Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 01:18 AM

267 posts, read 885,740 times

Advertisements

I camped near Roosevelt Lake a couple years ago in the middle of August.

It was hot, there were bugs, and we got caught in a monsoon but honestly....it was one of the most memorable camping trips I ever had! We woke up at about 6 am the morning after a monsoon and went fishing and that was one of the most beautiful mornings I have ever seen. Here is a picture of that amazing morning:

You can definitely camp here year around. If the heat bothers you then there are the higher elevations which are a bit cooler. As for the bugs, the didn't kill me so I'm sure you will be fine. Just brings lots of repellant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 08:11 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,757,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markas214 View Post
I plan on moving to the Phoenix area within a year. One thing I like to do is hike and camp. Obviously the summer would be too hot but when is a good time? Is it safe to drive into the desert with a 4x4 and put up a campsite with a tent, a fire and cook out in the open. I am concerned about wildlife and also the possibility of running into smugglers of drugs and people.

I am not a paranoid and realize people do camp in Arizona. I also am aware of the diverse landscape from desert to mountain. Where do people go? Do you carry firearms for safety? What about rattle snakes, mountain lions and coyotes? Anyone go hunting?

My thought is to drive a pickup in and possibly use a tent that you can place in the truck bed to be safe from snakes. Am I too worried?
I'll disagree with the posters below. If you like to hike and camp, in my opinion, Arizona is not the state to be. I'm originally from Montana and grew up hiking and camping. I moved to Arizona for three years, though it was awful, and since have moved to Seattle area.

Mogollon Rim is the exception. I liked that a lot - it's nice there.

But the rest of the state is awful for hiking and camping.

Just my opinion. DM me for more info.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:36 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,791,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
I bet AJ661 was talking about the Mogollon Rim...but, both are beautiful!
Absolutely. I should have been more specific but for as long as I can remember, everyone I know refers to the Mogollon Rim as simply "The Rim". I never hear 'Mogollon' except on TV (where it's often mispronounced)

Old 05-07-2008, 01:56 PM

180 posts, read 656,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markas214 View Post
I plan on moving to the Phoenix area within a year. One thing I like to do is hike and camp. Obviously the summer would be too hot but when is a good time? Is it safe to drive into the desert with a 4x4 and put up a campsite with a tent, a fire and cook out in the open. I am concerned about wildlife and also the possibility of running into smugglers of drugs and people.
You can easily camp year round here. Doing so just require that you learn what places have the best climate for what you want.

Desert in winter, mountains in summer and area in between in spring/fall. As for being safe I have never worred about my safety when camping. Fires can be a bigger concern as many times there are fire restrictions due to dryness. Arizona is rather arid even in the cooler climates and many times camp fires are not allowed as all too often careless camp fires lead to forrest fires when the are is so dry. Still learn to camp without a fire and you are ok.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:54 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,139,950 times
I have a camping rule:

Too hot? Go north or higher elevation.

Too cold? Go south or lower elevation.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:08 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,270,708 times
Forest Lakes is around 7500 feet, not 9000.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:40 PM

44 posts, read 165,105 times
We like to camp in the Woods Canyon between Heber & Payson & in the Alpine area. For a short trip we go across the 260 to Fool Hollow Lake.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:22 AM

339 posts, read 1,263,036 times
I just found this Re firearms:
  • No person shall carry a firearm "concealed on his person." This does not apply to a person in his dwelling, business premises or on real property owned or leased by that person. A handgun carried in a belt holster which is wholly or partially visible or carried in luggage is not considered carrying concealed.
  • It is unlawful to carry a firearm concealed within the immediate control of any person in or on a means of transportation. This does not apply to firearms carried in a case, holster or in a means of transportation or a storage compartment, trunk, pack, luggage, or glove compartment of a means of transportation.
  • No person shall, unless specifically authorized by law, enter a public establishment or attend a public event carrying a firearm after a reasonable request by the operator of the establishment or the sponsor of the event to remove his firearm and place it in the custody of the operator or sponsor. This does not apply to shooting ranges or shooting events, hunting areas or similar locations or activities.
  • It is unlawful, unless specifically authorized by law, to enter an election polling place on the day of any election carrying a firearm.

It is unlawful to possess a deadly weapon on grade or high school grounds. This shall not apply to an unloaded firearm within a means of transportation under the control of an adult, provided, if the adult leaves the vehicle, it shall be locked and the unloaded firearm shall not be visible, or for a program approved by the school.

Lloyd Collins

Old 07-19-2008, 07:13 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,791,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsl View Post
I just found this Re firearms:
  • No person shall carry a firearm "concealed on his person." This does not apply to a person in his dwelling, business premises or on real property owned or leased by that person. A handgun carried in a belt holster which is wholly or partially visible or carried in luggage is not considered carrying concealed.
  • It is unlawful to carry a firearm concealed within the immediate control of any person in or on a means of transportation. This does not apply to firearms carried in a case, holster or in a means of transportation or a storage compartment, trunk, pack, luggage, or glove compartment of a means of transportation.
  • No person shall, unless specifically authorized by law, enter a public establishment or attend a public event carrying a firearm after a reasonable request by the operator of the establishment or the sponsor of the event to remove his firearm and place it in the custody of the operator or sponsor. This does not apply to shooting ranges or shooting events, hunting areas or similar locations or activities.
  • It is unlawful, unless specifically authorized by law, to enter an election polling place on the day of any election carrying a firearm.
It is unlawful to possess a deadly weapon on grade or high school grounds. This shall not apply to an unloaded firearm within a means of transportation under the control of an adult, provided, if the adult leaves the vehicle, it shall be locked and the unloaded firearm shall not be visible, or for a program approved by the school.

Lloyd Collins
Yep from ARS 13-3102 Misconduct involving weapons; defenses; classification; definitions

For all the laws comcerning guns, go to ARS Title 13 Chapter 31 Weapons and Explosives.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:29 PM

700 posts, read 2,597,226 times
I have done quite a bit of camping with my old man in AZ. Though Im surely a cityslicker we enjoyed AZ allot. Whats great is there is a bunch of camping style withing a few hours of Phoenix. If your idea of camping is eating insects, making shelter from bear dung and navigating from the stars....you can do that. If your idea of roughing it is staying at Motel 6 instead of The Biltmore....thats doable too.

I always enjoyed a place called Beaver Creek, just outside Cottonwood in the Oak Creek Valley ( I may have goofed that up...but its a pretty well known area) There are a few different styles there alone. We also did the Havasu Trail at the bottom of the Grand Canyon (May have been Havasupai Tribe) out to Mooney Falls....stunning and quite a challenge.

My Dad is ex-NYPD, and he carried a firearm when we camped. Im not a gun advocate myself, but when a firearm is in the hands or on the belt of a responsible camper it is merely a tool like a canteen. Even I would most likely consider getting a permit specifically and only for camping because of the X factor in the wilds.

Happy Camping
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area