Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 01:49 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinezac View Post
Yeah it is been pretty clear that the police, especially Gilbert were trying to brush the beating aside. One of the reasons the media got involved was because it was so obvious, they have like a dozen cases not follow up on. Gilbert PD was hoping it would just go away.
As in the Goons would graduate, go off to college, earn their degrees, and go on to great things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2023, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
The QC police have recently submitted or "filed" charges to the county prosecutor. To misrepresent that this hasn't occurred is inaccurate. The prosecutor ultimately decides if they will be brought to trial. This is the normal process, correct?
No and no. There are no charges against anyone. The QC police submitted a referral for charges. They did not arrest and charge. They lefit it up to the county attorney to decide if charges should be filed at all. That is not how it is usually done.

Here is another case for comparison; The Heike murder. Random, violent attack just like in QC. Pretty blonde female victim. Young black man arrested within days. The county attorney just said she will seek the death penalty for him (and he deserves it if guilty). But in the Preston Lord case as weil as all the other beatings in Gilbert it's been months with no arrests and now an investigation but no charges by QC police. It just does not seem like equal application of the law to me.

Old 12-30-2023, 02:25 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
We disagree. Backgrounds ALWAYS matter. i.e. Parenting. Rotten kids == not-so-good parents. Period. Well, I better clarify. There is one exception: kids with a mental illness.
Generally that is the case, but not always. Even some of the best families have kids who get involved with the wrong crowd, and that's when the trouble begins. While it's easy to blame bad parenting ... and in fact, it does make a difference a good share of the time, sometimes kids from good backgrounds become the exact opposite of their parents. Again, hanging with the wrong type of crowd is often the cause. You'll notice that in many cases, bullying and assaults such as these are committed not just by one person, but by a group of young thugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Here is another case for comparison; The Heike murder. Random, violent attack just like in QC. Pretty blonde female victim. Young black man arrested within days. The county attorney just said she will seek the death penalty for him (and he deserves it if guilty). But in the Preston Lord case as weil as all the other beatings in Gilbert it's been months with no arrests and now an investigation but no charges by QC police. It just does not seem like equal application of the law to me.
In either case, the punishment will not suit the crime that was committed. The death penalty has become an absolute joke because the criminal will often sit on death row for decades getting free shelter, meals, visitations, internet, recreational facilities courtesy of our taxes, with an absolutely absurd amount of appeals. Swift & timely executions in the same form as how the crime was committed is the most effective punishment ... and you know very well it will never happen like it should with our current "justice system".

Old 12-30-2023, 06:09 PM

1,470 posts, read 1,414,990 times
I witnessed a Gilbert teen beating last night. He was playing QB for Ohio State.

Old 12-30-2023, 09:10 PM

805 posts, read 539,960 times
Instead of posting links that are behind paywalls, you should post the URL to archive.is.
If that URL is not in archive.is's database, you can add it, and then post the link.

Here is the link to the first story:
https://archive.is/udPK0

Here's the link to teh second story:
https://archive.is/KyIZ8

Old 12-30-2023, 09:34 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
Instead of posting links that are behind paywalls, you should post the URL to archive.is.
If that URL is not in archive.is's database, you can add it, and then post the link.

Here is the link to the first story:
https://archive.is/udPK0

Here's the link to teh second story:
https://archive.is/KyIZ8
Don't have a dog in this hunt, but both links worked perfectly fine for me.

So I guess it's people who don't know how to configure their browsers properly that have to be worried.

Old 12-31-2023, 02:32 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Generally that is the case, but not always. Even some of the best families have kids who get involved with the wrong crowd, and that's when the trouble begins. While it's easy to blame bad parenting ... and in fact, it does make a difference a good share of the time, sometimes kids from good backgrounds become the exact opposite of their parents. Again, hanging with the wrong type of crowd is often the cause. You'll notice that in many cases, bullying and assaults such as these are committed not just by one person, but by a group of young thugs.
We disagree. Don't confuse 'parents that are good' with 'good people that are good parents.' I've known good people who don't follow through with punishments, are too busy and at arm's length with their kids, insult their children, let their kids talk back, etc, etc. And then through their early mismanagement, the kids screw up worse as they get older and sometimes they clamp down hard and the rest is history.

Furthermore, a good parent manages who their kids hang out with. I’m not talking about controlling small shenanigans like going to a party, etc. I had to redirect some problematic friends with mature interactive conversations with our kids. The approach matters. But when your kids grow up and want to pummel innocent children, you are a horsecrap parent! I wasn’t a perfect parent. But who they are as an adult now is NOT an accident. If I'm being honest, I can see the (minor) flaws that I made come out in their personalities today. No one is perfect.

While we are gabbing, sometimes despite being lousy parents, kids turn out great. Some kids finally grow up as an adult. IMO and at a certain level, you are never completely done as a parent. Our adult kids call us 3-5 times a week on their way to work and we have discussions on all kinds of topics. That's still parenting. I digress.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 12-31-2023 at 02:48 AM..

Old 12-31-2023, 03:03 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:
=Tall Traveler;66193221]Are you saying Mormon kids would murder other kids and nothing done to them?
Yes, it would happen. I was stationed in Utah during the 80’s at the height of the Mark Hofmann murders, the Salamander Letter forgery and the Church’s cover up. The whole thing undercut the Church’s alleged powers of “discernment” and their prophecies. THAT is what they covered up and finally was able to spin to keep the cult going.

One of the Church’s most powerful marketing shticks is that Mormonism is a great way to raise a family. It’s all horse hockey.

Anything that compromises or threatens the image of the Church is denied, hidden, distorted, altered,
manipulated and tampered with.

All big churches/religious corporations do it. The Mormons are not alone. However they are particularly hyper sensitive and vigilant about things that affect their image.

Old 01-01-2024, 04:39 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Yes, it would happen. I was stationed in Utah during the 80’s at the height of the Mark Hofmann murders, the Salamander Letter forgery and the Church’s cover up. The whole thing undercut the Church’s alleged powers of “discernment” and their prophecies. THAT is what they covered up and finally was able to spin to keep the cult going.

One of the Church’s most powerful marketing shticks is that Mormonism is a great way to raise a family. It’s all horse hockey.

Anything that compromises or threatens the image of the Church is denied, hidden, distorted, altered,
manipulated and tampered with.

All big churches/religious corporations do it. The Mormons are not alone. However they are particularly hyper sensitive and vigilant about things that affect their image.
Well, the Mormons seem to be good at sexual abuse cover-ups. "All too often, protecting the reputation of the church and its hierarchy seems to be given precedence." They have a long list of examples. https://www.selectjustice.com/mormon-church-lawsuit

And you are right, they are not alone.

Old 01-12-2024, 11:39 AM

Dozens of Chandler residents, fearing teen violence spreading into their city, met to urge Chandler to take the lead in a regional effort to address the problem. Residents of QC and Gilbert welcomed the effort as they believe their own cities are not doing enough.

Frankly, this is something that every affluent city in the valley should be doing. This sort of thing can quickly "go viral" through social media. We certainly have enough drug related gang violence in the metro already and do not need affluent teens preying upon each other for thrills.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...e/72161876007/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area