Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 11:29 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I was working near ASU, so I’m talking about just the downtown area when I’m talking about crime. The southeast part of Tempe is much safer and that area brings down the crime numbers quite a bit as most crime happens in downtown and North Tempe.

That’s what caused me to stay in Fountain Hills. Because if I’m willing to commute from SE Tempe, why not just drive a few more minutes and stay in a place that I like much better and am comfortable in.

I get it though, this part of the forum is filled with liberals who don’t like my way of thinking and don’t like me bringing up problems in liberal cities.
It has nothing to do with your politics, although that’s a nice scapegoat to tell yourself. I assure you, if you were scared of conservative Provo the laughter would sound the same. It has to do with the absurdity of being afraid of a regular college town to the point that you have to use bogus data to defend the baseless paranoia. It’s all a bit sad, but also downright hilarious to think that someone would be so wildly concerned about a temporary visit to Tempe. I seen the crazies with my own peepers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2022, 11:37 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
I get it though, this part of the forum is filled with liberals who don’t like my way of thinking and don’t like me bringing up problems in liberal cities.
I voted R every single election but the last two because of someone who rhymed with Rump. I was also said mentioned Portland was a ****-hole. I'm simply a firm believer in objective data. That said, considering your default was to blame politics, if you are being honest, you are skewed by political views.

Old 03-13-2022, 04:35 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I voted R every single election but the last two because of someone who rhymed with Rump. I was also said mentioned Portland was a ****-hole. I'm simply a firm believer in objective data. That said, considering your default was to blame politics, if you are being honest, you are skewed by political views.
I think we finally got the answer. The OP just wanted to comment on "Durr, liberal cities". I don't think the trip to Tempe or Fountain Hills ever happened. It was a script.

Old 03-13-2022, 07:21 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I've done no such thing.
You have advocated fining people for being poor.

Fines = more money for cronies. You think more money for cronies solves homelessness.

Also, you say "they must work it off" how if they can't find a job?

They're homeless for a reason - they're poor!

Quote:
In addition you didn't answer my question about addicts
Typically, most substance abusers aren’t sociopaths, but most sociopaths tend to be chemically dependent.
https://rehabs.com/blog/the-curious-...and-addiction/
So what to do with them? I see zero answer.

Your only solution so far is to punish poor people for being poor and enrich cronies.

What do you want to do with people who won't rehabilitate?

Quote:
Well, if a person doesn't want to change that's their choice. However, they will be held accountable for their behavior. Addiction isn't an excuse.
That means what?

Quote:
You have a hatred of poor people. Those get your ire.
I don't hate poor people nor do I hate those with money. Some people I like and some I don't.
Well, you want to punish people for being poor. How does that not indicate a hatred of poor people?

Old 03-13-2022, 08:10 PM

13,688 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
You have advocated fining people for being poor.

Fines = more money for cronies. You think more money for cronies solves homelessness.

Also, you say "they must work it off" how if they can't find a job?

They're homeless for a reason - they're poor!

So what to do with them? I see zero answer.

Your only solution so far is to punish poor people for being poor and enrich cronies.

[i]What do you want to do with people who won't rehabilitate?

That means what?

Well, you want to punish people for being poor. How does that not indicate a hatred of poor people?

This would be up to the city. Let the non-violent offender work off the fines instead of sitting in a jail cell.

Me: Well, if a person doesn't want to change that's their choice. However, they will be held accountable for their behavior. Addiction isn't an excuse.

You: That means what?

Me: Just what I said.

Well, you want to punish people for being poor.

Nobody is being punished for being poor.

Old 03-13-2022, 11:46 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
I never implied I was some kind of tough guy and I don’t feel that I am at all. I’m just a normal person, but I am very comfortable with firearms, and I choose to exercise my right to arm. I’ve been in many countries where they are not given that right and those people are at the mercy of their government.

As far as Tempe, I guess we can choose to disagree on if that is a good place to live or stay. I don’t think it is, and it should be unquestioned that there are dangerous people out on the street in Tempe, all over. I seen them with my own eyes. The police are very busy there, the sirens blast many times throughout the day and night.

If that appeals to you, plus seeing nut cases on just about every corner downtown, go for it. I don’t think it’s safe at all for a woman walking alone out there, but again, that’s your right to walk around all you want to.

“Baltimore is worse”. I don’t doubt that it is, but what does that have to do with Tempe? If you are a victim of a crime in Tempe, can you console yourself with the idea that Baltimore is worse?

Tempe has one of the highest rates of motor vehicle theft in the nation.
1 in 24 chance of being a victim of a property crime.
Violent crime is above the national average.

Also, it’s not fear. It’s situational awareness. If you have the means to protect yourself better from a vehicle theft or break in, why would you not do that? Not sure why many in this forum don’t like me stating the obvious?
I'll meet you half way on this. My office is in downtown Tempe, and has been for many years. During that time, I personally witnessed Tempe grow from a rather smallish college town to a bustling city. Just in the last few years, the amount of highrise development has been pretty amazing for a suburban city of 200,000. During the day, I never feel unsafe walking in downtown Tempe, regardless if it's along Mill Avenue, Rio Salado, or anywhere else. Plenty of women in my company walk to different eateries, and don't seem to have any issues.

With the exception of summer, the streets are bustling with people. Are there seedy characters lurking around? Of course. I've seen plenty of them, and the most prevalent seem to be the panhandlers. Most of them aren't truly homeless, and are out looking for spare drug & booze money. If approached, the best remedy is to ignore them. The expression "don't feed the trolls" works most of the time. If they become aggressive, that's a different story, and they need to be stopped.

I don't blame you at all for carrying a firearm ... in fact, I support it. Me personally, I'd be more concerned about going to a convenient store, ATM, or gas station late at night in just about any part of the metro than I would walking around in downtown Tempe in broad daylight. Mill Avenue attracts some characters who definitely should be avoided, but the shady ones are outnumbered by the multitudes of others who browse, dine, and make an honest living in Tempe.

Old 03-16-2022, 08:50 AM

Quote:
This would be up to the city. Let the non-violent offender work off the fines instead of sitting in a jail cell.
So you advocate slavery for poor people.

Quote:
Me: Just what I said.
You didn't say what you meant. Fines? Jail term? Firing squad? What exactly do you mean they are "held accountable"?

Quote:
Well, you want to punish people for being poor.

Nobody is being punished for being poor.
Not yet, but you advocate that poor people be punished for being poor.

So, this is what I see from your message:

Addicts: Zero details, just some vague thing.

Mentally ill: Society should have mercy on them they can't help themselves. But no actual plan to solve their homeless.

Poor: Throw the book at them! Enslave them! Punish them! More money for cronies always solves homelessness! You hate poor people.

I, of course, disagree.

Poor people should not be punished for being poor. The catch-22 should be outlawed, and people allowed to work for a living, in a job that pays enough to pay their rent so they don't have to be homeless.

Clearly you never been poor in your life. Had everything handed to you on a silver platter.

Mentally ill should be housed in institutions and provided mental health care. That won't happen because the money saved by closing those institutions was funneled to cronies.

Last edited by bobsell; 03-16-2022 at 09:03 AM..

Old 03-16-2022, 09:43 AM

Quote:
So you advocate slavery for poor people.

You didn't say what you meant. Fines? Jail term? Firing squad? What exactly do you mean they are "held accountable"?

Not yet, but you advocate that poor people be punished for being poor.

Addicts: Zero details, just some vague thing.

Mentally ill: Society should have mercy on them they can't help themselves. But no actual plan to solve their homeless.

Poor: Throw the book at them! Enslave them! Punish them! More money for cronies always solves homelessness! You hate poor people.

I, of course, disagree.

Poor people should not be punished for being poor. The catch-22 should be outlawed, and people allowed to work for a living, in a job that pays enough to pay their rent so they don't have to be homeless.

Clearly you never been poor in your life. Had everything handed to you on a silver platter.

Mentally ill should be housed in institutions and provided mental health care. That won't happen because the money saved by closing those institutions was funneled to cronies.

Not even close.

So, this is what I see from your message

And this is what I'm saying: Whatever a person’s reasons living on the street this does not entitle them to do as they please. They are accountable for their behavior. And today we're seeing changes in a number of left-leaning cities around the country:

San Francisco Mayor London Breed declared a state of emergency in December in the crime-heavy Tenderloin neighborhood, which has been ground zero for drug dealing, overdose deaths and homelessness. She said it’s time to get aggressive and “less tolerant of all the bull—- that has destroyed our city.”

In Austin, Texas. Last year voters there reinstated a ban that penalizes those who camp downtown and near the University of Texas, in addition to making it a crime to ask for money in certain areas and times.

LA Mayoral candidate Joe Buscaino has introduced plans for a ballot measure that would prohibit people from sleeping outdoors in public spaces if they have turned down offers of shelter.

In Seattle, new Mayor Bruce Harrell ran on a platform that called for action on encampments, focusing on highly visible tent cities in his first few months in office. Across from City Hall, two blocks worth of tents and belongings were removed Wednesday.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...t-16993799.php

Old 03-16-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I've repeatedly said if a (non-violent) offender can't pay the fines they be allowed to work off what is owed.

Old 03-16-2022, 12:38 PM

Quote:
And this is what I'm saying: Whatever a person’s reasons living on the street this does not entitle them to do as they please.
Poor people are not there on the street because they do as they please.

They are homeless because THEY CANNOT do what they please - which is to have steady employment and a place they can afford.

What an out of touch comment. You're making it sound like they're just sitting on the street eating bonbons and having life all good.

Quote:
I've repeatedly said if a (non-violent) offender can't pay the fines they be allowed to work off what is owed.
So slavery for poor people is what you advocate.

Mentally ill can't do this, so you give them a pass.

Addicts can't do this, so you give them a pass.

So basically speaking, you hate poor people and want them enslaved.

Also more money for cronies is your only solution for homelessness - which will not work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area