Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2022, 09:36 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Wow you were getting royally, criminally ripped off then. I know someone who had a 1 br in Georgetown for around $1500 just 10 years ago.
I can imagine what that was like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2022, 10:25 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,229,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
How is that a "catch 22"? Pull up Indeed at any time and there are plenty of entry level jobs with room to move up.
Except for sales and Mcjobs, there are no entry level jobs that require no experience.

Virtually all those "entry level" jobs you are talking about require relevant experience.

Employers do not count Mcjob experience for any experience requirements, so those stuck in Mcjobs - have no experience in the eyes of employers. They then get rejected.

But you pretend this does not happen.

Quote:
No one is "stuck at a Mcjob"...that is a choice.
Well, you deny the catch-22's existence, so that's out of touch.

Quote:
Make better choices. You don't have to get an internship to have a career...that is just victim thinking. I know a guy that started at Intel in an entry level job, moved around a bit to find his niche and ended up in Sales
sales jobs don't require experience for entry level jobs.

Quote:
Keep making excuses and remain stuck in a Mcjob if you want. The world does not owe you a career. You owe that to yourself. That college education means little to nothing for most employers lately, they want someone talented, intelligent and have a good work ethic...if you have none of these things, you are not getting hired. There is your "catch 22"
And there you go. Someone has a different opinion and that means there's something wrong with them - this is not about me.

So, more proof that catch-22 deniers are not operating rationally.

Old 04-14-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Not to mention skilled trades are in super high-demand right now. Work at McJob and go to night school and learn skills like welding or the path to becoming a plumber or electrician. Those are legitimate careers that pay well.
Skilled trades require apprenticeships which are very difficult to find or get into if you do find them.

Quote:
Or hell, become a truck driver. https://www.abc4.com/news/local-news...-to-over-100k/
Yes. Get a truck driver job and get paid by the mile - thanks to DOT regs you can only drive so many hours - and that includes the 5-6 hours you wait to pick up your load (unpaid!!) and "I gotta find someplace to sleep oops, hard to find"

https://www.transwest.com/trucks/blo...truck-drivers/

Quote:
the median pay for a truck driver was $47,130 per year or $22.66 per hour. While this number is competitive in comparison to many other blue-collar jobs, long-haul truck drivers work extremely long hours and are required to spend large amounts of time away from home. This makes it hard to attract long-term drivers.
So thanks to $15-$20 being the typical Mcjob wage, you're working significantly higher amount of hours for not much more pay.

https://www.smart-trucking.com/truck-driver-shortage/

Quote:
Most companies pay drivers mileage instead of for the time they invest in driving or their special skills.

Often, they get nothing for the time they spend stuck in traffic jams, construction zones, bad weather or any of the other delays they encounter when on the road.

Pay based on mileage also raises safety concerns. Drivers may push too hard and stay on the road even when they know they need to rest. They know if they don’t, it lowers their pay even more.

Oh, and let's talk about autonomous driving trucks - already on the road and are increasing in numbers.

This field will not be a place to go later.

But hey, "NoBoDy WaNtS tO wOrK" right?

Old 04-14-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
I went from server in college, to college graduate, to entry-level job in related degree field.
Ah yes. The old "It didn't happen to me so it cannot possibly exist" mantra. Yup, what happened to you in 1982 can easily be replicated by someone in 2022. The job market didn't change at all in 40 years! /sarc

Quote:
Now maybe the Catch-22 exists if you decided to major in Gender Studies or Art History. "Well, I know a lot about Picasso and how to fry nuggets, but I have no clue about statistics, which is required for this analyst role I'm interviewing for..."
Let's see.

45% of recent grads are unemployed and 41% have Mcjobs. Only a single digit percentage of graduates have those worthless degrees you mention. What's the excuse for the other 80+ percentage who can't find jobs due to not having experience?

Can't be a catch-22. Nope. Sergeant Shultz sees nothing!

Old 04-14-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
We have a position open for an account manager here in Phoenix. You know how many applicants the Director received? 1. Some of our account managers pulled in $60k comp checks last month. We got ONE applicant for an open req. Just ridiculous.
And how many non-sales jobs do you have in your company?

Oh.

Only salesy people are allowed to have a career - if they make quota.

Old 04-14-2022, 11:20 AM

1,694 posts, read 1,275,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Skilled trades require apprenticeships which are very difficult to find or get into if you do find them.

Yes. Get a truck driver job and get paid by the mile - thanks to DOT regs you can only drive so many hours - and that includes the 5-6 hours you wait to pick up your load (unpaid!!) and "I gotta find someplace to sleep oops, hard to find"

https://www.transwest.com/trucks/blo...truck-drivers/

So thanks to $15-$20 being the typical Mcjob wage, you're working significantly higher amount of hours for not much more pay.

https://www.smart-trucking.com/truck-driver-shortage/

Oh, and let's talk about autonomous driving trucks - already on the road and are increasing in numbers.

This field will not be a place to go later.

But hey, "NoBoDy WaNtS tO wOrK" right?
What is life like living in a constant state of negativity and misery? I feel for you.

Old 04-14-2022, 11:25 AM

1,694 posts, read 1,275,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
To the point of the original post . Phoenix metro 2018 very affordable -2022 Not very affordable. Yes, soon Phoenix metro will be on par with Denver and Colorado Springs. Two of my Favorite places are AZ and Colorado and very very expensive for the average not-so-successful person A new trend in the Phoenix metro area is people over 50 living in their cars or pickups and Old RVs moving from one Walmart to the next. These are America's unfortunate unexceptional and unambitious and lazy as the more fortunate would say. They made poor choices despite their lower IQ the more fortunate will say. Why don't they leave and go to a place they can afford like rural Arkansas and live in parking lots there? Despite their learning disability, and inability to learn higher paying skills, why aren't they working at an Amazon fulfillment center, taking showers at Planet fitness, moving every night to a different Walmart or Farmer's side road? don't end up like them!
There are plenty of ways young people can get ahead, this is America! set your priorities even if you aren't exceptional and of average intelligence, there are resources available, don't give up, make plan A, Plan B, Plan C, live in a Ghetto if you have to, buy Cockroach killer but plan on getting somewhere just keep trying or move to FT Wayne Indiana I hear it is still affordable and they have some jobs.
Come on. Think back to high school. You remember the kids. The slackers, stoners, scrubs, etc (whatever you called them back then). These are the same people who are struggling to make it today. No ambition then, no ambition now. It shouldn't really surprise anyone.

To your other point, I don't think anyone is claiming people with disabilities (mental or physical) should be suffering or living on the street. This whole thing is in reference to very capable people who have made decisions throughout life that got them to certain points in life now. We are all given the same chance - sure, some people may have to work harder and overcome more obstacles, but the opportunity is always there. Most people simply choose not to take it. You can make excuse after excuse, but deep down you have to know you're wrong.

Old 04-14-2022, 12:15 PM

1,951 posts, read 2,301,928 times
So I guess all the slackers and potheads moved here hoping to keep on slacking but it is not working for them anymore.

Old 04-14-2022, 12:24 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,150,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
And how many non-sales jobs do you have in your company?

Oh.

Only salesy people are allowed to have a career - if they make quota.
We have about 49k people at my company...anywhere from field technicians to sales to finance to support. We regularly hire from our college programs, recruiting and online job postings. I started in a non-sales entry level job, worked in some different departments until I found a role that I liked and excel at.

If anyone is afraid to fail at sales, then sales isn't for them. Lots of peaks and valleys but as with anything in life, greater risk comes with greater reward and greater potential to fail. If someone wants to trudge along and be a worker bee...so be it. Stay in your Mcjob while others with drive and ambition get the careers.

Must suck having your view of life all the time.

Old 04-14-2022, 12:38 PM

132 posts, read 88,738 times
I'm looking to change employers right now and it sucks. Market is flooded with crap $15-20 an hour jobs with varying degrees of basic benefits.

Up to 90 days without health or dental insurance to start.

Another problem here is that phoenix is so big. I've found a few things I'd like to go after but even at a few thousand more a year it's not worth the drive and they certainly don't pay enough to relocate (which I'd do).

To further that, I'm seeing more positions asking if you live close or will relocate to be close. And then the job is $36-40 grand a year. Get real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area