Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 03:03 PM

32 posts, read 29,057 times

Advertisements

I had some large trees, no mess, that had great shade and needed very little water, but I ultimately had to get them removed because the roots went and messed up my neighbors concrete curbing. Anyways, the Sissoo tree grows very well. Mine were 15 years old and beautiful but the roots can grow very far. They were planted by the builder. They are not considered invasive roots but they kind of are in a sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 03:22 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,189,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthinker View Post
Thinking to grow a tree close to a fence with neighbor to block afternoon sun. The room on the west side of house gets too hot in the summer. Thank you for your advices!
Depending where you are located and your corresponding climate zone in Arizona, how much room you have - below are a few considerations for a tree selection for your specific case.
Consider a “firescaping” pre-cautions as well if it may affect your property. Deciduous trees are usually safer from the fire protection point of view.
To cast a dense shade- you may need something like southern magnolia, etc- but depends on the above considerations

https://dffm.az.gov/sites/default/fi...rochure-EN.pdf

https://dffm.az.gov/sites/default/fi...28.pdf#page=55

Trees are better than a curtain- it creates a microclimate and lowers the temperature at least 20 degrees.
Select native trees if it fits your situation - better adapted to temperatures, water or a lack of, soils type

Old 01-06-2022, 10:49 AM

915 posts, read 1,190,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiel87 View Post
I had some large trees, no mess, that had great shade and needed very little water, but I ultimately had to get them removed because the roots went and messed up my neighbors concrete curbing. Anyways, the Sissoo tree grows very well. Mine were 15 years old and beautiful but the roots can grow very far. They were planted by the builder. They are not considered invasive roots but they kind of are in a sense.
I've read (I think on this forum) negative experiences about Sissoo trees because of how difficult it is to get rid of their roots.

Old 01-06-2022, 11:46 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,724,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
I've read (I think on this forum) negative experiences about Sissoo trees because of how difficult it is to get rid of their roots.
Yeah, I'm not sure where that poster read that their roots weren't invasive.

Old 01-10-2022, 06:48 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,296,787 times
in Arizona, the Afghan pine can reach heights of 75 feet or more and provides a shady canopy nearly 30 feet wide. Also called the Mondell pine or the Eldarica pine, the tree does well during the heat and drought of the summertime. Afghan Pine grows 2 to 3 feet per year. Water availability will determine the growth rate. This pine prefers full sun. Grows up to 70 feet in height and 30 feet in spread. I see a lot of these in Tucson.I had two of these in my backyard in the Chihuahuan desert. the temperature rarely reached 106-108. Its needles will sometimes be brown, green, and thin in the summer but it is not dying. mine reached to over 40 ft in within 18 years.
check with local nurseries such as Moon Valley Nurseries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area