Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 12:04 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,301,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
You chose to live in a desert. No one forced you. Does Bermuda grass natively grow in Arizona? So why force it when you have other, native to Arizona, subjectively beautiful options for landscaping?

But, as John Wayne famously said: if you are stupid, you better be tough. Cause you'll be working hard and paying out the wazoo to maintain that useless, dead, carefully engineered plant that is void of life and provides virtually zero habitat for pollinators.
Palm trees aren't native here either. Better chop them all down. Tempe Town Lake is man-made, we better drain it. Want me to continue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 12:25 PM

6,819 posts, read 5,127,442 times
Cutting back on watering just as it's getting hot does not seem right to me, but I'll confess we do not have a Bermuda lawn. Our immediate neighbors' lawns are looking really nice right now, but there are others (who normally have nice yards) with large dead areas. I wonder if the very hot weather we had in June was a problem for some?

Old 07-29-2021, 12:30 PM

1,204 posts, read 785,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
There are no native grass species that grow in the Sonoran desert. In fact no grass grows in the desert... that's kind of the point. Otherwise we'd be the Great Plains 2.0

I didn't mean grass. I suggested xeriscaping, and meant to say with native plants.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:33 PM

1,204 posts, read 785,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Palm trees aren't native here either. Better chop them all down. Tempe Town Lake is man-made, we better drain it. Want me to continue?

Yes, to getting rid of palm trees. You ain't in Florida, are you? Go with what's native to Arizona. You'll cut your maintenance so much, plus it's good for the environment. Here is the resource... these native gardens look gorgeous. Why not? https://aznps.com/grow-native/

Old 07-29-2021, 02:17 PM

14,042 posts, read 8,192,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damatster03 View Post
I purchased my home in December of 2020 and it had a lush green winter lawn in the front and back yards. I reduced watering it in April until early May when the winter lawn had died and aerated, fertilized, and threw down some more Bermuda seed. By early June the winter grass in half of the yard appeared to come back to life while the rest of the yard had Bermuda come up. A few months later, the winter lawn is completely dead with no Bermuda growing through. Does anybody have any ideas why? I looked at pics of the house from last year and google and it had a nice summer lawn
Don't know why the Bermuda died in one area but not the other. Here's my recommendation: take a shovel and turn over the area where the grass isn't growing. Break up the clay soil and mix it with some mulch:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kellogg-...-621/100427388

Next put down seeds and then cover the seeds lightly with with dirt. Or you can use a top soil:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kellogg-...-653/100427389

However, be careful. If you've already put down a fertilizer this year additional top soil might "burn" your lawn.

This summer I got the grass in the backyard of a rental looking pretty good considering it was hard clay when I started.

However, there were still patches I needed to fill in so I used Scott's Turf builder. I asked about using top soil again and one person told me not to. Said too much fertilizer would burn the lawn.

Another person told me not to worry and that I should put down a top soil... which I did.

Two days later lawn had started to turn a sickly brownish yellow.

So, it was back to square one: flipped over the dirt, broke up the clay, planted new seeds and lightly covered them with dirt. Didn't mix in any additional Kellogg Gromulch and of course no top soil.

The Bermuda grass is now coming back. Once it gets going it seems to grow pretty fast.

Old 07-29-2021, 04:12 PM

768 posts, read 1,764,631 times
Have you had your soil tested? You may be giving your grass the wrong nourishment.

Old 07-29-2021, 04:30 PM

7,520 posts, read 4,392,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Apparently some are. Maybe not in Phoenix?

Quote:
Are palm trees native to Arizona?
Arizona’s native palm trees can only be found at the palm canyon located on the Kofa National Wildlife Refuge . The California fan palm/desert palm/petticoat palm also scientifically known as Washingtonia filifera is the only palm tree native to Arizona.
Reference:
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...20to%20Arizona.

Old 07-29-2021, 05:06 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,866,124 times
If we were smarter back in the day, we might even have a free-flowing Salt River instead of Tempe Town Lake. But hindsight is 20/20, right?

That's what following generations will say when they become refugees and forced to leave here. Unless of course, we do prevention rather than reaction. Which means reducing water now, so there's more of it later.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:28 AM

14,042 posts, read 8,192,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
Have you had your soil tested? You may be giving your grass the wrong nourishment.

I used this:
https://www.amazon.com/MySoil-Soil-P.../dp/B084TSNR79

Old 07-30-2021, 10:59 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,301,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Apparently some are. Maybe not in Phoenix?
I didn't know that, but I was more referencing the greater Phoenix Metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area