Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 09:25 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
https://www.azfamily.com/news/contin...49dbd4afe.html

So Biden & Harris took a "virtual" tour of the mass vaccination site at State Farm Stadium, and they said it's a model for others to follow. This proves how clueless both of them are ... as if we didn't know this in the first place. First of all, "virtual" tours can be easily manipulated to showcase only what the presenter wants the viewer(s) to see. Second of all, looking at something virtually isn't the same as being at the location physically. It's on the same level as virtual doctor appointments: unless it's hands on, it's pretty useless.

This is precisely one of the problems with the mass vaccination sites. Not only is the Cards Stadium in an inconvenient location, they don't consider the fact that everybody doesn't have their own transportation, and therefore wouldn't be able to use a drive through location. If and when the vaccines can become readily available at practically any medical facility or pharmacy just like the flu shots are, then I'll be less critical ... but not until then.
A virtual tour was much more sensible. Them being there is person would have cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in transportation alone, and been disruptive to the site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 09:26 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That is not what I saw. The first stop on way in (State Farm) is a worker who asks for your appointment number. They write it on the windshield. The appointment number is the key to the whole operation. No appointment number, no shot.

The screening is when you make the appt on the app. I suppose one could lie about their age. They do check ID (or did when I was there and when I drove my MIL) but IDK what they might do if it does not match. Probably nothing.
Other than showing them my appointment confirmation sheet, I was asked for nothing else in terms of identification.

Old 02-09-2021, 09:59 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,450,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I wonder if part of the reason they are not being pushed is that it means you have people standing around close to each other at the very time that you want people not standing around close to each other. I felt fairly safe in my car.
Dr. Crist said something like "from the safety of their own vehicles" during yesterday's virtual tour. I hear that phrasing a lot, and it always inspires an immediate from me.

The belief that a private car is the ultimate in family size personal protective equipment is widespread, but it ignores the big picture of public health. With 40,000 lives lost in collisions each year, a car is probably the most dangerous environment most of us occupy on any given day. Add to that toll the many more premature deaths and chronic health problems attributable to vehicle emissions. In fact, one known risk factor for COVID-19 is exposure to air pollution.

I'm enough of a realist to acknowledge that drive-thrus will inevitably be part of any mass vaccination effort, but it's unconscionable that they've been made the predominant mode of access. As I've said before, the Phoenix Convention Center would seem an ideal venue for a walk-thru site. Not only is it accessible via numerous bus routes and light rail, but its cavernous exhibit halls would allow for ample distancing among those being vaccinated.

Old 02-09-2021, 06:41 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
A virtual tour was much more sensible. Them being there is person would have cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in transportation alone, and been disruptive to the site.
Compared to Biden's plan of spending another $2 trillion on "COVID relief", a few hundred thousand dollars amounts to barely a drop in the bucket. Many virtual tours are programmed to show only what the presenter wants you to see, which doesn't paint a true picture of what is actually happening. You can get more realistic visuals on Google Maps or Google Earth than on practically any simulated tour. Besides, when things are done virtually, it increases the risk for lower quality and crucial mistakes to happen. Technology can only do so much, and can't fully replace the need for direct involvement/communication.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:20 PM

52 posts, read 46,340 times
I think that the State Farm Stadium is working very well. They are getting the vaccine into arms, in a reasonable prompt and controlled manner. There is huge demand for the vaccine, and people are getting frustrated that it is not delivered to them on their terms on their schedule.

I have helped a few people get signed up, but it seems a lot of people just want to complain about it. They usually end up saying something like 'I will just wait until I can get it at my Dr's office, or the grocery store, or ...'.

Not everybody can go first, and however you set the priorities, somebody will be upset.

Some states have rolled out plans that have been a royal flop. It looks to me like Arizona is doing an OK job.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:28 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaViking View Post
I think that the State Farm Stadium is working very well. They are getting the vaccine into arms, in a reasonable prompt and controlled manner. There is huge demand for the vaccine, and people are getting frustrated that it is not delivered to them on their terms on their schedule.

I have helped a few people get signed up, but it seems a lot of people just want to complain about it. They usually end up saying something like 'I will just wait until I can get it at my Dr's office, or the grocery store, or ...'.

Not everybody can go first, and however you set the priorities, somebody will be upset.

Some states have rolled out plans that have been a royal flop. It looks to me like Arizona is doing an OK job.
I'll give them credit as the people running this have definitely turned it around from the slow start.

Old 02-11-2021, 05:42 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,450,167 times
The University of Arizona main campus in Tucson just became the third state-run vaccination center. The wording below is refreshing, but it underscores how much of an oversight it is not to have the walk-thru option at any state-run site in Maricopa County:

The site has both a drive-through option on the University of Arizona Mall and a walk-up site at the Ina E. Gittings Building for people using public transit. Appointments are required for both locations.

https://news.arizona.edu/story/uariz...ccination-site

Old 02-11-2021, 07:34 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Dr. Crist said something like "from the safety of their own vehicles" during yesterday's virtual tour. I hear that phrasing a lot, and it always inspires an immediate from me.

The belief that a private car is the ultimate in family size personal protective equipment is widespread, but it ignores the big picture of public health. With 40,000 lives lost in collisions each year, a car is probably the most dangerous environment most of us occupy on any given day. Add to that toll the many more premature deaths and chronic health problems attributable to vehicle emissions. In fact, one known risk factor for COVID-19 is exposure to air pollution.

I'm enough of a realist to acknowledge that drive-thrus will inevitably be part of any mass vaccination effort, but it's unconscionable that they've been made the predominant mode of access. As I've said before, the Phoenix Convention Center would seem an ideal venue for a walk-thru site. Not only is it accessible via numerous bus routes and light rail, but its cavernous exhibit halls would allow for ample distancing among those being vaccinated.
You missed their point. What they said had absolutely nothing to do with deaths on the road or air pollution. The phrase "from the safety of their own vehicles" simply means that you don't have to be in line with others. i.e. it reduces the risk of infections because you are not inhaling their (potential) spit, touching handrails etc. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:01 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
You missed their point. What they said had absolutely nothing to do with deaths on the road or air pollution. The phrase "from the safety of their own vehicles" simply means that you don't have to be in line with others. i.e. it reduces the risk of infections because you are not inhaling their (potential) spit, touching handrails etc. Nothing more, nothing less.
I think most of us understood it was overheated hyperbole. In other words, ranting.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:23 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I think most of us understood it was overheated hyperbole. In other words, ranting.
I'm not so sure about that. After all, he/she added in a "". As if the phrase discussing the process for getting a shot was actually a dumb comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area