Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2021, 09:36 PM

925 posts, read 1,064,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Cal is a mess. I mentioned in another thread the Phx metro might not be the 1st choice for those fleeing Cal. but it certainly is within the top 5.

Don't know where the cost of housing in the Phx metro will ultimately settle...but I saw this coming.
Interesting that a “mess” is so expensive. Most everyone I know that have left CA couldn’t afford a house. Now many people can’t afford one in Phoenix either. Next stop, Oklahoma...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2021, 11:19 PM

13,689 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
Interesting that a “mess” is so expensive. Most everyone I know that have left CA couldn’t afford a house. Now many people can’t afford one in Phoenix either. Next stop, Oklahoma...
Well, 53,000 Californians who may or may not have been able to afford a home in Cal. moved here in 2018/2019
https://www.thecentersquare.com/cali...1eeeab5b6.html

Wonder many moved after 2020?

But yes...if you can't afford the Phx metro perhaps Oklahoma: #1. We have a low cost of living.
https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/okla...ns-to-move-ok/

Last edited by john3232; 06-05-2021 at 11:34 PM..

Old 06-06-2021, 10:29 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Well, 53,000 Californians who may or may not have been able to afford a home in Cal. moved here in 2018/2019
https://www.thecentersquare.com/cali...1eeeab5b6.html

Wonder many moved after 2020?

But yes...if you can't afford the Phx metro perhaps Oklahoma: #1. We have a low cost of living.
Wow, that pro-Oklahoma CoC website was depressing

Old 06-06-2021, 10:38 AM

13,689 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Wow, that pro-Oklahoma CoC website was depressing

Well, if the Phx metro has become too pricy than... perhaps it's time to look elsewhere.

Old 06-06-2021, 12:05 PM

124 posts, read 108,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
We've been hearing this ever since the 1960s & '70s. There was even a strong NIMBY movement back then to stop California styled freeways from being built because they thought resistance to freeways would slow the growth. Turned out that the Phoenix area still grew rapidly, and we ended up with decades of intense gridlock due to a lack of freeways. In reality, it's doubtful that Phoenix will ever equal the size of L.A., but there have always been similarities in other aspects due to our somewhat close proximity.
Apparently, this was Tucson's approach to the highway system. And, now it's dreadful driving from one end of town to the other. The only thing saving Phoenix from becoming another LA perhaps are the reservations. Just thinking out loud here. If it weren't for the reservations Phoenix would be much bigger now I am thinking. While lacking proper water sources to boot.

Old 06-06-2021, 03:43 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
No thanks! Oklahoma is similar to Texas in many ways, but Texas at least has thriving, prosperous cities. To me, Oklahoma City and Tulsa seem like oversized small towns with kind of a redneck culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Dreamer View Post
Apparently, this was Tucson's approach to the highway system. And, now it's dreadful driving from one end of town to the other. The only thing saving Phoenix from becoming another LA perhaps are the reservations. Just thinking out loud here. If it weren't for the reservations Phoenix would be much bigger now I am thinking. While lacking proper water sources to boot.
Reservations don't necessarily halt expansive growth. In fact, they have a way of encouraging "leapfrog sprawl", which is actually worse. I believe the sprawl factor might be one thing which prevents Phoenix from being an L.A. sized metro. Fewer people want to live in a far flung exurban area anymore. Another thing which could be a factor is the desert environment. Many people find our hot, arid climate to be far less appealing than the Mediterranean climate of coastal CA for obvious reasons.

Old 06-06-2021, 04:08 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
Quote:
No thanks! Oklahoma is similar to Texas in many ways, but Texas at least has thriving, prosperous cities. To me, Oklahoma City and Tulsa seem like oversized small towns with kind of a redneck culture.
What? You don't find being on the roads with oil patch bros driving comically oversized, six figure priced pickup trucks on your bumper appealing? The only thing more fun is their office counterparts careening around in new Porches that can barely control. I've always thought OK City was like handing a half-a-million hillbillies a winning lottery ticket and standing back to see all they ways they can blow it. The results speak for themselves.

(plus they seem downright proud their NBA team is nothing more than stolen goods)

Old 06-06-2021, 04:14 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
What? You don't find being on the roads with oil patch bros driving comically oversized, six figure priced pickup trucks on your bumper appealing? The only thing more fun is their office counterparts careening around in new Porches that can barely control. I've always thought OK City was like handing a half-a-million hillbillies a winning lottery ticket and standing back to see all they ways they can blow it. The results speak for themselves.

(plus they seem downright proud their NBA team is nothing more than stolen goods)
Pretty sure New Orleans felt the same way when the Jazz moved to Salt Lake.City, and Baltimore felt the same way when the Colts moved to Indianapolis literally in the middle of the night

Old 06-06-2021, 04:32 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Pretty sure New Orleans felt the same way when the Jazz moved to Salt Lake.City, and Baltimore felt the same way when the Colts moved to Indianapolis literally in the middle of the night
I suppose, but in both of those cases reparations were made. No matter, until Seattle gets an NBA team the Thunder will be cursed and deservingly so...

Old 06-07-2021, 01:41 PM

124 posts, read 108,339 times
Quote:
I believe the sprawl factor might be one thing which prevents Phoenix from being an L.A. sized metro. Fewer people want to live in a far flung exurban area anymore.
Kinda what we see now with San Tan/Queen Creek and Maricopa areas of the east valley.

I understand the less expensive housing perspective. However, one of the reasons I decided years ago not to consider San Tan/Queen Creek and Maricopa was it's too damn far out and the roads were essentially non-existent or inadequate. Still feel that way today. One accident on the 347 ties up everything for hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area