Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 08:19 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,732,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I can't fully agree with this. During most years, the extreme heat lasts about 4 months (roughly June through September), but this year has been a huge exception. I'd say it's definitely not walkable in the summer months, and especially during the day. At the same time, are dense urban cities like Boston, NYC, or even Seattle all that walkable during the winter months? I wouldn't want to be walking in below zero wind chills, snow, ice, or cold rain.

It can be pretty awful in those cities during the winter months. Of those I'm most familiar with Boston but also have spent a good amount of time in Chicago, I can tell you both see far less foot traffic in the winter months and just like here in the summer it's people generally getting to their destination and tourism like Duck Boats and River Boat Architecture cruises shut down for the winter season, they usually run April-November 7ish months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2020, 01:27 PM

717 posts, read 1,057,978 times
Quote:
I can't fully agree with this. During most years, the extreme heat lasts about 4 months (roughly June through September), but this year has been a huge exception. I'd say it's definitely not walkable in the summer months, and especially during the day. At the same time, are dense urban cities like Boston, NYC, or even Seattle all that walkable during the winter months? I wouldn't want to be walking in below zero wind chills, snow, ice, or cold rain.
Most of the time those cities do not experience below zero wind chills, even in the heart of winter. And Usually walking on a cold sunny day is actually fairly pleasant since we tend to heat up with physical activity. In Boston or New York you can find yourself sweating during a long walk in January. IMO it’s much easier to be active outside when it’s cold than it is when it’s hot.

Old 12-25-2020, 01:30 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Most of the time those cities do not experience below zero wind chills, even in the heart of winter. And Usually walking on a cold sunny day is actually fairly pleasant since we tend to heat up with physical activity. In Boston or New York you can find yourself sweating during a long walk in January. IMO it’s much easier to be active outside when it’s cold than it is when it’s hot.
If you feel that way, what's stopping you from moving back there?

Old 12-26-2020, 12:06 PM

89 posts, read 59,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Chicago on average experiences 8 below-zero days per winter. In 2019 there were two days at around -20 or -25. I'm pretty sure that's not even including wind chill. So that's false.

Walking on a cold sunny day is fine if you're bundled up and it's closer to 30 degrees or above. 20 and below, it sucks even with a balaclava and wearing a bunch of layers. Then you get really sweaty and have to shed layers and end up carrying your coat and scarf and/or hat for the rest of your walk. Same goes for entering a building - you go from 20 degrees to about 70. This is on a still day too. Any winter wind blowing in your face, forget it.

You can argue that you can't lose any more layers than the minimum on a super hot day, sure. But even the ability to wear tons of thermal layers doesn't often make a January walk in 12 degree weather enticing, no matter how sunny it is. At the end of the day, each place has a season where it's undesirable to do prolonged outdoor activity.

Old 12-26-2020, 12:26 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantstofry View Post
Chicago on average experiences 8 below-zero days per winter. In 2019 there were two days at around -20 or -25. I'm pretty sure that's not even including wind chill. So that's false.

Walking on a cold sunny day is fine if you're bundled up and it's closer to 30 degrees or above. 20 and below, it sucks even with a balaclava and wearing a bunch of layers. Then you get really sweaty and have to shed layers and end up carrying your coat and scarf and/or hat for the rest of your walk. Same goes for entering a building - you go from 20 degrees to about 70. This is on a still day too. Any winter wind blowing in your face, forget it.

You can argue that you can't lose any more layers than the minimum on a super hot day, sure. But even the ability to wear tons of thermal layers doesn't often make a January walk in 12 degree weather enticing, no matter how sunny it is. At the end of the day, each place has a season where it's undesirable to do prolonged outdoor activity.
Yep, and even then, you generally can't cover your face or hands adequately, and unless you're going to wear long johns, you won't adequately protect your legs either

Old 12-26-2020, 05:43 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,259,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantstofry View Post
At the end of the day, each place has a season where it's undesirable to do prolonged outdoor activity.
Pretty much true, but the exception to this would be coastal CA (especially southern CA). Their weather is almost the same as ours from about November through March. The difference is that they hardly ever get freezing temperatures in the winter, and the marine effect usually prevents them from getting excessively hot during the summer like we do. If somebody is looking for near perfect weather year round, coastal CA is THE place to be.

Old 12-26-2020, 09:52 PM

89 posts, read 59,659 times
Quote:
Pretty much true, but the exception to this would be coastal CA (especially southern CA). Their weather is almost the same as ours from about November through March. The difference is that they hardly ever get freezing temperatures in the winter, and the marine effect usually prevents them from getting excessively hot during the summer like we do. If somebody is looking for near perfect weather year round, coastal CA is THE place to be.
Correct. By "each" in my statement, I was just comparing the Midwest to Phoenix. But yes, coastal southern Cal is the weather utopia of the US, for sure. Which, of course, comes at a price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area