Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 11:10 PM

410 posts, read 400,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I was in the RV industry for a while and hit most of the trailer parks in Mesa & AJ at some point in time the past 10 years. What I saw were a few different demographics, some trailer parks were low income housing for folks one step above living out of their car. Then you had the small, family run trailer parks for retirees that were started back in the 1950's or 60's that the grandkids have inherited and don't want anymore. Developer knocks on their door to purchase the land for condos and the grandkids sell it off. Last are the huge mega-parks that are being snapped up by large corporations and what I see is the trailers are being replaced by park models (the original tiny house). Those parks I could see younger Boomers or Gen-X moving to simply for financial reasons to retire.
Still large swaths of parks out in Mesa and AJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2021, 05:44 AM

342 posts, read 320,819 times
I was just looking at home prices in Florida out of curiosity, with utterly no desire to live there. It's much more affordable for a home, even a waterfront home, in Florida, than in Phoenix. I think it's because of climate change and the fear of hurricanes. It's pretty much inevitable that if you live in Florida you will be dealing with hurricanes periodically. Look at this intercostal home with it's own private pier for $1 million: https://www.redfin.com/FL/Fort-Pierc.../home/64086175 or this beautiful one on Melbourne Beach with access to the river and the ocean for $909K and it's been for sale for 151 days: https://www.redfin.com/FL/Melbourne-...home/123862502 or this one a street over for $730K with a pool https://www.redfin.com/FL/Melbourne-...home/120019160

Old 10-22-2021, 05:52 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,482,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinezac View Post
Still large swaths of parks out in Mesa and AJ
I wouldn't disagree with you, but for how long?

Old 10-22-2021, 06:13 AM

2,022 posts, read 869,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scully2010 View Post
I was just looking at home prices in Florida out of curiosity, with utterly no desire to live there. It's much more affordable for a home, even a waterfront home, in Florida, than in Phoenix. I think it's because of climate change and the fear of hurricanes. It's pretty much inevitable that if you live in Florida you will be dealing with hurricanes periodically. Look at this intercostal home with it's own private pier for $1 million: https://www.redfin.com/FL/Fort-Pierc.../home/64086175 or this beautiful one on Melbourne Beach with access to the river and the ocean for $909K and it's been for sale for 151 days: https://www.redfin.com/FL/Melbourne-...home/123862502 or this one a street over for $730K with a pool https://www.redfin.com/FL/Melbourne-...home/120019160
The homes you list were much cheaper a few years ago. New Yorkers buying things up in Florida, same as Californian's buying up Arizona. But, it's this way across the country. I live in Maryland, my house gained over $100,000 in one year. I'm building a home in Arizona as we speak at ridiculously high construction prices. But,it's a wash because I'm getting more for my home in Maryland. The problem is if you are not in the game now, you are finding yourself playing catch up. Ya gotta pay to play. ⁷

Old 10-22-2021, 06:20 AM

9,538 posts, read 16,530,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scully2010 View Post
It's the homeowners Insurance here in Florida that's the problem. Not only the outrageous price of it, but the constant fear of either being canx. Or little choice in finding a company that will insure you. When that happens your forced into the State Insurer which is called Citizens Insurance. The cost to insure with them is out of reach for far to many homeowners. So to sum it up people may find a house here. Insuring it is an entirely different matter. It's rather a unique problem with this particular state. It's all due to violent storms that are certain to hit us.

Old 10-22-2021, 10:14 AM

383 posts, read 635,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
It's the homeowners Insurance here in Florida that's the problem. Not only the outrageous price of it, but the constant fear of either being canx. Or little choice in finding a company that will insure you. When that happens your forced into the State Insurer which is called Citizens Insurance. The cost to insure with them is out of reach for far to many homeowners. So to sum it up people may find a house here. Insuring it is an entirely different matter. It's rather a unique problem with this particular state. It's all due to violent storms that are certain to hit us.
When I lived there, I checked out the cost for sinkhole insurance. That was way too expensive for me.
The Tampa Bay and Pasco County had too many sinkhole issues for my comfort.

Old 10-22-2021, 10:27 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,057,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I am tempted to move to a colder clime myself. I spend my summers on a waterfront property up near the Canadian border now and coming back here, even in October, is thermal and visual shock. Phoenix has much to do for people who are into going to restaurants and such and great medical as poster above finds important. But it is a tough place to live once you get past the active retirement years with traffic and the congestion. Sitting in the rocker staring out the picture window at a frozen lake in winter seems oh so much more peaceful than dealing with a freeway closure.
...until you've gotta go outside for something and you slip on the ice and break a hip!

Old 10-22-2021, 10:30 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,057,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
Yup the rich retirees are coming here since it's still super cheap compared to other desirable locations.
If someone is actually rich, do they really need to worry about "cheap"?

Old 10-22-2021, 11:01 AM

410 posts, read 400,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I wouldn't disagree with you, but for how long?
Tough to say, probably start to see some clear out and be sold for multi family housing I would think. Depends how phoenix does in the next 20 years.

Old 10-22-2021, 11:35 AM

9,538 posts, read 16,530,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeg View Post
When I lived there, I checked out the cost for sinkhole insurance. That was way too expensive for me.
The Tampa Bay and Pasco County had too many sinkhole issues for my comfort.
Marion County where I live which is by TheVillages has a serious problem with sink holes. There is a beautiful park here with a nice fish pond in it. One night recently a sink hole formed and every drop of water in that pond was gone. The next morning when it opened, and the workers found out what happened. That big park had to be closed for about 6 weeks for repairs. I still go to it but I don't go near the pond. Sink holes can swallow homes in a flash, and yes the insurance coverage to cover them is outrageous. You were smart to get out of here when you did. We are having some horrible insurance increases the last 2 years. Also the population increases are overwhelming everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area