Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 08:39 AM

837 posts, read 2,336,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini2daheart View Post
Thank you for your comments.
With all due respect Gemini, calm it on down a few notches.....lol
I can understand the frustration with those who just want to bash Detroit and say "why in the hell would you miss it", but others are in the same boat that you're in no matter what color, or gender they are. It's a culture shock for ANYONE from MI to move out here unless they moved from Birmingham to schottsdale and only remained in scottsdale .
The overwhelming mexican american population here would be a shock to anyone, and IMHO they only take kindly to themselves. I didn't live in Detroit either, but I knew exactly what you were talking about when I read the title of your post. So don't get upset if someone is trying "relate" or is "empathetic" to your plight. Your further alienating yourselve in a distant land by shunning off folks.
Okay......I'm done now
Now Someone mentioned White Castles!!...........boy oh boy do I miss em! You can only really eat at WC about 3 or 4 times a year, but I do miss em. That's the first place I hit when I'm leaving Metro Airport when I come back to visit! In fact since reminding me of them I just called my buddy in Detroit to pick up a 50 pack (frozen) and next day air them out here to me!.....lol I know I'm crazy huh. (and Yes if you go to the white castle resturaunts you can buy a case of frozen burgers. They taste waaaayyyy better the frozen ones at the grocery store.
I also miss fishing!! Me and my twin 9 year old sons would go right around the corner and fish in the Huron River! We rarely caught anything, but it was fun just to sit out in the shade of the tree's and soak up the atmosphere with our lines in the water. At least I did anyway.....the boys mostly liked reeling in their lines and re-casting them over and over again....lol. I seen a gentlemen fishing in the Canal the other day......and I was like WTF??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 12:03 PM

430 posts, read 1,175,473 times
I'm from Michigan not Detroit. There as we well know many issues going on in Detroit but lets face it there is a lot of issues in Michigan. Many people our family included are having to move from the state to just find jobs eleswhere. I think wherever you go if you grew up somewhere else you feel in another place like you don't belong or that you don't fit in. Here where we live we have family , friend we know where things are and how to get there. I can go to a place and remember riding my bike there as a child or playing a baseball game there. I guess the Country song is right These are my people this is where I come from. It always feels good to belong.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:30 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,520,088 times
I can understand the OP's feelings. I am from the midwest and I had to move here for a job, so I could HAVE a job. Phoenix is a nice city, but I know no one, I am older, I am single, so I have a lot of things stacked against me. I am working weekends.
I have no family here to celebrate holidays with. So it's not PHX,it's just having to relocate and uproot and lose my past.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:49 PM

837 posts, read 2,336,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I can understand the OP's feelings. I am from the midwest and I had to move here for a job, so I could HAVE a job. Phoenix is a nice city, but I know no one, I am older, I am single, so I have a lot of things stacked against me. I am working weekends.
I have no family here to celebrate holidays with. So it's not PHX,it's just having to relocate and uproot and lose my past.
I feel you about not having family here to celebrate with. I usually spend holidays with a buddy of mines family, and I have been dubbed "Couzin trudawg" lol, but I did spend Christmas alone with a roommate I had at the time. It does get hard. But that is what makes me more determined than ever! The fact that I could move 2k miles away alone, with hardly anything and make it and do pretty well for myself has been a tremendous boost to my self esteem. So much so that I enjoy being single! LOL

Old 06-05-2008, 03:38 PM

85 posts, read 432,711 times
I'm a black woman who moved to Mesa from Atlanta, but originally am from SC and have close family ties to Detroit. I also lived in Columbus, Ohio for a few years. I understand where you are coming from. There are not a lot of black people here, period, and like someone else said, the few that are here are spread out all over the place. You really have to put in much more of an effort to stay connected to other black people out here. I didn't have a problem doing that as I am a church-goer, but if you're not one, that could contribute to the isolation you feel.

I'm a single black woman, 37 years old, with no children. In the romance area, my 16 months here have been a disaster. For single black women who only date black men, this area is a desert in the realest sense. However, there are plenty of jobs here and for some people that may make everything else tolerable.

As for me, I'm heading back to the South, but not to Atlanta or any other really large area. After I got here and got off to an amazing start, I became disabled and I can't work anymore. I live comfortably, but without the income I had from working, the drawbacks to this area are not worth it, anymore - especially when it comes to the summer heat.

I feel where you are coming from and I hope things get better for you. Best of luck to you and your family.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:41 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,429,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloStar View Post
I'm a black woman who moved to Mesa from Atlanta, but originally am from SC and have close family ties to Detroit. I also lived in Columbus, Ohio for a few years. I understand where you are coming from. There are not a lot of black people here, period, and like someone else said, the few that are here are spread out all over the place. You really have to put in much more of an effort to stay connected to other black people out here. I didn't have a problem doing that as I am a church-goer, but if you're not one, that could contribute to the isolation you feel.

I'm a single black woman, 37 years old, with no children. In the romance area, my 16 months here have been a disaster. For single black women who only date black men, this area is a desert in the realest sense. However, there are plenty of jobs here and for some people that may make everything else tolerable.

As for me, I'm heading back to the South, but not to Atlanta or any other really large area. After I got here and got off to an amazing start, I became disabled and I can't work anymore. I live comfortably, but without the income I had from working, the drawbacks to this area are not worth it, anymore - especially when it comes to the summer heat.

I feel where you are coming from and I hope things get better for you. Best of luck to you and your family.
Best of luck to you, too. Sounds like youve had it rough.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:43 PM

Thanks, Steve-o...

Truth be told, the roughest part has been dealing with being permanently disabled at age 37, and realizing the implications and complications this is going to have on my life. But, because I'm a glass half full kinda girl, I changed my attitude toward my situation and instead of saying I'm disabled, I say I'm in early retirement, LOL.

Now I have all the time in the world to take as many pictures as I want in my newfound hobby of photography and photoblogging. I think I saw some photos you took in the Photography forum? Your pics are awesome! I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll stop here, but I'd like to pick your brain sometime if it's okay (?). I've only been photographing for a month now, so I could use some pointers.

Thanks, again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Best of luck to you, too. Sounds like youve had it rough.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:52 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,429,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloStar View Post
Thanks, Steve-o...

Truth be told, the roughest part has been dealing with being permanently disabled at age 37, and realizing the implications and complications this is going to have on my life. But, because I'm a glass half full kinda girl, I changed my attitude toward my situation and instead of saying I'm disabled, I say I'm in early retirement, LOL.

Now I have all the time in the world to take as many pictures as I want in my newfound hobby of photography and photoblogging. I think I saw some photos you took in the Photography forum? Your pics are awesome! I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll stop here, but I'd like to pick your brain sometime if it's okay (?). I've only been photographing for a month now, so I could use some pointers.

Thanks, again!
Anytime. Just DM me with any questions you mave have, and good luck once again on your future move.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:37 PM

108 posts, read 305,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Anytime. Just DM me with any questions you mave have, and good luck once again on your future move.

Amen to that!

Old 06-08-2008, 12:44 AM

Amen to what? What do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHook View Post
Amen to that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area