Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,638 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to the Phoenix Area for my work in about 2-4 months.
I will be moving with my wife and son, who is 4 years old and has been diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (PDD-NOS/Speech specifically).
I will be working in one of two locations, south/east Phoenix (city) around S 40th x I-10 or west Chandler off of W Ray Rd x Hwy 101. Because of this I think I am aiming for the south eastern greater phoenix area.

My first priority is a good school for my son. I have read much on these forums about Gilbert school district having great special ed programs. What about Kyrene, Chandler, Tempe, Phoenix and the many tiny elementary districts around it? Which areas are most kid friendly? I have checked out GreatSchools.com but there seems to be good and bad schools in any of these areas.

I would like to mildly keep the commute in mind as I have been told that the only things that suck about Phoenix are the heat and the commute.
If Dysart is the best school district for special ed I'll go ahead and commute 2 hours but would prefer to stay as close to work as possible.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 03:43 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,604,542 times
How old is your son? Some district offer Autism programs...some just enroll the students in other special ed classrooms.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,638 times
Quote:
I will be moving with my wife and son, who is 4 years old
Thank you for you help

Old 05-27-2008, 06:47 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,057,136 times
Default Not alot of Great Schools Here

After working 7 years for the state in the Early Intervention program, I would not recommend anyone with a child with that diagnosis come to AZ. But ,if you HAVE to, stay in the Kyrene SD. It is the best in the state, IMHO, and your child will have a positive experience, although not the same as in another state.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 6,715 times
Default In-home ABA Services covered through Insurance

This might not help with your particular school issues, but it can make all the difference at home and will have a positive effect on academics, behavior and social skills.

Effective July 2009, private insurance companies are obligated to provide coverage for evidence-based behavioral therapy, including procedures derived from Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA), such as, Discrete Trial and Pivotal Response Training, intensive intervention programs, and early intensive behavioral intervention. BISTÃ… Autism Center is an approved network provider for select insurance companies.

Contact Dr. Stenhoff at BISTA for more information.
Welcome to BISTÃ… Autism Center
602-995-7366

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area