Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 639 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a 55 year old looking at living in Scottsdale. I have an elderly mother living in the midwest. The friends I do have are busy with their lives and kids back in Chicago. I'm basically alone and bored. I also need to mention that I'm not fit at all, I have a couple health issues.

Do I buy a home or go into a retirement place? Is there a ton of things to do and make friends if I have a home or will it be difficult? If I'm in a retirement place there are people already there and many things to do and yet, I am young for this?

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome and sure appreciated, thank you!

Last edited by OnTheFences; 04-07-2024 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2024, 04:26 PM

414 posts, read 533,721 times
How about Sun City West and have your mom move in with you? Your best chance of friends will probably be people from the midwest.

Old 04-07-2024, 04:28 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
IMO....55 is waaaaay too young to join the gray helmets in a retirement community....says a 77 yo white helmet.

Old 04-07-2024, 06:58 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
IMO....55 is waaaaay too young to join the gray helmets in a retirement community....says a 77 yo white helmet.
Hardly. I was 56 when I moved into one and it was the best move I ever made.

People from all over the country and all over the world live here. Major metro of 5 million so everything I ever need is here.

I hope you never move into one because 77 is too old to be the new person.

Old 04-08-2024, 05:12 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
If you move into a 55+ community pick it well. Some have a lot of folks in their late 50's and early 60's and others are full of 80 year olds. Each community is unique. Big difference between Sun City Grand and the original Sun City.

Old 04-08-2024, 05:44 AM

179 posts, read 131,748 times
First things first. Do whatever it takes to get fit. Exercise, even if it's just walking a bit every day. Eat well. Take care of yourself so that you don't run into health issues. That should be your number one concern right now, not trying to figure out if you should own a home or live in a retirement community. Unless, of course, it's your plan to just wither away and die.

Old 04-08-2024, 06:10 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
If you move into a 55+ community pick it well. Some have a lot of folks in their late 50's and early 60's and others are full of 80 year olds. Each community is unique. Big difference between Sun City Grand and the original Sun City.
Or even more, Sun City Festival.

Here's what happens. A new "active adult" development happens in the outer burbs. The 1st group has a range from 55-70(ish). It builds out over 5-8 years while the hood slowly ages inside of the community. If the community is 10 years old, then, the range increases by about 10 years. If it is 20 years old, it ages again and approaches 70-85 years old. Once the community is really old, people die off or end up in a home. Eventually, a fresh group enters.

The last point is the average age noticeably depends on the wealth of the buyers. The wealthier areas register as "active adults" and are not restricted to a "55+" constraint. That's because there will be buyers who unplugged from working far earlier than 55 years old. Additionally, successful people often are healthier https://www.forbes.com/sites/jennife...h=36f6f6a250f8 . So the most expensive active adult areas are going to be a lot younger chronologically as well as how they act. Meaning, when people let you know they are 77 years old for instance, you are in disbelief because of how well they have taken care of themselves. A lot of successful 70+ year olds may mountain bike, run for fun, work out 5 days a week, play tennis, golf every day, etc.

Old 04-08-2024, 07:02 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Hardly. I was 56 when I moved into one and it was the best move I ever made.

People from all over the country and all over the world live here. Major metro of 5 million so everything I ever need is here.

I hope you never move into one because 77 is too old to be the new person.
Thanks, I have no intention of doing so.

Old 04-08-2024, 09:33 AM

235 posts, read 208,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFences View Post
Hi, I'm a 55 year old looking at living in Scottsdale. I have an elderly mother living in the midwest. The friends I do have are busy with their lives and kids back in Chicago. I'm basically alone and bored. I also need to mention that I'm not fit at all, I have a couple health issues.

Do I buy a home or go into a retirement place? Is there a ton of things to do and make friends if I have a home or will it be difficult? If I'm in a retirement place there are people already there and many things to do and yet, I am young for this?

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome and sure appreciated, thank you!
You can google and get demographics of anywhere like :
https://www.point 2homes.com/US/Neighborhood/AZ/Surprise/Sun-City-Grand-Demographics.html
medium age is only 56. I think you need to consider your lifestyle also. When my husband & I looked at 55 and over communities we realized we would not really use many of the amenities. Maybe the pools or outdoor concerts. We had to consider also if we still want a SFH (and it's upkeep) with a yard since we like having pets and family with small kids come visit or a townhouse (with a pricey HOA) where neighboring walls have to be a consideration. CD has lots of people who will even private message you with their opinions of the 55 and over community they live in. You could stay a few nights at one of these communities and they will take you all over on a tour. Good Luck

Old 04-08-2024, 11:29 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEOPATRAZEUS View Post
You can google and get demographics of anywhere like :
https://www.point 2homes.com/US/Neighborhood/AZ/Surprise/Sun-City-Grand-Demographics.html
medium age is only 56. I think you need to consider your lifestyle also. When my husband & I looked at 55 and over communities we realized we would not really use many of the amenities. Maybe the pools or outdoor concerts. We had to consider also if we still want a SFH (and it's upkeep) with a yard since we like having pets and family with small kids come visit or a townhouse (with a pricey HOA) where neighboring walls have to be a consideration. CD has lots of people who will even private message you with their opinions of the 55 and over community they live in. You could stay a few nights at one of these communities and they will take you all over on a tour. Good Luck
According to https://www.suncitygrand-realestate....sun-city-grand The Median age is around 69 years old. There is no chance it's 56 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area