Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 10:54 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,302,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Not Arcadia Proper. One of the reasons it's desirable is the homes are custom built & of high quality, despite being older. It's rare to find a property in Arcadia valued at under $1 million. I pulled up Google maps of a random street in Arcadia. Feel free to take a look at the homes in this neighborhood. None of them could be described as "cookie cutter".

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5059...7i16384!8i8192
Plenty of expensive custom homes are quite uninspired and pretty cookie cutter. Plenty of old homes are cookie cutter, just old cookie cutter. About 80% of the homes in that link are fairly cookie cutter IMHO. A couple that stand out as more unique. Most I wouldn't personally ever choose since they aren't my cup o tea. Desirability doesn't mean everyone likes them and plenty of desirable homes are relatively cookie cutter.

When I heard people keep saying Arcadia homes are very much not cookie cutter, yet I see street views like that... I really am surprised. Certainly not the most cookie cutter I've ever seen, by a long shot, but far from the most unique homes either (again with a couple exception).

People have different tastes though and most of those homes are pretty similar looking and that specific look might appeal to people. The more unique minority stand out to me personally, though again Arcadia isn't my preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I don’t care if you agree or disagree with me. I’m not arguing an opinion. They’re custom homes and by definition, are not cookie cutter.

I listed two streets above. Arcadia isn’t a particularly large area.
Being custom homes isn't mutually exclusive with being cookie cutter. Different terms. Again plenty of custom homes are cookie cutter, if to a lesser degree than most non-custom homes. I disagree and I can do it without insulting you.

Old 10-11-2021, 11:03 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Yeah, I can see how large green lots with front row mountain view seats, central location, quality, unique construction, great restaurants, access to hiking, biking, golf and more would be not everyone’s cup of tea. Lol

Old 10-11-2021, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
Being custom homes isn't mutually exclusive with being cookie cutter. Different terms. Again plenty of custom homes are cookie cutter, if to a lesser degree than most non-custom homes. I disagree and I can do it without insulting you.
Perhaps looking up the definition of ‘custom’ will clear this up.

Old 10-11-2021, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Perhaps looking up the definition of ‘custom’ will clear this up.
I would suggest "cookie cutter". Which doesn't include "non custom" in those two words. Many "custom" houses aren't very custom, often they use "cookie cutter" specs, sometimes even more "cookie cutter" than some higher end tract homes often implied as "cookie cutter." There are plenty of custom home builders that sell spec homes as well, that are technically custom for example (this isn't anything new either).

Maybe you disagree, that's fine, but my opinion is mine and looking at those houses only solidifies my opinion, again with exceptions, though most are highly similar and hence "cookie cutter".

Old 10-11-2021, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I can see how large green lots with front row mountain view seats, central location, quality, unique construction, great restaurants, access to hiking, biking, golf and more would be not everyone’s cup of tea. Lol
Sarcasm instead of genuine discussion. I won't succumb to that.

There are plenty of high end neighbhoods with amenities. You could make that argument about countless places, or even other cities or States. I never said it wasn't nice, desirable. in fact I quite literally said

Quote:
Arcadia has a lot going for it and I get why it's so desirable.
There are plenty of places with moutain views, custom homes (plenty that are far more unique IMHO), green yards, biking golfing etc. In fact most of what you said could be applied to most custom home (and plenty of non custom home) communities being built or having been built in the valley.

Again, to each their own. Not sure why it bothers you so much that it's not my preference. I'm sure there are plenty of things I like that you would understand why but wouldn't personally choose.

Old 10-11-2021, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I would suggest "cookie cutter". Which doesn't include "non custom" in those two words. Many "custom" houses aren't very custom, often they use "cookie cutter" specs, sometimes even more "cookie cutter" than some higher end tract homes often implied as "cookie cutter." There are plenty of custom home builders that sell spec homes as well, that are technically custom for example (this isn't anything new either).

Maybe you disagree, that's fine, but my opinion is mine and looking at those houses only solidifies my opinion, again with exceptions, though most are highly similar and hence "cookie cutter".
Custom is custom. One-off, bespoke. The literal opposite of cookie-cutter. That’s what’s being referred to. Not whatever sort of watered down custom definition you’re attempting to use to bolster your incorrect argument. We’re talking about actual custom homes, like those found throughout Arcadia. Those by definition are not cookie-cutter houses.

Old 10-11-2021, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Sarcasm instead of genuine discussion. I won't succumb to that.

There are plenty of high end neighbhoods with amenities. You could make that argument about countless places, or even other cities or States. I never said it wasn't nice, desirable. in fact I quite literally said

There are plenty of places with moutain views, custom homes (plenty that are far more unique IMHO), green yards, biking golfing etc. In fact most of what you said could be applied to most custom home (and plenty of non custom home) communities being built or having been built in the valley.

Again, to each their own. Not sure why it bothers you so much that it's not my preference. I'm sure there are plenty of things I like that you would understand why but wouldn't personally choose.
I’m not bothered by your preferences. I’m correcting some of the incorrect assumptions you’ve used to get there. Go for a drive down Exeter and up Arcadia Dr. It sounds like you haven’t really been through there. There’s good reason why you can’t buy dirt for less than seven figures.

Old 10-11-2021, 11:34 PM

Quote:
I’m not bothered by your preferences. I’m correcting some of the incorrect assumptions you’ve used to get there. Go for a drive down Exeter and up Arcadia Dr. It sounds like you haven’t really been through there. There’s good reason why you can’t but dirt for less than seven figures.
No you are disagreeing with him but trying to invalidate my opinion for some reason instead of just saying you think I'm wrong and disagree.

Plenty of cookie cutter homes sell for that so price isn't proof of how cookie cutter something is or isn't.

So to illustrate my example in that link Valley Native posted here are some of the homes quite close to that exact spot

These two houses are quite similar in my opinion

Also these two

Nothing wrong with these homes, just relatively skin deep differences IMHO.

For example here is a tract home from Troll Brothers. This is the same exact model but different elevations

Those I find at least as different if not more. Front yards can be configured a variety of ways as well.

Here's a different model in the same community as well

In this one community there can be 6 different models with 3-5 different elevations per that can be quite distinct... On top of that I believe you can choose different colors as well, etc.

This is a "cookie cutter" builder and community that I personally find less cookie cutter than a lot of custom homes in those communities.

Again there are exceptions and I'm sure Arcadia has clusters of more unique homes too... but everything is relative to other things and even the example I showed is far from the only one or probably even the most unique variety of "cookie cutter" homes.

So I repeat I partially but don't fully agree with the sentiment about Arcadia and I keep all qualifications I included originally, that I can understand why it's appealing, that I'm sure there are clusters of more unique homes, etc etc. These are reasons I personally am not that impressed with the community, much like I can appreciate certain makes of cars, say a Porsche, but really prefer something else like a Mercedes or a Jaguar.

You are welcome to disagree.
Attached Thumbnails
Why are Arcadia and Arcadia Lite so popular?-screenshot-205-.png   Why are Arcadia and Arcadia Lite so popular?-screenshot-203-.png   Why are Arcadia and Arcadia Lite so popular?-screenshot-201-.png   Why are Arcadia and Arcadia Lite so popular?-screenshot-200-.png   Why are Arcadia and Arcadia Lite so popular?-screenshot-207-.png  

Why are Arcadia and Arcadia Lite so popular?-screenshot-206-.png   Why are Arcadia and Arcadia Lite so popular?-screenshot-209-.png  

Old 10-12-2021, 06:27 AM

342 posts, read 318,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Not Arcadia Proper. One of the reasons it's desirable is the homes are custom built & of high quality, despite being older. It's rare to find a property in Arcadia valued at under $1 million. I pulled up Google maps of a random street in Arcadia. Feel free to take a look at the homes in this neighborhood. None of them could be described as "cookie cutter".

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5059...7i16384!8i8192
Beautiful street!!! I loved this house in particular. Went to Zillow It's $2 million plus. I clearly have champagne tastes on an imported beer budget: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4.../7836440_zpid/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area