Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2022, 10:19 AM

6,775 posts, read 5,080,459 times

Advertisements

I replace the batteries in our Hondas every two years, Interstate batteries from Costco. There are probably better batteries out there, but at roughly $100 every two years it's not a big cost. I forgot to change it out on time once, and that battery died a couple months past three years (which is the length of their warranty, haha). There was zero warning. The vehicle started just fine, and then on the next attempt to start it was very dead... not even a "click".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2022, 03:35 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,926,507 times
For the 3 years of the free replacement period, I'll wait until it dies and get another one free. If it happens to last more than the three years I'll replace it quick but I'll keep the old one in case I need 12v DC for something. I always have a dead core on hand to turn in when I get a new one.

I get them at Sam's Club or Walmart.

Old 08-18-2022, 01:07 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,456,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Glad I have an older, simpler car I suppose
Turned out OK. Dealer had a sale price, and with the Ford Pass "points" I had from back when I bought the car, surprise, it was free.

Old 08-19-2022, 12:46 PM

996 posts, read 549,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponderosa View Post
if mine makes it to three years, i know it is going to go click on me in the next few months. I don't want to be stuck somewhere, so i replace it.
+1

Old 08-19-2022, 09:46 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,183,988 times
Btw- we have our own solid state battery start-up in Phoenix (though production is supposed to be in San Jose, CA). It's the first offering of solid state batteries for some kind of mass production.
https://powerable.com/

Old 08-25-2022, 02:45 PM

16,399 posts, read 30,321,072 times
I used to use Interstate but the last two did NOT make it two years. I purchased my last battery from my Toyota dealership as the warranty is a lot more favorable.

Old 09-21-2022, 04:19 PM

50 posts, read 48,877 times
I used to obsess about getting the absolute most out of a battery (the best one, longest warranty). It was a badge of honor if it lasted 4 years, or replaced for free (warranty). I always ended up sitting dead somewhere waiting for a jump. They usually go out in April-June. Not the best time to be sitting waiting that way.

Eventually I had the brilliant idea to just buy ordinary batteries and replace them every two years. The ordinary Autozone or O'Reilly battery. They always last 2 years. Walmart's Maxx Everstart was the best value (more warranty for lower price. Not that I expected to last 3 years. But, the warranty suggested less chance of failing before 2 years. And, it cost less than O'Reilly or Autozone's 2-year batteries.). But, Walmart changed their source. They used to be made by Johnson Controls, and had serviceable caps to refill the fluid level. The new ones come from S. Korea (which could be ok, I don't know) with a "zero maintenance" top which allows evaporation (it's not sealed), but you can't add water. So, I stick with O'Reilly or Autozone now.

I think adding distilled water to the cells is a big part of how long a battery lasts. That acid/water goes down due to evaporation and boiling (charging). Checking that every 6 months can make the difference between early or late failure. (I still wouldn't run a battery to the last mile. It's easier to replace on a fixed schedule. But, servicing the battery's fluid level can reduce the odds of the batter failing before 2 years.). Many people probably don't know how to tell if it needs distilled water. There's a plastic wall going down each cell hole. If the water touches that wall it has a convex appearance. That's "full." If the water's too low, the edge breaks. It's a flat fluid surface instead of clinging to the edges. Servicing that can improve a battery's dependability during those 2 years.

If you can (enclosed garage), I'd recommend opening the hood to let the heat escape. Heat's the enemy of batteries. This can help it last (more reliability). If you're going to have the hood up, a trickle charger can help too (especially if you make short trips that may not fully charge the battery while driving). Harbor Freight's "Deluxe" trickle charger works good (their cheapest model doesn't have polarity protection. Connect it backwards once, and you're buying a new one). IMO Amazon's ASIN: B074Z2NFWW is better doing what it does for the same money.

Old 09-25-2022, 09:46 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,183,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U no me View Post
I used to obsess about getting the absolute most out of a battery (the best one, longest warranty). It was a badge of honor if it lasted 4 years, or replaced for free (warranty). I always ended up sitting dead somewhere waiting for a jump. They usually go out in April-June. Not the best time to be sitting waiting that way.

Eventually I had the brilliant idea to just buy ordinary batteries and replace them every two years. The ordinary Autozone or O'Reilly battery. They always last 2 years. Walmart's Maxx Everstart was the best value (more warranty for lower price. Not that I expected to last 3 years. But, the warranty suggested less chance of failing before 2 years. And, it cost less than O'Reilly or Autozone's 2-year batteries.). But, Walmart changed their source. They used to be made by Johnson Controls, and had serviceable caps to refill the fluid level. The new ones come from S. Korea (which could be ok, I don't know) with a "zero maintenance" top which allows evaporation (it's not sealed), but you can't add water. So, I stick with O'Reilly or Autozone now.

I think adding distilled water to the cells is a big part of how long a battery lasts. That acid/water goes down due to evaporation and boiling (charging). Checking that every 6 months can make the difference between early or late failure. (I still wouldn't run a battery to the last mile. It's easier to replace on a fixed schedule. But, servicing the battery's fluid level can reduce the odds of the batter failing before 2 years.). Many people probably don't know how to tell if it needs distilled water. There's a plastic wall going down each cell hole. If the water touches that wall it has a convex appearance. That's "full." If the water's too low, the edge breaks. It's a flat fluid surface instead of clinging to the edges. Servicing that can improve a battery's dependability during those 2 years.

If you can (enclosed garage), I'd recommend opening the hood to let the heat escape. Heat's the enemy of batteries. This can help it last (more reliability). If you're going to have the hood up, a trickle charger can help too (especially if you make short trips that may not fully charge the battery while driving). Harbor Freight's "Deluxe" trickle charger works good (their cheapest model doesn't have polarity protection. Connect it backwards once, and you're buying a new one). IMO Amazon's ASIN: B074Z2NFWW is better doing what it does for the same money.
Those are great tips. I would add - find and eliminate creeping currents. My dome lights had them. I fixed it and replaced them with LEDs.

Old 09-26-2022, 01:55 AM

13,324 posts, read 7,362,767 times
Arizona heat eats up batteries I swap them every 2 years at Costco. They used to go 3 years they reduced it to 2 years free replacement. Last set for my diesel I put AGM's in it not sure how well they will do this 6.7 Cummins engine pulls lot of amps when it starts. Costco as long as you stay within the warranty period no questions asked just swap them. Interstate are not the best battery but I really don't think any battery is great here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area