Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 5,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NytoPhx View Post
I am moving to Tempe next week and wanted to know of any relatively cheap furniture store in the nearby area. I keep hearing Mesa has a few stores that are either going out of business or are extremely cheap. If anybody knows of such stores or any other nearby I would appreciate it.
Hi, if you go to directbuy.com, you will be glad you did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 12:28 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,863,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntrebizo View Post
Hi, if you go to directbuy.com, you will be glad you did.
Don't you have to pay a big $$$ upfront for this? The OP is just furnishing a small apt and isn't going to buy a huge amount. Also, I heard this wasn't a cheap as they portray on their adds. What was your experience?

Old 06-12-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I am moving to Tempe next week and wanted to know of any relatively cheap furniture store in the nearby area. I keep hearing Mesa has a few stores that are either going out of business or are extremely cheap. If anybody knows of such stores or any other nearby I would appreciate it.

I agree with the other poster who suggested IKEA. Have you ever been to one? If not, even if you don't buy there, it's still fun to go check it out. It's HUGE and filled with everything you could possibly think of (many items less than $10 by the check out). Plus a lot of the stuff comes in boxes and you assemble (it's fun not hard) and I do think they have delivery that is pretty reasonable.

The furniture is very cute and most is quite sturdy if assembled correctly. The designs are modern/trendy/simple...I go there sometimes even though I can afford a fancier store.

They even have a little cafe in the store and it's not bad. Try the sweedish meatballs.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:50 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,614,622 times
Quote:
directbuy.com
Quote:
Don't you have to pay a big $$$ upfront for this? The OP is just furnishing a small apt and isn't going to buy a huge amount. Also, I heard this wasn't a cheap as they portray on their adds. What was your experience?
One post. Only suggestion is Direct Buy...Smells like Spam.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:12 PM

8,342 posts, read 13,485,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
I agree with the other poster who suggested IKEA. Have you ever been to one? If not, even if you don't buy there, it's still fun to go check it out. It's HUGE and filled with everything you could possibly think of (many items less than $10 by the check out). Plus a lot of the stuff comes in boxes and you assemble (it's fun not hard) and I do think they have delivery that is pretty reasonable.

The furniture is very cute and most is quite sturdy if assembled correctly. The designs are modern/trendy/simple...I go there sometimes even though I can afford a fancier store.

They even have a little cafe in the store and it's not bad. Try the sweedish meatballs.
I second that as well, decent-ish quality overall and reasonably priced for the most furniture items. There are ton of household items at bargain prices. Their cafeteria rocks and if you are single, you may even find that special one in that huge place, heck even the sales people are cute.

Smoe of the 99 cent stores have furniture sections with some good deals once in a while.

Real cheap ones could be found on craig'slist.com, salvation army or even at garage sales but not likely to be new.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:37 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,709,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I second that as well, decent-ish quality overall and reasonably priced for the most furniture items. There are ton of household items at bargain prices. Their cafeteria rocks and if you are single, you may even find that special one in that huge place, heck even the sales people are cute.
If you have a face like me, the friendly ikea girls run scared.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:45 PM

219 posts, read 779,672 times
Thanks, living in Tempe, IKEA is tops on my list. I thought the buyer has to assemble all of their products, and I am not particularly handy, and lacking tools, but then I've heard you can buy from them and they'll deliver and assemble for a fee.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:50 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,213,147 times
As far as Ikea, most of the assembly is not difficult. And Ikea even sells a small tool kit with the basics (ie screwdriver, hammer, pliers, etc.) for like $7 in a hard plastic case. Excellent if you just want something to put together furniture or have around the house to hang pictures and stuff-a $7 well spent. My son bought a table and all it involved was a few screws. My niece bought a few end tables which were also just a few screws.

A warning: when you go, block out at least a few hours. The place is HUGE.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Thanks, living in Tempe, IKEA is tops on my list. I thought the buyer has to assemble all of their products, and I am not particularly handy, and lacking tools, but then I've heard you can buy from them and they'll deliver and assemble for a fee.
I just bought 2 night tables with drawers and a chest of drawers for my father in laws new apartment. The boxes they come in are surprisingly small, but very heavy. They fit easily in my car.

Don't be afraid of the assembly, it really is easy and kind of fun. The poster above is right, they do sell a little tool kit for cheap. I would imagine you could furnish your entire apartment and assemble everything in a day or two. You'll be surprised at how sturdy this stuff is when you finish. And you feel quite proud after you see what your effort has produced. (Silly, but true.)
Good luck. I just know you are going to find some things you really like at IKEA...it's a great concept.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:30 AM

88 posts, read 483,122 times
My son bought his bedroom furniture at the same Ikea when he moved to AZ. He assembled it himself too. He did recommend buying an inexpensive power screwdriver, said it saved him loads of time. (not expensive at all) The furniture he chose is very,very nice...Later he went back and purchased his computer desk,etc. for his second bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area