Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 01:08 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,357,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
I didn't know that, but I was more referencing the greater Phoenix Metro.
I didn't either, I just assumed that Palm trees were native to all of the hottest parts of Arizona and the Colorado River Corridor. You made me curious so I had to look it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2021, 04:38 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
[mod cut - deleted post]

With that said, my grass is looking mighty green after all the rain!
Ours as well. We've had to mow it twice in two weeks. It looks great, but along with all that green, we have ugly mushrooms coming up for the first time.

In case anyone is wondering, there are no edible wild mushrooms in the Valley.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 08-02-2021 at 05:08 PM..

Old 08-02-2021, 05:49 PM

13,751 posts, read 8,009,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
OP. Years ago while fixing up my late Father's house I let the bermuda die. Mainly because I'm a cheapskate and watered it too little.

A little seeding, a lot of watering and 2 yrs later it was back. A lot of it came up without the seeding. Just needed more water. And time.

If you want it NOW find a lawn service and talk to them.
I have a rental and last year the HOA complained about several patches on the front lawn where the Bermuda grass for whatever the reason wasn't growing. I had two landscapers look at the problem. They adjusted the daily amount of water and put down some seeds. But this did little to improve the lawn.

What I ended up doing was getting a shovel and digging up the areas where the dead grass was. I flipped over the dirt and broke up the soil so it was soft.

Next I put down seeds, hosed the area and lightly rubbed the wet dirt so it would cover the seeds. Not too much dirt. Just enough to cover the seeds. Within five days I began to see the grass start to grow.

Now...the backyard where I live was basically hard clay dirt and had been this way since 2005 when I bought the property. There is a pool in the yard so I set the pool pump to backwash mode and hosed down the barren dirt. I did this several times which loosen the dirt enough that I could turn it over.

I broke up the clay dirt and treated it with gypsum mixed with an in-soil mulch. Then I put down the seeds and added a top soil. Started watering three times a day.

After a few weeks six weeks the grass started to grow but maybe 50% there was nothing. So, I flipped over those areas again, broke up the soil and planted more seeds. I had to do this several more times in areas where the grass still hadn't grown.

But today I'm almost finished. A few small patches still needed to be treated. However, for the most part the Bermuda grass has grown into a lush green in a backyard that was hard dirt clay soil two months earlier.

Last edited by john3232; 08-02-2021 at 06:10 PM..

Old 08-05-2021, 02:12 AM

13,273 posts, read 7,321,255 times
I had grass in the front and back rabbits killed my front lawn it needed to be completely redone we just removed it all and filled it in with gravel. Doesn't look very good I liked the old landscape but we got sick of high water bills.

My backyard I put in 20x40 rectangle for the dogs installed bobsod over 10 inches of mulch tilled with clean dirt. It holds the water my water bill is only $75 a month including a pool. The grass always browns little in July and August due to high heat. It recovers in September. Mostly where the dogs go to the bathroom on that area I try to water daily dilute the urine the grass .

Recently I noticed some of my sprinklers had calcium blocking I replaced all the heads and grass looks much better.

Old 08-11-2021, 09:49 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,947,978 times
I removed all the grass and replaced it with decorative stone,no water,no mowing and no hoa fines or nasty letters. Best move I made

Old 08-11-2021, 01:46 PM

1,694 posts, read 1,275,186 times
I'm actually about to rip out my turf in the backyard and put in a sprinkler system and lay down sod. The smell of dog p*ss on the turf over time has become too much for me to handle.

Old 08-11-2021, 09:45 PM

13,273 posts, read 7,321,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
I'm actually about to rip out my turf in the backyard and put in a sprinkler system and lay down sod. The smell of dog p*ss on the turf over time has become too much for me to handle.
Someone tried to sell me plastic turf said dog pee would not smell I suspected otherwise glad I didn't go that route. Most landscapers don't follow the Sod company install procedure which is 6-10" of tilled in mulch with clean dirt no rocks under the sod. They like the desert dirt with rocks compacts easy doesn't hold any water just runs off or evaporates. They don't have to pay the water bills when lose all that water. I used my screener I made and a rented bobcat to get rid of 5 wheelbarrow loads of rocks.

The only downside to the mulch is it will be soft for awhile you can roll compact it one of those rollers it took about a year to compact down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area