Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 02:50 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,717,544 times

Advertisements

My HOA has a management company I find inadequate, to put it politely. On top of our managing agent not returning calls (literally - I left five messages, in the last six weeks), I have now discovered that he has not sent me some mailings.

Is this just a lax guy, or is he actually violating some basic law? I am about to write a furious letter, and it would help if I can cite any regulation requiring him to, for instance, notify me of meetings. (I know if I call the A.G. office, they will not be of any use.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2020, 03:17 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,924,441 times
do you send him emails that you keep a copy of, to have a paper trail of proof of his lack of communication?
dont know if there is any law mandating their communication with anyone who lives in the area they manage, but, of course, I would start with your board in your complex, and let them know there is no follow up with that person...

Old 11-15-2020, 04:34 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,730,895 times
Document everything (emails are better than saying you called) and bring it to the board's attention in executive session (this may be AZ law). I think you can also ask that the manager to step out while you discuss.

Old 11-15-2020, 05:10 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,717,544 times
As I thought I made clear, these were telephone calls - casual ones. I don't use email for this kind of this.

So I'm not looking for general advice, only the specific question I asked.

Thanks

Old 11-15-2020, 07:03 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,984,339 times
It may not have anything to do with HOA law.

In the bad old days when I was in a condo development subject to an HOA, the management company reported only to the board. They would not return calls from individual owners. In fact, they were quite rude and dismissive of the owners. I could not even get simple questions answered.

Found out later the management company was run by a relative of one of the board members.

Old 11-16-2020, 12:21 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,031,035 times
Like everyone said.....email is the way to go. Look on the management company website for the contact information. Then as suggested, also address the issue with the HOA Board by going to a meeting. You are entitled to be advised of when and where the meetings are, usually the management company publicly "posts" this information in a conspicuous place at the property where you live, ie. a club house or, like in our case, there are metal sign posts next to the cluster mail boxes where a monthly newsletter is attached which contains the community information. We also receive a monthly email (or if we choose a postal mailing) regarding our monthly and annual meetings.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:04 AM

50,884 posts, read 24,393,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Document everything (emails are better than saying you called) and bring it to the board's attention in executive session (this may be AZ law). I think you can also ask that the manager to step out while you discuss.
In fact I would say to go one step further. Document everything and send a copy of that documentation to the HOA board via certified letter. It makes things begin to look legalistic, which makes people take you way more seriously.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:07 PM

1,695 posts, read 1,278,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
As I thought I made clear, these were telephone calls - casual ones. I don't use email for this kind of this.

So I'm not looking for general advice, only the specific question I asked.

Thanks
People are trying to help you. Obviously what you are doing is not working. Use email.

Old 11-18-2020, 07:25 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,031,035 times
OP, you don't seem receptive to the help you have received so far. So yes, there are many experts on HOA law. They are called real estate attorneys. Call one for the expert HOA legal advice that you need. An anonymous forum is not the place for "expert legal" advice and anyone who gets that from this type of venue may be sorry for following that "advice". Good luck with your dilemma.

Old 11-18-2020, 03:10 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,466,659 times
Why don't you do a search for "Arizona HOA law"?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=arizona+hoa+law&t=h_&ia=web

Or "arizona hoa laws and regulations":

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=arizona+ho...ns&t=h_&ia=web

Or "Phoenix HOA rules":

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=phoenix+hoa+rules&t=h_&ia=web

How about this one? "Arizona HOA Laws – A Quick Overview"

Arizona HOA Laws – A Quick Overview - Government Affairs

The last one describes "Arizona Open Meeting Law (ARS 33-1804/Condo ARS 33-1248)".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area