Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 09:39 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times

Advertisements

It seems like here in the Phoenix area there is a lot of fake news spreading around about department store closures, particularly with JCPenney and Macy's. Why is this? Store closures are posted publicly on the Internet. Many people claim they have heard about the SanTan Village Macy's closing despite being one of their higher-performing stores.

JCPenney does not publicly release which stores are among their higher performing, but I have heard from many locals that the Mill Crossing JCPenney is closing despite JCPenney not publicly announcing its closure yet. However, JCPenney has stated they will be closing more stores soon, so maybe there is some insider information from an employee or something.

So, why is there so much misinformation about local department store closures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 04:23 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,712,573 times
You need to understand that "fake news" and "misinformation" are not the same thing. Nor is "rumor." So you shouldn't act with such accusatory paranoia.

I believe that both stores are affiliated with Federated, and I believe that Federated has not been doing well, so it would seem to me that rumors of store closings are reasonable. And since stores only make announcements when it suits them, it's also reasonable to find that rumors spread.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:36 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,452,731 times
Let's hire Rudy Giuliani and demand a "full forensic audit" of all store closures.

Old 03-04-2021, 08:03 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times
"I went to JC Penney the other day..."

Words spoken by no one in the last 20 years.

Old 03-04-2021, 08:57 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
"I went to JC Penney the other day..."

Words spoken by no one in the last 20 years.
+1.

Except the OP, hes the only one going.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:59 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,344,638 times
Well here in Southwest Florida Macy's is closing stores. My local mall's Macys is closing. It might be closed already. I was there a month ago and over half the merchandise is gone and fixtures being sold. The one 40 miles to my north is also in the process of liquidation sale.

IMO the reason why Macy's is hurting is because of prices.

I can go to the outlet mall to the Ralph Lauren store, Tommy Hilfiger store, or Nautica and get the same jeans and shirts for about 30 to 40 percent less. Sometimes 50 percent or more with coupon.

Here in FL those outlet malls have the same brand names owned by the clothing makers.

Since moving back to FL I haven't bought any clothes at Macy's for almost 6 years.

JCpenny I used to buy from. Under old leadership they had decent sales, better selection. Now their coupons suck, higher prices and less sales.

Overall across the country I think outlet malls with cheaper prices killed malls along with online. I'm from St. Louis and when they opened two outlet malls the Chesterfield mall went down the crapper.

Even the outlet malls though now have a lot of vacancies. So where are people buying clothes then?

Old 03-04-2021, 10:35 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
So where are people buying clothes then?
Costco

Old 03-04-2021, 10:41 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Often times clothing from the outlet stores is not the same as what is sold in their non-outlet stores. For example, I've bought tops from Vineyard Vines and liked the quality. Then I went to their outlet store and saw what I thought was the exact same top but cheaper. Not only was the top (in the outlet store) cut smaller but the fabric was flimsy. There's a reason that outlet store clothing is cheaper.

https://www.racked.com/2014/10/8/757...et-mall-stores

As long as you are happy with what you find in outlet stores, that's fine. Just know what you're getting is not the same as what is in the non-outlet stores.

Post #6 --- You ask where people are buying clothes. I've read that people are buying clothing online, especially during the pandemic. I would rather go to a store and try on clothing to see how it looks and how well it fits before buying.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:07 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Often times clothing from the outlet stores is not the same as what is sold in their non-outlet stores. For example, I've bought tops from Vineyard Vines and liked the quality. Then I went to their outlet store and saw what I thought was the exact same top but cheaper. Not only was the top (in the outlet store) cut smaller but the fabric was flimsy. There's a reason that outlet store clothing is cheaper.

https://www.racked.com/2014/10/8/757...et-mall-stores

As long as you are happy with what you find in outlet stores, that's fine. Just know what you're getting is not the same as what is in the non-outlet stores.

Post #6 --- You ask where people are buying clothes. I've read that people are buying clothing online, especially during the pandemic. I would rather go to a store and try on clothing to see how it looks and how well it fits before buying.
The same is in fact true with warehouse clubs such as Costco and off-price stores such as Ross and T.J. Maxx, where the clothes are not the same as what is found in department stores.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:43 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,516,095 times
The Macy's here in my town in Texas is closing. Sad to see it go. It used to be another store called Foley's, but Macy's bought that chain and renamed the stores about 15 years ago. I worked at that store in the 1990s.

The mall here is owned by a company that missed a bond company recently, and they are in bankruptcy. I have seen past news articles that claim by 2025, 1/2 the malls in the USA will be closed. It appears that may be happening, unfortunately.

There are already many dead malls in various cities around Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area