Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2021, 06:43 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,721,258 times

Advertisements

Scottsdale is all worked up because of the drop in tourism due to covid, and having big discussions about what they can do, especially about Old Town. But they don't seem to have noticed that it's basically a tourist trap, and part of the problem is that no residents go there regularly.

Is that whole idea of promoting it as "western" a smart idea, or is it worn-out fakery? Does that cowboy image hold appeal for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2021, 06:44 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,663,029 times
Worn-out fakery. I’d be way more apt to avoid somewhere with some silly cowboy theme.

Old 09-04-2021, 07:01 PM

2,559 posts, read 2,224,503 times
Still a few cowboys in Arizona, but you probably won't find many of them in Scottsdale.

Old 09-04-2021, 07:12 PM

410 posts, read 401,644 times
Not much western culture left anywhere in phoenix IMO lol not that there was much in the last 30 years

Old 09-04-2021, 07:28 PM

13,842 posts, read 8,059,821 times
Is a western/cowboy vibe important to you as a resident?

I think it's fine for a place like Sedona where a number of famous Westerns were filmed. However, the Phx metro? No.

We can do without the worn-out fakery.

Old 09-04-2021, 07:53 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,284,603 times
Mixed opinions. Scottsdale's Old Town has a historic western theme, and I see nothing wrong with having that as a tourist attraction, but the city itself shed that image long ago. If the drop in business is largely due to the theme, then I agree it's time to revamp it. There have been proposals to upgrade parts of Old Town for newer development, taller buildings, and the like, but the damn NIMBYs keep getting in the way.

Old 09-04-2021, 10:34 PM

717 posts, read 1,059,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
There have been proposals to upgrade parts of Old Town for newer development, taller buildings, and the like, but the damn NIMBYs keep getting in the way.
That's really what this is about. Scottsdale/developers want to build high rises like you see in tempe and phx and every time they try it gets shot down. Old West tourist gimmicks have nothing to do with anything.

Old 09-04-2021, 11:02 PM

6,408 posts, read 9,000,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Scottsdale is all worked up because of the drop in tourism due to covid, and having big discussions about what they can do, especially about Old Town. But they don't seem to have noticed that it's basically a tourist trap, and part of the problem is that no residents go there regularly.

Is that whole idea of promoting it as "western" a smart idea, or is it worn-out fakery? Does that cowboy image hold appeal for you?
How are you determining that Scottsdale is "worked up" and data do you have that suggests residents aren't frequenting Old Town?

Old 09-05-2021, 02:09 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,833,326 times
I actively avoid the cowboy vibe, just like many southerners I know who avoid the hillbilly portions of their areas. Or swampbillies in Florida, usually the Florida men we see on the internet.

Some of the exurbs like Buckeye have kind of a claim in it (Buckeye holds some pretty big rodeos) so they kind of have a right to that look but then again I also avoid Buckeye as much as possible.

Scottsdale has never been a western town, but then again the Phoenix metro never really was, because our city is so new. Meanwhile cities like Tucson, Bisbee, Tombstone, Jerome, Prescott etc. as much older cities in this state actually have quite the history with that stuff and have a better claim to it. So them having a western or cowboy vibe doesn’t annoy me as much as it does here. Here in Phoenix it’s just very fake and seems like tourism or snowbird pandering rather than anything of substance. There it’s real because well… it is. Tucson has Old Tucson, where they filmed John Wayne movies for crying out loud. If that’s not Western I don’t know what is. The others also speak for themselves.

Old 09-05-2021, 02:10 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,833,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Mixed opinions. Scottsdale's Old Town has a historic western theme, and I see nothing wrong with having that as a tourist attraction, but the city itself shed that image long ago. If the drop in business is largely due to the theme, then I agree it's time to revamp it. There have been proposals to upgrade parts of Old Town for newer development, taller buildings, and the like, but the damn NIMBYs keep getting in the way.
It’s nice to see us agree on something every now and again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area