Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 06:54 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
Real tile is forever. What kinda nut would rip it out?
Arizona nuts. If it ain't grey, take it away. Gray on gray and some more gray is trendy now and Zonies gotta be trendy in their homes, spending 10, 20, 30K to make it so ripping out good tile to "upgrade" to gray. I think we are so nuts because of all the new homes built here. There are new homes on display like auto showrooms here and people pick up on the decorating trends and just have to have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2020, 09:05 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
LVP is a newer flooring product, so it might not be as common as engineered wood or tile flooring in many existing homes, but it is fast becoming the flooring of choice due to the ease of install, removal, and durability.
If you count 1970s as newer... It's 50 year old tech getting an extremely minor resurgence because it is very cheap and looks kind of like wood.

As someone else mentioned it has a plastic sheen to it because it is coated in several layers of clear plastic to give it it's durability. Were talking about a flooring product that is typically less than a quarter inch thick and flexible. It's only saving grace is it normally is floated, vs sheet vynl being glued down, so you won't see every foundation crack under it.

LVP looks horrible on stairs, against carpets and any other type of flooring (because of how thin it is), and sounds like you are walking on plastic when wearing shoes (like how most laminate flooring sounds).

Old 12-06-2020, 09:19 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Quote:
You haven't been looking real hard then.

I've seen it in $1mm+ homes, that have had multiple offers and gone above asking after sale.

I spoke with the seller of one such home, who said they put in real hardwood floors in a previous home, gorgeous to look at. When they sold it, the buyers ripped out the hardwood after taking possession, to put in tile flooring anyway. Total waste of money.

They said they would only do LVP from now on out.

LVP is a newer flooring product, so it might not be as common as engineered wood or tile flooring in many existing homes, but it is fast becoming the flooring of choice due to the ease of install, removal, and durability.

I had gorgeous engineered wood in a house, and it became scratched so easily. Given we were living in it and use the floor frequently, I was not about to put life on hold and move everything out and refinish the flooring every few years to renew it. So real wood flooring for commonly used areas are a big disadvantage, in my opinion.

If I was looking for a $1mm+ house, the flooring is the least of my concerns, compared to location, amenities, and other factors. However, if it had outdated tile or a color I didn't like (creme or gold colored tile), it would be a huge concern as the demolition and replacement of flooring would be a big project. If it had laminate or carpet, that would be extremely easy to replace and remove.

The thinking that LVP is "cheap" or not used in high end homes is becoming dated, in my opinion.
Again, I'd love to see some listings of high end homes that have vinyl floors. Natural materials have their downsides for sure. Cost and maintenance, but those likely aren't of concern to higher dollar buyers. AZ Manager's post above is spot on.

Old 12-06-2020, 09:54 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
If you count 1970s as newer... It's 50 year old tech getting an extremely minor resurgence because it is very cheap and looks kind of like wood.

As someone else mentioned it has a plastic sheen to it because it is coated in several layers of clear plastic to give it it's durability. Were talking about a flooring product that is typically less than a quarter inch thick and flexible. It's only saving grace is it normally is floated, vs sheet vynl being glued down, so you won't see every foundation crack under it.

LVP looks horrible on stairs, against carpets and any other type of flooring (because of how thin it is), and sounds like you are walking on plastic when wearing shoes (like how most laminate flooring sounds).
Your information seems dated. New high end LVP is about 1/4-3/8 inch thick with a rigid substrate composed of wood-plastic composite (google WPC flooring) or powdered stone-plastic composite (SPC). It is stiff as a board, has a built in foam base and does not transmit under surface irregularities. It is much like pergo but waterproof. It has the same aluminum oxide coatings as Pergo or engineered hardwood but does not need to be shiny. The vinyl is typically textured to match the print so you can "feel" the grain or the stone. Finishes range from matte to semi-glossy. Some of it is wood patterns, but stone pattern tiles are also available.

I have no idea how it might affect resale, but if one is considering Pergo then I think a long look at the WPC vinyl options is certainly in order. It seems superior in many ways to laminates. It's easy removal offering a blank slate to a prospective buyer is certainly more of a plus than dated tile.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 12-06-2020 at 10:09 AM..

Old 12-06-2020, 12:03 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,383,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Again, I'd love to see some listings of high end homes that have vinyl floors. Natural materials have their downsides for sure. Cost and maintenance, but those likely aren't of concern to higher dollar buyers. AZ Manager's post above is spot on.
It seems you and AZ Manager are a bit off regarding LVP. I have been looking at active listings for the last few years and even bought a few homes during that time, and LVP has always been a neutral or added bonus for homes, than any type of detraction.

High dollar buyers aren't concerned with cost, but they are concerned with maintenance. Not many people have time to redo flooring every few years to deal with scratches and water damage. Having to move everything out of the way to deal with floor demolition, all of the dust, etc., is no fun regardless of your price range. LVP addresses those issues easily. Plus it's cheap, so it's easy to take out and replace if the buyers get tired of the flooring.

Last edited by AndroidAZ; 12-06-2020 at 12:40 PM..

Old 12-06-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
It seems you and AZ Manager are a bit off regarding LVP. I have been looking at active listings for the last few years and even bought a few homes during that time, and LVP has always been a neutral or added bonus for homes, than any type of detraction.

High dollar buyers aren't concerned with cost, but they are concerned with maintenance. Not many people have time to redo flooring every few years to deal with scratches and water damage. Having to move everything out of the way to deal with floor demolition, all of the dust, etc., is no fun regardless of your price range. LVP addresses those issues easily. Plus it's cheap, so it's easy to take out and replace if the buyers get tired of the flooring.
Send me a listing or three if you come across them. Still interested in seeing vinyl flooring in a high end home. It doesn’t compute for me, “luxury” aside.

Old 12-06-2020, 02:43 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Your information seems dated. New high end LVP is about 1/4-3/8 inch thick with a rigid substrate composed of wood-plastic composite (google WPC flooring) or powdered stone-plastic composite (SPC). It is stiff as a board, has a built in foam base and does not transmit under surface irregularities. It is much like pergo but waterproof. It has the same aluminum oxide coatings as Pergo or engineered hardwood but does not need to be shiny. The vinyl is typically textured to match the print so you can "feel" the grain or the stone. Finishes range from matte to semi-glossy. Some of it is wood patterns, but stone pattern tiles are also available.

I have no idea how it might affect resale, but if one is considering Pergo then I think a long look at the WPC vinyl options is certainly in order. It seems superior in many ways to laminates. It's easy removal offering a blank slate to a prospective buyer is certainly more of a plus than dated tile.
I refloor 2-4 houses a year and they always try and talk me into this cheap flooring, my info isn't dated. Most LVP sold today is 5mm thick (0.2 inches) including the nearly paper thin pad layer; even at 1/4" wood isn't very stiff.

Old 12-06-2020, 04:06 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,272,512 times
Quote:
Send me a listing or three if you come across them. Still interested in seeing vinyl flooring in a high end home. It doesn’t compute for me, “luxury” aside.
All listed as vinyl in the MLS. Can't actually confirm this, but not sure why someone would advertise it as vinyl if that wasn't the case.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1.../8244206_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...6815502_zpid/?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...7830702_zpid/?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...2824269_zpid/?

Old 12-06-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
All listed as vinyl in the MLS. Can't actually confirm this, but not sure why someone would advertise it as vinyl if that wasn't the case.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1.../8244206_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...6815502_zpid/?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...7830702_zpid/?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...2824269_zpid/?
Interesting. That first house is nice.

These are horrific:

In the first pic you can see that nasty, cheap looking sheen. It looks so similar to laminate, which screams tacky to me.

Real wood. Just no substitute.

Last edited by DetroitN8V; 12-06-2020 at 04:32 PM..

Old 12-08-2020, 10:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,334 times
Quote:
In the first pic you can see that nasty, cheap looking sheen. It looks so similar to laminate, which screams tacky to me.
That sheen will fade over time if you don't like it.

https://findanyanswer.com/how-do-you...vinyl-flooring

Vinyl floors are sealed by the manufacturer with a low-gloss, no-wax sealant that gives it shine and luster. After two years, this glow fades even if you use a proper cleaning regimen on your floors.

Last edited by ilovetofu; 12-08-2020 at 10:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area