Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 04:48 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,758,481 times

Advertisements

Ok. The past few weekends have been frustrating if you live in the west valley. ADOT keeps closing the same stretch of freeway down and ignoring the sections of freeway that actually need the work. I'm not sure what their goal is here, but ADOT needs to pull their head out of their a$$es and fix the actual problems. I'm talking about the I10 east bound at around 43rd Ave. Driving on that particular stretch is insane. The freeway is neglected to a degree that it is almost dangerous to drive on.

ADOT knows this and instead of addressing the issue, they put messages on their digital billboards warning drivers of "rough road from 43rd Ave to 27th Ave". Rough road is an understatement and it feels like I'm driving on a bad dirt road. But hey, let's continue shutting down sections that obviously don't need the work while they actively neglect the areas that are in desperate need of repair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2021, 04:56 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,983,546 times
This is the only state I've ever lived in that thinks its OK to shut down entire sections of major freeways for entire weekends. Do they think we don't need to drive anywhere from Friday night to Monday morning?? Its ridiculous. One of my pet peeves for sure.

Old 10-16-2021, 05:03 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,205,311 times
It's not just the west valley. They do this everywhere and every weekend. johnp said it, I have never seen this just shutting down a freeway anywhere but here.

On the other hand, except for maybe 43rd and I10 we have, by far, the best urban freeways in the country. So maybe the weekend maintenance shutdowns are worth it.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 10-16-2021 at 05:11 PM..

Old 10-16-2021, 05:34 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,984,086 times
It's happening in CA. Shut down the freeway for maintenance for up to 72 hrs. typically over a weekend.

Old 10-16-2021, 05:43 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,954,248 times
Lots of freeway work being done by the Broadway curve too

Old 10-16-2021, 07:59 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,983,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
This is the only state I've ever lived in that thinks its OK to shut down entire sections of major freeways for entire weekends. Do they think we don't need to drive anywhere from Friday night to Monday morning?? Its ridiculous. One of my pet peeves for sure.
The above was my 6,000th post. In case anyone cares.

Old 10-16-2021, 09:55 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,256,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Ok. The past few weekends have been frustrating if you live in the west valley. ADOT keeps closing the same stretch of freeway down and ignoring the sections of freeway that actually need the work. I'm not sure what their goal is here, but ADOT needs to pull their head out of their a$$es and fix the actual problems. I'm talking about the I10 east bound at around 43rd Ave. Driving on that particular stretch is insane. The freeway is neglected to a degree that it is almost dangerous to drive on.
As others have stated, the Phoenix area has one of the best urban freeway systems in the nation ... however, this is only when the freeways are usable. It's absolutely asinine to shut down entire sections for a whole weekend, especially if it's for "maintenance" which would only require one or two lanes to be blocked off at the very most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
ADOT knows this and instead of addressing the issue, they put messages on their digital billboards warning drivers of "rough road from 43rd Ave to 27th Ave". Rough road is an understatement and it feels like I'm driving on a bad dirt road. But hey, let's continue shutting down sections that obviously don't need the work while they actively neglect the areas that are in desperate need of repair.
It's likely due to the horrible quality of that rubberized asphalt, which cracks & chips, and creates rough & hazardous conditions. ADOT finally realized the asphalt was a huge mistake, and now they're removing it in phases, starting with certain sections on Loops 101 & 202. Asphalt is also being removed on I10, but only on the Broadway Curve section. Guess how much the entire rubberized asphalt boondoggle has cost taxpayers. It's incredible how ADOT wastes so much of our money, and has absolutely no guilt about it.

Old 10-17-2021, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
It is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. I'm ok with shutting the freeway down for work, but these geniuses are working on the wrong section of freeway.

Old 10-17-2021, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It's not just the west valley. They do this everywhere and every weekend. johnp said it, I have never seen this just shutting down a freeway anywhere but here.

On the other hand, except for maybe 43rd and I10 we have, by far, the best urban freeways in the country. So maybe the weekend maintenance shutdowns are worth it.
Perhaps. But while I traverse these sections before and after the shut down, see no noticeable quality change. And yet, they continue to neglect certain sections while focusing on the same sections that don't need it. 43rd Ave area of the I10 is horrible. ADOT should be ashamed of themselves for allowing it to fall under the level of disrepair it has.

Old 10-17-2021, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Lots of freeway work being done by the Broadway curve too
Yep I see that too. I heard they are widening it, which will definitely help traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area