Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2020, 06:03 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I know that the first apartment I rented here back in 2013 for $705/month, now goes for $1,000/month for the same unit at the same complex. Just crazy to me, as people as a whole have not seen a 43% increase in their pay in that time (I managed to double my pay personally, but had to get training and switch careers to do it, it's not the norm)
I moved out to Arizona in June 2014 and signed a one year lease on a large one bedroom, 1009 sq ft apartment in Chandler for $795/mo. To that, they added a bunch of charges totaling around $70/month (including valet trash - eyeroll/smh) It was in what I considered a nice complex. I lived alone and was working an $11/hr full time job in Mesa and still coming up a few bucks short each month, even with scrimping on everything else (one lamp and tv on in the evenings, very basic local channel cable, didn't turn heat on in winter except for two weeks when apartment was 59 degrees, and didn't use a/c in the summer as it stayed tolerable without it). Today, that same apartment goes anywhere from $1265-$2236 per the website (I guess depending on the length of contract). My wages certainly would not have increased to keep up with the rent increase. I don't know what I would have done. I ended up breaking my lease a few months early and moving back to North Carolina where I had moved from, as I love it here in the mountains, but did not love it there in the valley. Now I make $17/hr and don't have rent or a mortgage, so have a lot more financial cushion. I was born in Phoenix, but raised in Northern California and lived there for 30+ years so I was used to a high cost of living until I left in 2006. It's a shame Phoenix has gotten that way too.

Last edited by jdljr; 12-08-2020 at 06:15 PM..

Old 12-08-2020, 06:13 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
The company which bought the property probably pay more than what it costs the seller,and it has to pay interest for the loan .
can you get a room mate?

Old 12-08-2020, 06:26 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
I think something similar went on in Oregon, and the Governor signed in a statewide rent control. It's the first statewide in the country. Arizona might find itself having to look into doing the same or some other measures. People have to live somewhere and it has to be addressed. It's one thing to raise rent based on COL increase. It's something entirely different when the increases are not in increments, and the increases are in such high amounts people can't pay them. That's when a city or state needs to take measures to stop what is gouging.

Old 12-08-2020, 06:44 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I think something similar went on in Oregon, and the Governor signed in a statewide rent control. It's the first statewide in the country. Arizona might find itself having to look into doing the same or some other measures. People have to live somewhere and it has to be addressed. It's one thing to raise rent based on COL increase. It's something entirely different when the increases are not in increments, and the increases are in such high amounts people can't pay them. That's when a city or state needs to take measures to stop what is gouging.
It's not price gouging and it doesn't need to be addressed and statewide rent control won't happen here. Prices here going up are based on the normal increased market demand not due to extraordinary factors such as a hurricane wiping out a third of the housing stock. What's going on here is people that want to live in the pricey and revitalizing "downtown" and can't afford it any longer but think they're entitled to continue to live there despite not addressing their income issue.

Old 12-08-2020, 06:46 PM

13,742 posts, read 8,004,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Rent control laws could be struck down.
https://therealdeal.com/2020/10/28/s...w-challengers/

Old 12-08-2020, 07:00 PM

4,391 posts, read 1,699,999 times
Quote:
They seem to think there's a plethora of potential tenants with money falling out of their @$&#oles
Right now, there is!

Old 12-08-2020, 07:25 PM

494 posts, read 501,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMouse111 View Post
I am sorry I created this thread. I did some research.

THE TRUTH which appears to be becoming the norm across the nation is as follows:

There is no real limit to the amount that landlords can legally raise their rent prices. Without an official law, in theory, landlords can double, triple, and even quadruple their rental rates.
There is a limit and it's set by the market. I plan to raise the rent for a rental property that I have from $1900 to $2800. Why should I leave money on the table? I'm raising money for my Ferrari. The government has no business in what I charge.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:59 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,368,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
It's not price gouging and it doesn't need to be addressed and statewide rent control won't happen here. Prices here going up are based on the normal increased market demand not due to extraordinary factors such as a hurricane wiping out a third of the housing stock. What's going on here is people that want to live in the pricey and revitalizing "downtown" and can't afford it any longer but think they're entitled to continue to live there despite not addressing their income issue.
It's not just those people, it's happening everywhere and really has no end in sight.

Buy, suck it up, or get out. Still figuring my own plan out. There will be no rent control here, nor should there be.

Old 12-09-2020, 01:46 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick85395 View Post
There is a limit and it's set by the market. I plan to raise the rent for a rental property that I have from $1900 to $2800. Why should I leave money on the table? I'm raising money for my Ferrari. The government has no business in what I charge.
I'm so sick of this saying. If you're already making a profit, no need to increase your price, especially by 44%!

Old 12-09-2020, 05:40 AM

811 posts, read 622,345 times
Quote:
I'm so sick of this saying. If you're already making a profit, no need to increase your price, especially by 44%!
It’s comments like this that expose one’s failure to recognize that we still live in a capitalistic, free enterprise society.
Have you considered moving to Venezuela?

I’m amazed at how people like you believe “whining” will change their state of misery. Try working harder/longer/smarter so you can make more money. That’s much more effective than pissing and moaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area