Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 02:52 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,302,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Relax. It wasn’t a criticism of the restaurants themselves. I was just pointing out that none of these suburbs are significantly different from one another. They are all safe, generic, overly sanitized bedroom communities with the same general mix of safe, sanitized restaurants for middle class family patrons. These local chains, some of which are actually owned by corporations like Cheesecake Factory, allow suburb dwellers to feel like they are having a hip, trendy experience without leaving the comfort of their tract housing bubble. And they are good at what they do.

To be clear, I applaud gilbert for what they are trying to do to create a real town center. Nevertheless, it’s basically like every other suburban valley business center except the parking is in garages instead of giant lots in front of the businesses. That’s really the only difference.
Not a fair assessment. There are plenty of small mom and pop restaurants spread all over the place. You just have to skip stopping at the big chains and try those hole in the wall places in those strip malls that look all the same, but because of these places aren't.

As it turns out this is essentially the same in trendier places like New York and San Francisco with thriving downtowns. Those best places to go? The hole in the walls that fly under the radar known by the locals. Just a in a trendier "looking" downtown motif vs a generic strip mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2021, 11:40 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Here's a map showing the boundaries of what's considered to be Ahwatukee. Notice how there are two different sections: Ahwatukee (the older area), and Ahwatukee Foothills (the newer section). The original Ahwatukee has a mix of chain restaurants, as well as a variety of other cuisines. This is also where the AZ Grand Resort is located.

Old 10-01-2021, 04:32 PM

249 posts, read 165,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Not a whole lot of local one-off restaurants make it. It's a tough business so you have to be good at what you're doing to open 2-3 more locations, therefore I wouldn't discount some of the local chains. Bourbon and Bones comes to mind, the fact that they have one in Scottsdale and one in Gilbert doesn't make the quality any worse. My favorite restaurant in Chandler is probably Roy's, but I know people that go a couple hundred yards past Roy's to eat at Fleming's, which they prefer, or Shula's which is another quality chain. I think it's important to have a little mix of both, which we do. I have lots of great local places I have to get sushi, but I'd love for a Nobu or Morimoto "chain" to open near me. There's good chains and bad chains and I wouldn't call much of what we're seeing akin to Applebee's.
Which places to get good sushi? We had a takeout sushi ie makizushi near Chandler last year at a teppan sushi place and it was ok for vegetarian sushi, and few others. Price seemed very reasonable.

Old 10-02-2021, 07:44 AM

342 posts, read 318,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Here's a map showing the boundaries of what's considered to be Ahwatukee. Notice how there are two different sections: Ahwatukee (the older area), and Ahwatukee Foothills (the newer section). The original Ahwatukee has a mix of chain restaurants, as well as a variety of other cuisines. This is also where the AZ Grand Resort is located.
Thanks for the map. I used to live in an apartment complex in the 4400 block of Baseline Rd. and it was called Ahwatukee even though it wasn't considered it. It was due to the 85044 zip code.

Aw. I just found my old apartments. They used to be that familiar pinkish adobe color. I moved in the year my building was built, in 1989. (It's the place where I killed 40 scorpions in the four years I lived there.) Now they're white and blue. Here's the complex: https://www.thepalmsatsouthmountain.com

I paid $400 and some change for a two-bedroom, two bath. I bet it's more expensive now.

Old 10-02-2021, 07:59 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scully2010 View Post
Thanks for the map. I used to live in an apartment complex in the 4400 block of Baseline Rd. and it was called Ahwatukee even though it wasn't considered it. It was due to the 85044 zip code.

Aw. I just found my old apartments. They used to be that familiar pinkish adobe color. I moved in the year my building was built, in 1989. (It's the place where I killed 40 scorpions in the four years I lived there.) Now they're white and blue. Here's the complex: https://www.thepalmsatsouthmountain.com

I paid $400 and some change for a two-bedroom, two bath. I bet it's more expensive now.
From https://www.thepalmsatsouthmountain.com/floorplans

Two Bedroom, Two Bath
6 Available

Bed: 2
Bath: 2
Sq.Ft.: 940
Rent: $1,583to-$1,974

Based on inflation alone, in 1989, 1 dollar is worth $2.21 https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inf.../1989?amount=1 So your $400 place should be $884. Needless to say, PHX rent has taken off in price.

Old 10-02-2021, 12:50 PM

Rents have gone up everywhere, and much faster than inflation. Just like home prices everywhere. I bet you couldn't find a nice 2-bedroom, 2-bath apartment anywhere in a safe area in a popular city with a strong employment market for in the $800 range in 2021.

Old 10-05-2021, 12:11 AM

Quote:

Just realized the map I posted isn't up to date because the 202 South Mountain Freeway isn't shown. It has been completed for about 2 years. You're right about Baseline Road ... it's considered to be south Phoenix, or part of South Mountain Village, but not Ahwatukee. $400 couldn't even get a tiny studio apartment anymore. Those days appear to be gone forever.

Old 10-25-2021, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Just realized the map I posted isn't up to date because the 202 South Mountain Freeway isn't shown. It has been completed for about 2 years. You're right about Baseline Road ... it's considered to be south Phoenix, or part of South Mountain Village, but not Ahwatukee. $400 couldn't even get a tiny studio apartment anymore. Those days appear to be gone forever.
oh yeah, didn't think $400 was even possible anymore. you can't even do that in Louisville where I live now. That was 32 years ago in Phoenix.

Old 10-25-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
oh yeah, didn't think $400 was even possible anymore. you can't even do that in Louisville where I live now. That was 32 years ago in Phoenix.
There should be something available these days for $400 per month in the Phoenix area ... such as a cardboard box, a shipping crate, or a house burned out from a fire. Even a place on the south side, or in much of west Phoenix will be high priced for many people, based on the household incomes in those areas.

Old 10-25-2021, 08:14 PM

13,687 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:

San Francisco - 1983: 1 bedroom studio apartment. 500 sq ft. Outer Sunset district. Very safe

One block off Taraval train line.

Rental price: $210.

Today? Likely $2000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area