are pressed on is superior to the older 140-150g records of the past. Colored vinyl and especially picture discs are another story.

Is the mastering worse quality than in the past? I'd like to educate myself some more.

As for the article itself, I'm a huge fan of Zia and Stinkweeds. I need to explore these other shops.

Old 10-29-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:

I was amazed to hear that vinyl sales are up!

Old 10-29-2020, 07:27 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,613,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
I was amazed to hear that vinyl sales are up!
Thanks for posting this! I bought a record player last year and dug out my old vinyl. I'm inspired to buy more music and will have to check some of these places out.

Now if I could just find a nice cabinet to hold all of the albums instead of keeping them in moving boxes!

Old 11-02-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
Really? I'm by no means an expert on vinyl, but I thought the 180g wax most new releases are pressed on is superior to the older 140-150g records of the past. Colored vinyl and especially picture discs are another story.

Is the mastering worse quality than in the past? I'd like to educate myself some more.

As for the article itself, I'm a huge fan of Zia and Stinkweeds. I need to explore these other shops.
I'm no expert but here's what I'm pretty much finding in new purchases and what I read. Keep in mind some things probably aren't noticeable with low level equipment, depending how good the listener's ear is, etc. This applies to USA printed vinyl...

1. 180 gram is bs. Most of it's recycled not true virgin. 180 is thick and heavy and something to advertise vs a regular thinner record. They need to justify the ridiculous pricing.

2. All the knowledge left the vinyl industry in the 90's when vinyl died. Every press in the US is old and running 24/7. All the people who had deep knowledge of these things retired or died. No new presses will be imported into the US, it's not worth it.

3. Tons of new releases are digital masters, they put them on vinyl because people keep paying. Most new records were never even mastered for vinyl, including re-released of old stuff.

4. The quality of new records themselves is garbage. I don't think most of these kids are playing them or even opening them. I've bought maybe 20 new records in the last year or so. One had three center holes all in the wrong spot, several others I had to finish cutting out the hole itself, and severe warping but who knows where that happens.

I've had maybe 3 out of 20 that would compare to the quality of records back in the day. I'll keep buying because I'm a junkie but it really slowed my buying down. Always try to find an original version is my rule of thumb. Just my experience, take it with a grain of salt.

Old 11-02-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Thanks for posting this! I bought a record player last year and dug out my old vinyl. I'm inspired to buy more music and will have to check some of these places out.

Now if I could just find a nice cabinet to hold all of the albums instead of keeping them in moving boxes!
There are a million YouTube videos on making them. Or buy from Amazon.

Old 11-03-2020, 08:34 AM

5 posts, read 4,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
New Times lists some options for you.

The 12 Best Record Stores in Metro Phoenix

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/musi...ctors-11263390
thanks

Old 11-05-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I'm no expert but here's what I'm pretty much finding in new purchases and what I read. Keep in mind some things probably aren't noticeable with low level equipment, depending how good the listener's ear is, etc. This applies to USA printed vinyl...

1. 180 gram is bs. Most of it's recycled not true virgin. 180 is thick and heavy and something to advertise vs a regular thinner record. They need to justify the ridiculous pricing.

2. All the knowledge left the vinyl industry in the 90's when vinyl died. Every press in the US is old and running 24/7. All the people who had deep knowledge of these things retired or died. No new presses will be imported into the US, it's not worth it.

3. Tons of new releases are digital masters, they put them on vinyl because people keep paying. Most new records were never even mastered for vinyl, including re-released of old stuff.

4. The quality of new records themselves is garbage. I don' t think most of these kids are playing them or even opening them. I've bought maybe 20 new records in the last year or so. One had three center holes all in the wrong spot, several others I had to finish cutting out the hole itself, and severe warping but who knows where that happens.

I've had maybe 3 out of 20 that would compare to the quality of records back in the day. I'll keep buying because I'm a junkie but it really slowed my buying down. Always try to find an original version is my rule of thumb. Just my experience, take it with a grain of salt.

This is hugely interesting on a broader scale - that is, it seems like almost anything we buy nowadays is garbage. When I was having problems with my washing machine, the repairman advised me to hold onto it as long as I can since the newer ones (by which he meant the last 10-20 years) are garbage. I'm told the same about TVs. Same about radios. My plumber even said the same thing about pipes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: