Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2021, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,820 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Just moved here from the midwest a few weeks ago and and loving the heat!

Anyway, bought the house from some snowbirds that just passed away (RIP) and it is in decent shape, but some stuff is starting to give out or just doesn't work.

We lived in a place with pretty bad winters so home maintenance is a little different. This is also my first house.

Anyone have a checklist or a pieces of maintainance that they do?

Details:

* 2 story house
* 1 AC unit
* front door is west facing
* old appliances, probably over 15 years
* still a little dirty, which is to be expected as they barely lived here

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2021, 12:40 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,726,320 times
I clean my AC coils every year. I also pull the refrigerator out once or twice a year and blow the condenser coil out (if needed) with compressed air. Check your irrigation for bad heads and leaks.

Old 07-05-2021, 12:20 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmoved2az View Post
Hello,

Just moved here from the midwest a few weeks ago and and loving the heat!

Anyway, bought the house from some snowbirds that just passed away (RIP) and it is in decent shape, but some stuff is starting to give out or just doesn't work.

We lived in a place with pretty bad winters so home maintenance is a little different. This is also my first house.

Anyone have a checklist or a pieces of maintainance that they do?

Details:

* 2 story house
* 1 AC unit
* front door is west facing
* old appliances, probably over 15 years
* still a little dirty, which is to be expected as they barely lived here

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Loving the heat??? Sure you do because you're new here. Give it a few years and the monotony will most likely set in. With that said, you will definitely need to protect your home from our extreme summer climate. This includes regular A/C inspections. I use HVAC services twice a year to check for any problems with the heating & air conditioning units ... and with this, I receive discounts & priority call service should there be any repairs needed.

A/C units will run constantly from June through September, with July & August being the most active. More usage often translates to more frequent repairs/replacements, which aren't cheap. The thermostat should be set no lower than 78 degrees for purposes of saving on costs, but no higher than 82 or 83. Setting it too high can be hard on a home's interior, including appliances.

Heat can also be hard on exterior paint, so the best thing to do is buy the top quality products which hold up best in this kind of climate. The last time I had my house painted, I used Dunn Edwards Evershield which is less likely to fade from the intense sun, although it will over time. If your front door is facing the west, make sure it's fiberglass. This is more secure than standard wood, and also stands up to the heat better. Car maintenance is another topic, but this is definitely something you'll not want to neglect. Batteries, tires, hoses, and brakes tend to have shorter life spans in our climate.

Old 07-05-2021, 12:30 PM

6,759 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Here are some things that may be new to you...

If you have a tile roof, have any cracked tiles replaced. Annually.

Inspect for termites. Annually.

Black light check for scorpions. If you don’t find any then no need to check frequently. If you find some then do regular checks. If you like scorpions, then of course there’s no need for this!

Last edited by hikernut; 07-05-2021 at 12:59 PM..

Old 07-05-2021, 12:47 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Inspect for termites. Annually.
Exactly! Definitely can't overlook termites, and the Phoenix area sits on top of one of the largest & most active termite beds in North America. The most common is the subterranean species, which originates from the soil, and works its way into any foundation cracks. They not only wreck havoc on wood frames, but they can eat through drywall & cause significant damage. Newer homes may not always see evidence of termites right away, but older homes are especially vulnerable.

Old 07-05-2021, 02:07 PM

6,759 posts, read 5,056,845 times
I’ve found insect control in general to be a much bigger deal here than in other place I’ve lived.

I spray outside 6-8 times a year, using Bifen. Monthly during the summer, and less often in the cooler times. This keeps the roach population under control.

Old 07-05-2021, 06:18 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,711,644 times
I don't have a checklist, but I recently learned that I was supposed to have my a/c cleaned after monsoon season.

And do be aware that we are one of the two worst termite spots in the country, so shop carefully for an exterminator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: