Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2023, 09:57 AM

22 posts, read 24,216 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Finally decided on retiring in Phoenix / Scottsdale. Seeking advice on selecting an attorney / law firm for our anticipated house closing in either North Phoenix or Scottsdale, depending on which house we decide on and if our offer is accepted. We are out of state but just returned from a 4-day house hunting trip.

Our small RE broker can provide a referral of course but a R.E. lawyer independent from our broker is probably a good idea to avoid any conflicts.

Open to all suggestions and recommendations. Please DM me if forum rules do not allow for specific naming.

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2023, 10:05 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,141,969 times
Sorry...having purchased a few homes...why would you need a RE Lawyer? Is there something wrong with the title?

Old 12-21-2023, 10:11 AM

1,471 posts, read 1,417,441 times
Thankfully, title companies are used in AZ. I Recommend Great American Title, and their North Central office...N 16th St, I recall. I didn't like Lawyers...

The title companies have their own attorneys, and will sell you the appropriate title insurance.

Old 12-21-2023, 10:39 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
As poster above said, it's all done by the title company. The seller usually already has one lined up, but I suppose you could haggle over that. There is little point in it though. The title company handles escrow, appraisal, title search and insurance, flood determination and a dozen other things. You will likely never see a title agent - maybe once on your closing day. Everything is online now. Also know that Arizona is a dry signing state which means, practically, that you do not get your keys at closing but after the deed is recorded.

Old 12-21-2023, 11:42 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,269,687 times
Some states require lawyers to close. In Arizona, "your" agent and title should take care of everything. If you are using the listing agent, good luck, as their loyalty is to the seller.

Old 12-22-2023, 06:45 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,896,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnxyz View Post
We are out of state!
You must be from one of those states where lawyers are involved in the transaction and closing.

We don't do that in AZ.

Realtors and title insurance companies handle all that from start to finish.

You are certainly free to hire an attorney if you feel the need for one, but the attorney won't be involved in the closing. Nor is he likely to be involved in creating your purchase contract because the Arizona Association of Realtors provides standard contract and ancillary forms to realtors.

Here's a sample contract.

https://www.aaronline.com/wp-content...-22-SAMPLE.pdf

I suggest that the time to study it is while you are looking instead of having it put in front of you at the last minute.

There are other sample forms that are often involved in the transaction.

https://www.aaronline.com/manage-ris...saction-forms/

Old 12-24-2023, 05:48 AM

22 posts, read 24,216 times
Thank you everyone for clarification on the title company role in AZ R.E. closings -very helpful.

Old 12-25-2023, 03:13 PM

144 posts, read 146,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Sorry...having purchased a few homes...why would you need a RE Lawyer? Is there something wrong with the title?
Might be used to being stuck using an attorney as we are in South Carolina. Rules change state to state.

Old 12-27-2023, 10:21 AM

720 posts, read 733,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnxyz View Post
Thank you everyone for clarification on the title company role in AZ R.E. closings -very helpful.
Yep being an agent in NJ (requires an attorney) and AZ (doesn't require) I can tell you things in AZ run a lot more smoothly - in NJ it was always dealing with egos on both sides that killed the deals esp duringinspection?! How can you properly negotiate from behind the desk when you have never visited the home? anyway - attorneys here are great I would take a recommendation from your realtor if you choose to use one - certainly your perogative. Good luck!

Old 12-31-2023, 09:41 AM

144 posts, read 146,497 times
In SC they made us pay to close with an attorney (the law I was told).
Fact of the matter never saw him. A legal aide did the closing and all the work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: