Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 09:29 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,152,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi927 View Post
LOL...as an admitted bugphobe myself, something tells me if they are freaked about cockroaches they won't exactly be importing scorpions in

Since living in Brooklyn, now Florida...cockroaches are nothing...I'm not sure about how I'll deal with the scorpions if we make the move....they freak me out way more than a roach ever could!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 10:04 AM

39,097 posts, read 51,306,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Since living in Brooklyn, now Florida...cockroaches are nothing...I'm not sure about how I'll deal with the scorpions if we make the move....they freak me out way more than a roach ever could!
There is an excellent chance you will never even see a scorpion. They are around, but they hide and come out at night.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:28 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,176,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There is an excellent chance you will never even see a scorpion. They are around, but they hide and come out at night.
VERY true! I never saw one until about 3 years ago (Out of the 31 years of life here). Since then I have only seen I think two more! None of them were within 20 miles of my home!

Old 01-15-2007, 02:38 PM

163 posts, read 825,160 times
Cool scorpions

I have seen scorpions, fortunately most are dead. lol If you move into an area that is still being developed you will see them. Also neighbors in my development all know that when somebody is putting in a pool, becuase of all the digging, etc, everyb ody else will be noticing more scorpions.
Just be aware, look around, don't leave doors, open, etc, leave your garage open, hey whatever is out there can stop by.
I don't like them either, but I would rather see a million scorpions then a snake, now that is my fear, but have not seen one in a while. yipee

Old 01-15-2007, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 9,395 times
Default Cockroaches

JWhalen if you are still asking in regards to this -- I couldn't resist responding. I moved here a year ago. As soon as winter is over I am on my way back, not just because of the bugs but they did influence my decision heavily. I experienced massive sewer roaches coming up the drains in a very nice home without a pool or any trees. I have since moved away from that home, but still find there are way too many bugs and critters in AZ for me. I am going back where I came from, where the worst bug there is a tiny spider. This is just my experience, but I have asked others and they experience the big roaches during monsoon season often also. Sorry.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:56 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,911,888 times
ju7w -- ---- interesting and yet not very pleasant to have to deal with. What area of the metro Phoenix was this house located in?

Old 01-15-2007, 03:01 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,176,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ju7w View Post
JWhalen if you are still asking in regards to this -- I couldn't resist responding. I moved here a year ago. As soon as winter is over I am on my way back, not just because of the bugs but they did influence my decision heavily. I experienced massive sewer roaches coming up the drains in a very nice home without a pool or any trees. I have since moved away from that home, but still find there are way too many bugs and critters in AZ for me. I am going back where I came from, where the worst bug there is a tiny spider. This is just my experience, but I have asked others and they experience the big roaches during monsoon season often also. Sorry.
Wow, where are you from? I have never heard of a single person who complained about our bugs! In my opinion, we don't have that many. I have been on numerous trips to Chicago and NY and they have bugs much more than we do.

About sewer roaches, I don't know why you had them. I ONLY experienced them in a crappy, old apt on a lake, and a few little roaches in two older homes and where I work now (an older office building).

You mentioned "a very nice home", is it an older home (80's or older)? Was it anywhere near water? Near a storm drain? I just can't get over what you experienced.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:30 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,444,370 times
We have more bugs because of the environment. None of them are pests, other than mosquitos, and only the lower portion of Illinois has venomous snakes, and then only 4 species with isolated populations. AZ bugs are different, lots are dangerous and extremely unpleasant to be around. Scorpions, black widows, rattlesnakes, sun spiders, whipscorpions, vinegaroons, tarantulas, giant centipedes. We may have a bit more bugs here in Chicagoland, but none are harmful (spare the super rare disease from a mosquito bite), I think thats where the other poster was coming from. The desert doesnt support much life, but those that call it home are nasty. Heck, I bet Id be nasty too if I had to deal with minimal food sources, 120 degree temps and no water. LOL j/k

In all honesty, I love AZ for its critters, but to someone who is an arachnophobe or has ophidiophobia, AZ is the ultimate nightmare.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:25 PM

63 posts, read 265,068 times
I've lived in my house in Arrowhead (NW Valley area) for 5 1/2 years, and I have never seen a scorpion here, or had any big spiders in my house! A few little ones here and there, but I've found that EVERYWHERE I've ever lived in the US! And I have never had a cockroach in this house either.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:38 AM

19 posts, read 140,130 times
Thanks for the responses. The thought of sewer roaches really freaks me out. I'm planning to visit this summer just to see if I could handle Arizona, the bugs, heat, etc....we'll see.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area