Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:16 PM

600 posts, read 1,083,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassieb75 View Post
I went for an earlymorning walk here in North Phoenix and in a 4 block radius I saw 6 dead birds along the side of the street. Has anyone else seen dead birds around? Is this something unusual? I found it odd!
pigeons are such a hassle and cause alot of damage and i know a few people who actually shoot them with pellet guns :/ Its quiet so no one would ever hear and it keeps them away from your house. Im not a supporter of this. you may have someone in your naighborhood who is though, and that would explain it since they usually fly away before dying :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 10:58 PM

551 posts, read 1,590,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
You might call Maricopa Co. When we were at the building department I noticed a file for dead birds. You might be able to have them come and pick up for testing. I would not touch it.

Agree with Motley Crew here. Never, ever touch a dead bird. It's best to call animal control or the health department.

Kern County has been having problems with West Nile virus although where I live its never been a problem.

LF

Old 05-08-2008, 10:17 AM

477 posts, read 1,583,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadmoFan View Post
Agree with Motley Crew here. Never, ever touch a dead bird. It's best to call animal control or the health department.

Kern County has been having problems with West Nile virus although where I live its never been a problem.

LF
I would Never touch anything dead. I did have to remove the one in my driveway though...with gloves and a paper towel!

Old 05-08-2008, 01:01 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
I have touched plenty of deab birds and nothing has ever happened to me before. I prefer the ones found at El Pollo Loco, but will occassionally pick them up at KFC as well. Hooters is especially a favorite spot but only for the wings.

In all seriousness, I would not advice anyone to ever touch any dead thing. I work in a hosppital and hand washing is the order of the day. There is a reaon that thing is dead. Now maybe it hit a car, or a car hit it. I have personally been party to the death of a few birds. Had a Sea Gull fly into the front of my pickup truckl. Also had some birds flying between fields pass in front of my car. Something on the ground though, who knows what killed that.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:43 AM

220 posts, read 648,944 times
It could be as simple as someone trying to get rid of pigeons and so they were feeding rice and the other birds have eaten it?

Old 05-09-2008, 02:03 AM

109 posts, read 158,812 times
i experienced the same thing walking to work the other day. 4 or 5 dead birds. by now there corpses are gross and ant covered but i was wondering it i should be concerned. i live off signal butte and baseline btw

Last edited by mattyk; 05-09-2008 at 02:03 AM.. Reason: spelling issues

Old 05-09-2008, 08:28 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
Not to worry. It's spring and kind of like spring break. Eveything is coming back alive. Birds are hatching from eggs, so there's a percentage of them who are simply novices to nature and will fly right into danger. The parents are also freaking out, so they might feel the need to protect the nest by headbutting a car. All of the bugs (their prey) are coming alive and going nuts, which might send their feathered friends into a frenzy. If you are a fan of Darwin, you have to concede that a good percentage of the dimmer ones are going to fly into windows, powerlines, etc. Even the smart ones might not be cognizant of our encroachment into their environs. I once looked up to see an older, proud bird pull wires from a transfomer on a telephone pole... until he bit into or pulled the wrong one and the whole thing exploded.

Even on a less dramatic scale, I've got young hummingbirds who challenge me in my back yard. They'll buzz me but I know I've planted the hummer friendly plants and it's a symbiotic relationship. They'll find I'm not a threat and in time they'll mellow, just like the park pigeons who'll sit at your feed or try and steal your bread.

Srping is a time when many things come alive and many things die as nature seeks a balance. It's simply life and is much easier for us than for them since we've learned to manipulate it.
Yeah, my cat gets totally pecked to death this time of year, not that he doesn't deserve it. You might have a cat rampage going on. All the cats in my area are having a blast taking out the protective mama birds this spring. The other day my cat had 2 in his mouth and was chasing another. I sprayed the hose and all escaped with no big injuries but..... I always try and spray my cat with the hose as a warning to leave the birds alone. You might have a pellet gun happy teenager too. A boy on our street shot a bunch of birds and 3 cats. One was mine. Had to take him to the vet. I try and keep him in right now with the bb's and the mama birds. He is very sneaky though.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:07 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Yeah, my cat gets totally pecked to death this time of year, not that he doesn't deserve it.
THAT was funny!

Old 06-20-2008, 05:38 AM

2 posts, read 7,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassieb75 View Post
I went for an earlymorning walk here in North Phoenix and in a 4 block radius I saw 6 dead birds along the side of the street. Has anyone else seen dead birds around? Is this something unusual? I found it odd!

I went down to New Jersey (I'm from Boston) to visit my boyfriend. We went for a walk and saw at least 10 dead birds over about a 2 mile walk. It looked like they just dropped from the sky. I also found it creepy.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:49 AM

2 posts, read 7,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslyke View Post
pigeons are such a hassle and cause alot of damage and i know a few people who actually shoot them with pellet guns :/ Its quiet so no one would ever hear and it keeps them away from your house. Im not a supporter of this. you may have someone in your naighborhood who is though, and that would explain it since they usually fly away before dying :/
? Why do you assume he saw pigeons? I can't speak for the guy in Phoenex, but the birds I saw in NJ were not pigeons. There was a variety of singing birds. Also, they all looked as if they just fell out of the sky. There was no blood; they were not in the street after being hit by a car, or anything like that. They looked like they'd been poisoned or something. They were everywhere. Then a friend of mine in Boston was telling us how she was walking around the other day and saw "all these dead birds!" I told the group I'd seen the same thing when I visited my boyfriend in NJ. This morning I got curious and Googled, "Has anyone else noticed all the dead birds?" Here is one thing I found, Birds fall from sky over town | NEWS.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,21035741-421,00.html - broken link)

I think this is a serious problem. It is happening all over the world to all types of birds, and fish, and frogs, and we all know about the bee population. No pun intended, but this is like the "canary in the coal mine," if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area