Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 11:55 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,457,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUalumni View Post
I don't recall getting "LAUGHED off the IL boards", but I'll let you believe what you will. Many of us have found that it is no use to help the helpless realize what is right in front of them. The reason why many of us do not frequent the IL boards like we did before, is because of the constant attacks by you. In fact, I think it was you who everyone pretty much determined was out of touch with reality, and without a doubt laughed you off, when you so wonderfully declared that suburbanizing the world's most fertile farmland was "classy and full of soul". Maybe I should foward the DMs I got on that to you! After that incident, and the board was closed, C-D actually lost members.

By the way, I'm glad that you know me so well and all, but I don't recall ever saying that I was moving to Arizona. Not sure where you got that? Hmmmmm.... If anything I will be forced into moving up to ugly western Chicagoland within the next year. Won't that be a treat? Also, I didn't follow you here to the Arizona boards. I come here alot because I find Arizona to be an amazing place. It just so happens, (imagine this), that I found you going on and on about the same things over and over and over and over and over again. Do you ever get the hint? Please mods, take action and help us all!!! Is there no board that is free from these constant attacks?!!!
Well, you kicked things off YOURSELF a few weeks ago by reviving a 5 month old thread, attacking me personally. Remember the thread "Wasco"? That might spark something in that, uh, memory of yours. Youre a typical downstater who despises all things Chicagoland, and is very vocal about it. Noone can say anything about Chicagoland w/o you chiming in stating "you bulldoze the worlds best soil" and yada, yada, yada. But laughably, you recommend B-U and C-N to newcomers, and guess what? Those cities are guilty of the same thing many Chicago burbs are... bulldozing farmland. Even more funny is how you condemn Chicago's sprawl, but then go on to say, and I quote: "I just got back from Gilbert, AZ and cant believe how fast its growing! You all should move there!" LMBO!!!!!!!!!! If there ever was a definition of hypocrite, it would be you, sir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 12:00 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,300,074 times
The past several posts are totally off topic -

Old 05-31-2008, 12:13 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,457,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The past several posts are totally off topic -
Agreed.

Fcorrales and I were having some decent discussion until BUalumni comes along and attacks me, and then asks the mods to ban me because I "attack" him. Gotta love it!

Back on track.... PHX is young, PHX is growing. But with growth comes a lot of problems, the same problems that many Phoenicians attack other cities about.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:18 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Well, "gentlemen", its better to defend ones home than it is to be completely delusional (as you all seem to be regarding PHX). Ill leave it at that.
Huh? What part of "leave it at that" don't I understand?

Old 05-31-2008, 12:34 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I find it interesting that you can learn a good deal about Chicago by reading the Phoenix forum. At times it seems that every other thread has been hijacked into a Chicago vs Phoenix argument. I've been on the forum a while and can spot instantly when a thread is going to be hijacked. All you have to do is mention anything even remotely negative about the midwest - the humidity, traffic, crime and the "Defender" leaps into action hijacking the thread and insulting anyone who dares to disagree. You are spot on in observing that certain individuals appear to have carte blanche when it comes to following the terms of service. And you are not alone in wishing the owners would do something about it.
I completely agree about many of his postings: they are rude, annoying, and insulting. Still, I have to agree with his basic analogy about Phoenix's lack of certain amenities ... as noted below:

Quote:
Regarding size, I was talking about population. And for PHXs population, its share of Fortune 500 companies is very weak and outclassed by many smaller cities
This statement is very true. Personally, I think it's quite embarrassing that WalMart is the metro area's largest employer, when just 15 years ago, Motorola & other electronic/high tech firms were on top. I've said for years that the Phoenix area makes too much of an effort to attract the sun freaks, retirees, and transient types ... which is WHY the Valley has a serious lack of Fortune 500 firms, college grads, and the like. It's apparent that some don't mind the sunny, cheap, low wage lifestyle ... but as a native, I think we have the potential to do much better! It wasn't so bad when the place was smaller, but now that we are one of the nation's largest cities/metro areas, it only makes sense to become more world class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak999 View Post
Phoenix has land and it has growth in population while Chicago does not. Chicago is 210 square miles and always will be. Phoenix is expected to be over 600 square miles when finished.
Why is this a good thing? Does the idea of more sprawl really add charm, vibrance, and quality of life to a city? No. It adds increased traffic, increased commute times, and more of a heat island effect. Phoenix is already comprised of 500 square miles, and much of the far northern stretch is still empty desert. So what will the extra 100 square miles be ... more WalMarts, Circle Ks, and cookie cutter homes in between vacant land parcels???

I'm certainly not against growth ... but we have to do it more wisely. It's time to build UPward more than outward. We certainly have plenty of vacant spaces inside the city limits for lots of high quality infill projects, including midrises & highrises.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:27 PM

105 posts, read 375,679 times
Quote:
Well, "gentlemen", its better to defend ones home than it is to be completely delusional (as you all seem to be regarding PHX). Ill leave it at that.

Again there is a reason people are moving to phx like they are. There is also a reason chicago at one time had over 5 million people and now has 2.85. Phoenix is becomming a world class city its already starting its on its way. But make no mistake about it phoenix is not going to have 100 story buildings although it will have a great downtown.

Phoenix will be defined by its own ID. That is unlike Boston, Chicago others that are NYC wanna-be's.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:32 PM

Everyone needs to keep in mind that, Phoenix is not just "Phoenix". What many refer to as simply "Phoenix" is actually a large number of different, unique cities: Phoenix, Glendale, Mesa, Tempe, Chandler, Gilbert, Scottsdale, Carefree, Cave Creek, Anthem, Peoria, Surprise, Buckeye, Queen Creek, Apache Junction and more.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Yeah buddy, come up here and spout that crap, see how fast your a$$ gets handed to you by real city boys.
Steve- You are right! So sorry. Here is what I meant to say. Sh#tcagoans sit on their fat a#ses and kill each other in gang fights with the "real city" boys.

There. Is that better?

Old 05-31-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Everyone needs to keep in mind that, Phoenix is not just "Phoenix". What many refer to as simply "Phoenix" is actually a large number of different, unique cities: Phoenix, Glendale, Mesa, Tempe, Chandler, Gilbert, Scottsdale, Carefree, Cave Creek, Anthem, Peoria, Surprise, Buckeye, Queen Creek, Apache Junction and more.
Agreed but Phoenix is the anchor city for the region and its a HUGE anchor city at over 550 square miles. The other cities are suburbs of Phoenix.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak999 View Post
Agreed but Phoenix is the anchor city for the region and its a HUGE anchor city at over 550 square miles. The other cities are suburbs of Phoenix.
Scottsdale is far from being a "suburb" of Phoenix. Same with Glendale, or Mesa or Tempe, or Gilbert etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area